THQ Acquires Juice Games Ltd.

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
THQ Acquires Juice Games Ltd.
Critically-Acclaimed Developer of Juiced(TM) Franchise Becomes THQ's First
Internal European Studio
AGOURA HILLS, Calif., March 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- THQ Inc. (Nasdaq: THQI) today announced it has expanded its global studio system by acquiring its first European-based development studio, Juice Games Ltd. The UK-based studio has recently developed the critically-acclaimed Juiced(TM) for the PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox(R) videogame system from Microsoft and Windows PC, and is redefining the handheld racing genre by bringing the franchise to the PSP(R) portable entertainment system in Summer 2006 with the PSP(R) exclusive, Juiced(TM): Eliminator.

Under the terms of the deal, THQ has purchased the entire share capital of Juice Games. Colin Bell, formerly Juice Games' managing director, will assume the role of general manager.

"This acquisition highlights THQ's strategy to work with the very brightest development talent from around the world," said Dan Kelly, senior vice president of business development, THQ Inc. "The Juiced franchise has shipped over one and a half million units so far, a tribute to the talent and passion of the award-winning team at Juice Games. We look forward to the studio bringing more ground-breaking games to the Juiced franchise as well as developing new intellectual properties."

"The decision to partner with THQ reflects the great relationship we have established over the past two years," said Colin Bell, general manager, Juice Games. "Joining THQ marks an exciting step forward for us and will enable us to do what we do best -- develop cutting edge, innovative games."

Juice Games won Best New UK/European Studio in Develop's 2005 Excellence Awards, and their first title, Juiced, topped the All-Format charts in the UK.

About Juiced: Eliminator

Juiced: Eliminator brings real street racing to the PSP, employing the console's wireless functionality to offer never-before-seen multiplayer games and extending the crew & pink-slip racing that helped establish Juiced as a leader in the street-racing genre.

About Juice Games

Juice Games is a UK-based console and handheld games developer. Founded in 2003 and acquired by THQ in 2006, Juice Games employs over 50 staff at its Warrington offices. Juice Games has an unprecedented track record in creating highly-entertaining and challenging games, and is renowned within the UK development community. With a history spanning games such as TFX, EF2000, eRacer, Total Air War, Typhoon and the critically-acclaimed but unreleased Lamborghini, Juice Games enjoys an enviable catalogue. Utilizing its own leading-edge technology, Juice Games has developed the high-profile and well-received Juiced street racing simulation for Xbox(R), PlayStation(R)2 and PC. Juice Games has also enjoyed success with a number of titles for Java, BREW and Symbian mobile platforms.

About THQ

THQ Inc. (Nasdaq: THQI) is a leading worldwide developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software. The company develops its products for all popular game systems, personal computers and wireless devices. Headquartered in Los Angeles County, California, THQ is a top producer of original intellectual properties, including titles such as Destroy All Humans!(TM), Juiced(TM) and Full Spectrum Warrior(TM) as well as the upcoming Saints Row(TM), Titan Quest(TM) and Company of Heroes(TM). More information about THQ and its products may be found at www.thq.com and www.thqwireless.com. THQ, THQ Wireless, Juiced, Juiced: Eliminator, Destroy All Humans, Saints Row, Titan Quest, Company of Heroes and their respective logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of THQ Inc.

All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

"PSP" is a trademark and "PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Memory Stick Duo(TM) may be required (sold separately).

Microsoft, Xbox and the Xbox logos are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or in other countries and are used under license from Microsoft
For thoses who care about industry news...

Can't remember the whole details, but remember when Acclaim lost the rights to publish Criterion's Burnout series to EA? They went from Criterion to Juiced Games to produce a new racing game called Juiced (receive average reviews from what I could remember). And I can't quite remember, but I think some of the Juice Games developers were former Criterion devs who helped with Burnout 1 and possibly 2.

But then Acclaim went out of business and THQ took over the publishing job.

And that was one EA buy-out move that no body seems to care (well, not after the release of Burnout 3 anyway).

.Z

Guden Oden said:
Never even heard of these guys, what have they done?
They made Juiced, the Fruit-Smoothie Simulation game. Running a soft-cocktail bar has never been so challenging or so much fun!

With a history spanning games such as [...] EF2000, [...] Total Air War,
Those were amazig flightsims back in the day. The company was called Digital Image Design (DID) IIRC. They merged with Rage I think (the Expendable and Incoming people). What does/did Juice Games have to do with those? Was it founded when Rage folded?

Edit: According to Wikipedia the answer is: yes. Perhaps I should search before I post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaphod said:
Those were amazig flightsims back in the day. The company was called Digital Image Design (DID) IIRC. They merged with Rage I think (the Expendable and Incoming people). What does/did Juice Games have to do with those? Was it founded when Rage folded?

Edit: According to Wikipedia the answer is: yes. Perhaps I should search before I post.

Wow, DiD is a blast from the past. They were a real class act.

BTW, a bit of googling brought up the fact that DiD and Psygnosis' founders formed the company that is now developing Motorstorm.

Zaphod said:

Ah yes...those were the days. Anyone remeber Epic? (The game, not the company!)
(And Guden - shame on you!)

Snyder said:
(And Guden - shame on you!)
What? :p Is it my fault these juiced people are so completely obscure I couldn't name a single game they've made?

Anyway, too bad Psygnosis disappeared. Hell, there's so many classic studios that have gone the way of the dodo over the last 20 years, mostly UK ones. Guess we have to blame the rise of the PC for that one, or maybe the ineptness of Atari Corp. and Commodore.

Only a very few remain these days. EA (formerly EOA), Lucasarts (formerly Lucasgames, heh), Activision... Not sure if Sierra counts since they're just a brand these days I think... Who else? I can't remember any more (going senile at a young age, or maybe there simply aren't any left to mention. :-?)

I know you don't follow UK Developers too much, but Juice is what Rage became after Acclaim went to the wall.

A lot of the Rage people come from Ocean, originally.

Back