Sony acquires Insomniac Games [2019]

How does Remedy compare to Quantic Dream in your opinion?

Quantic Dreams is more of a choose your own adventure experience (an evolution of Point and Click adventure games) where viewing and watching is far more important than any sort of gameplay.

Remedy seeks to have a TV type storytelling experience combined with more a more traditional gaming experience.

Regards,
SB

A thought came to me the other day while I was out and about. With Remedy wanting to blend TV type storytelling with traditional gameplay, someone like Netflix or Amazon would seem to be an ideal partner for them.

After seeing some gameplay from Control, I'd love to see a Netflix or Amazon original series based on the game.

Basically something like what they tried to do with Quantum Break, only don't force the TV show footage into the game. Make them complementary rather than forced.

Regards,
SB

A thought came to me the other day while I was out and about. With Remedy wanting to blend TV type storytelling with traditional gameplay, someone like Netflix or Amazon would seem to be an ideal partner for them.

After seeing some gameplay from Control, I'd love to see a Netflix or Amazon original series based on the game.

Basically something like what they tried to do with Quantum Break, only don't force the TV show footage into the game. Make them complementary rather than forced.

Regards,
SB

Quantum Break's TV show being kind of forced on the game was only half its problems.
The other half was it was shit.

How does Remedy compare to Quantic Dream in your opinion?

I think the QD approach is certainly a lot more interesting. In QD games, the branching narratives are the actual gameplay. That's fairly unique, especially in the realm of big budget games. Too bad the writing isn't better. That's why the best QD game is also the one they didn't actually make: Until Dawn.
Remedy on the other hand just does what Naughty Dog does these days: loads of cut-scenes interspersed with a bit of by-the-numbers gameplay. I think Ninja Theory also always fell into that category. I mean as much as I enjoyed Hellblade, it's not gonna be remembered for its clunky third person combat or the neverending stream of find-the-rune-and-look-at-it puzzles. Same with Enslaved. I actually think Heavenly Sword is still the best game they've created so far.

I haven't played Control yet, but I thought Alan Wake and Quantum Break were both a bit shit.

Spiderman was such a hit, that it most likely single-handedly funded the purchase of the entire studio, with enough money left behind for production of the sequel.

Reactions: JPT
A new platformer franchise would be nice.

Something old school like ratchet, sly, or jak&daxter. Surely insomniac have some new ideas.

As much as I want a spanking new R&C, I would love to see the return of Resistance on PS5 tech. Imagine the game looking like Edge of Tomorrow or Battle L.A. CG in real time:devilish:
SlightCompassionateHomalocephale-size_restricted.gif
giphy.gif

Resistance 3 was a fantastic single player experience. Had a Half Life vibe to it.

That it didn't do much better commercialy is a travesty.

I liked Resistance 2 coop game, that got hours from me. I am not very in to the online multiplayer competitive things anymore. It just takes to much dedication to feel any level mastery.

I think R3 didn’t do that well was mainly due to the short campaign and getting technically overshadowed by killzone2&3. Insomniac can easily improve upon those come next gen especially as a first party studio now. R4 would look crazy.

I only played Resistance 1, on the launch of PS3. It was very fun and had some awesome technical things. It really looked like "nextgen". :)

I think R3 didn’t do that well was mainly due to the short campaign and getting technically overshadowed by killzone2&3. Insomniac can easily improve upon those come next gen especially as a first party studio now. R4 would look crazy.
I loved Resistance on PS3, I played the demo and played it over and over and bought the game. Great story and great weapons; in particular those spikey grenades were awesome. You could catch a bunch of Chimera in a closed space, toss in a grenade and then go in afterwards and see them all dangling from spikes impaled to the wall and ceiling :mrgreen: I dropped out when Nathan Hale's story was over, though.

I'd thoroughly love a re-imagining on PS5 - much like they did with Ratchet & Clank.

Resistance 3 was a fantastic single player experience. Had a Half Life vibe to it.

That it didn't do much better commercialy is a travesty.

Yeah, I loved R3. Ran at a very low resolution, though. I'd take a remaster for sure.

Back