Sony acquires Insomniac Games

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Shifty Geezer, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Quantic Dreams is more of a choose your own adventure experience (an evolution of Point and Click adventure games) where viewing and watching is far more important than any sort of gameplay.

Remedy seeks to have a TV type storytelling experience combined with more a more traditional gaming experience.

Regards,
    SB

2. milk

Veteran Regular

I call it, a decolution.
    But it's my personal opinion. And digression.

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

A thought came to me the other day while I was out and about. With Remedy wanting to blend TV type storytelling with traditional gameplay, someone like Netflix or Amazon would seem to be an ideal partner for them.

After seeing some gameplay from Control, I'd love to see a Netflix or Amazon original series based on the game.

Basically something like what they tried to do with Quantum Break, only don't force the TV show footage into the game. Make them complementary rather than forced.

Regards,
    SB

4. milk

Veteran Regular

Quantum Break's TV show being kind of forced on the game was only half its problems.
    The other half was it was shit.

5. Sigfried1977

Veteran

I think the QD approach is certainly a lot more interesting. In QD games, the branching narratives are the actual gameplay. That's fairly unique, especially in the realm of big budget games. Too bad the writing isn't better. That's why the best QD game is also the one they didn't actually make: Until Dawn.
    Remedy on the other hand just does what Naughty Dog does these days: loads of cut-scenes interspersed with a bit of by-the-numbers gameplay. I think Ninja Theory also always fell into that category. I mean as much as I enjoyed Hellblade, it's not gonna be remembered for its clunky third person combat or the neverending stream of find-the-rune-and-look-at-it puzzles. Same with Enslaved. I actually think Heavenly Sword is still the best game they've created so far.

I haven't played Control yet, but I thought Alan Wake and Quantum Break were both a bit shit.