Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

image0.jpg

PSVR on the left and PSVR 2 on the right

PS5 + PSVR2 ready to pick up the High End VR Torch after PC Market dropped it with weak but cableless solutions.

Huh? There are loads of high end headsets in the PC space, including headsets with eye tracking.

They're all just stupidly expensive.

I agree there is nothing in the PC space to counter this at a reasonable cost. At least not yet.

Their comments on eye tracking are exciting. They don't give numbers, but the emotional response is very impactful, plus they say they were unable to break eye-tracking, it's that fast.

How many have sold?

That's my point. The high end torch isn't being handed over in the sense that the technical pinnacle now resides somewhere else. It's just that that level of technical sophistication has now been brought to a much wider market via a significantly cheaper headset.

If we are saying that the primary home of high end VR gaming will now reside on the PS5 though then I agree. The PC VR market is a complete mess frankly.

Huh? There are loads of high end headsets in the PC space, including headsets with eye tracking.

They're all just stupidly expensive.

I agree there is nothing in the PC space to counter this at a reasonable cost. At least not yet.
Of course there are a couple good HMDs.. But it is irrelevant if there are no games that max them out.
Those cheaper mobile chipset HMDs took off and Devs started to focus on those..
Wich means of course dumbed down versions of games..
With a premium HMD you can crank everything up to max but that will still a slightly better version of mentioned mobile HMDs..

But there is a light in the tunnel with PSVR2..
If a AAA type of game is successful there it might be ported over to the better PC VR Headsets..

That's my point. The high end torch isn't being handed over in the sense that the technical pinnacle now resides somewhere else. It's just that that level of technical sophistication has now been brought to a much wider market via a significantly cheaper headset.

If we are saying that the primary home of high end VR gaming will now reside on the PS5 though then I agree. The PC VR market is a complete mess frankly.
For now the technical pinnacle absolutely resides on PSVR2s side.
Literally every single Tech aspect is better on PSVR2 ... Except for some "PC" HMDs for Enterprise use wich are produced in low 4 digit numbers or so..

I wonder what made you make such hot claim..
Wasn't there even rumors about a particular game would run better on PSVR2 than on a RTX 3090?

Related to Foveated Rendering with Eye Tracking i believe...

For now the technical pinnacle absolutely resides on PSVR2s side.
Literally every single Tech aspect is better on PSVR2 ... Except for some "PC" HMDs for Enterprise use wich are produced in low 4 digit numbers or so..

This is clearly not true. There are headsets in the PC space that have higher resolution, and/or higher FOV, and/or higher refresh rates, and/or superior tracking/passthrough than PSVR2 as well as head sets with eye tracking.

PSVR2 is a very compelling package which brings everything together at a tremendous price but to say "Literally every single Tech aspect is better on PSVR2" is... excuse my french, total bollocks.

I wonder what made you make such hot claim..
Wasn't there even rumors about a particular game would run better on PSVR2 than on a RTX 3090?

Yes, comparing eye tracked foveated rendering to straight up full resolution. Most (probably all I guess) PC headsets these days will allow at the very least, fixed foveated rendering which would give you 50-70% of the performance benefit of eye tracked foveated rendering with a small visual hit, but there are around half a dozen PC headsets that also offer the same eye tracked foveated rendering that PSVR2 does which would eliminate that performance advantage. Again, these are way too expensive in the PC space right now but the tech will obviously be fairly standard in new headsets moving forwards.

Psvr2 will be niche aswell, the vr market just aint that big (yet). Its amount of aaa games isnt all that enticing either. The stab at tve pcvr market may be on its place however at the same time its not that much better for consoles.

Psvr2 will be niche aswell, the vr market just aint that big (yet). Its amount of aaa games isnt all that enticing either. The stab at tve pcvr market may be on its place however at the same time its not that much better for consoles.
Niche in the console space. Forecasts are still for 1.5M this financial year, and maybe 1 million within the launch period. That's a pretty solid number for VR and I think the first time high-end hardware is present in such numbers to warrant it being targeted specifically, as opposed to running low-end VR in higher fidelity.

Of course, Quest trumps PSVR2 numbers and it may still end up taking more ports than bespoke high-end experiences, but I think there's a good case PSVR2 will be the first real 'next gen' VR step. Similar to the PC space getting better hardware and GPU features but it not being targeted fully until a new console generation comes out.

Haven't time to parse the numbers now myself but this report gives an insight into the breakdown of 3 million Steam VR users. Someone can work out approximate numbers for headsets and compare specs to PSVR2:

1676105977683.png

Edit: Approximate numbers:

Quest 2 - 1.6M
Quest - 0.14M
Vive Pro - 0.06M
Rift S - 0.46M
Rift - 0.15M
Index - 0.5M
Cosmos - 0.06M
HTC Vive - 0.26M
WMR - 0.19M

Which of these headsets is comparable to PSVR2 in terms of 'high-end' VR, especially with eye-tracking? Looks like PSVR2 should be a massive increase in high-end headsets if Sony's forecasts play out.

Last edited:
most of the best Quest games end up on PSVR2 (and PC) because the ports are easy to do and enhance. So PSVR2 should be fine with games.
the entry price is high for sure, but way lower than a decent PC VR config.
PSVR2 VS Quest 2-3 will be an interesting competition, and what's needed to make the medium grow higher.

Back