Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

Well. I suppose it will be more like 100 degrees horizontal then.

PSVR actually has a wider FOV than the Quests from what I gather. I don't find it noticeably narrower than the Reverbs or Odyssey+. The Reverbs are rather goggle like actually, but the G2 can be easily modded with velcro and a separate mask to get your eyes closer to the lenses.

Last edited:
The flight sim is probably also CPU limited. Maybe GPU utilization could be monitored.
Unfortunately the Aero wasn't mine and the friend that had it sold it and went with a triple screen setup and uses his old g2 for vr. I didn't really mess around too much with the settings (not my machine and all) but I did drop the land sea traffic and airport life right down and left the rest of the settings alone (high and ultra for the most part) because those settings can normally help out when cpu bound and I didn't get a performance increase so the gpu shouldn't have been being underutilized but that's hardly enough to say there was no bottle neck somewhere.

I wish I had tried it on something I was a bit more familiar with like ACC, because using fixed foveated rendering on that i know increases performance by about 20%-50% depending on hmd and resolution.

I think @Shifty Geezer may have been referring to the horizontal portion. i.e. do we know if they are providing the horizontal or diagonal measurement. I suspect 110 is diagonal based on the PSVR comparison of 100 (which has a 96 degree horizontal).
Not sure of PSVR's figures. Googlage yesterday suggests PSVR's FOV figures was an approximate of the horizontal. Tables like this state 96ª horizontal...but then 111ª vertical! So clearly the wrong way around. Those figures suspiciously close to the 960 x 1080 per-eye screen dimensions too.

I can't find any clear measures for PSVR and PSVR2 FOV, whether diagonal or horizontal. The lack of standardisation here is a blight on the industry. I also guess there's no easy way to measure it from the headset.

Not sure of PSVR's figures. Googlage yesterday suggests PSVR's FOV figures was an approximate of the horizontal. Tables like this state 96ª horizontal...but then 111ª vertical! So clearly the wrong way around. Those figures suspiciously close to the 960 x 1080 per-eye screen dimensions too.

I can't find any clear measures for PSVR and PSVR2 FOV, whether diagonal or horizontal. The lack of standardisation here is a blight on the industry. I also guess there's no easy way to measure it from the headset.
Psvr1 96.2x111.4

So it was actually a taller aspect. Go figure! I guess the optics can't stretch the display aspect into something wider, so view FOV aspect is governed simply by display FOV and distance to eye.

So PSVR has a larger FOV than the Reverbs then. I've played a lot of it in the past few months and have no complaints about it aside from the motion control button layout. It's a very comfortable HMD. The weight, lens-distance-from-face adjustment, gasket, and head mount design are great, even with my giant head. It also doesn't noticeably warm up like others.

The eye distance from lenses has a major effect on FOV with all HMDs. They are your port holes into the world after all.

The discussion of Pentile vs RGB is interesting. I use the Odyssey+ a lot and while it looks great at >200 % supersampling, with clarity approaching the Reverbs, it has a red/blue/purple fringing effect on edges and a very slight purple shift overall. I don't want to say it's awful but it's certainly not optimal and is a visual curiosity. On the other hand it is absolutely more immersive on the dynamic range / contrast ratio / color saturation fronts than any LCD HMD that I've used. The Odyssey+ has a FOV of ~100° horizontal and ~130° vertical.

PSVR on the other hand sometimes has a curious look to its pixels that I would describe as looking at sparkling sequin. They also typically do not let it generate total darkness, opting for a kind of dark film grain instead, to keep it from black smearing. This is unfortunate in that the range is substantially reduced and dark games are more difficult to make out IMO. On the upside, OLED black smear is a major problem and some people would not approve of it. I wonder if PSVR2 will do the dark film grain thing as well.

Last edited:
Back