PlayStation 3 Sales Reach 50 Million PlayStation Move surpass 8 million

This guys, this is the important one:

I thought Move Controller was specified. This at least has been the metric so far. The rest depends on what ratio of double vs single (averaging out the handful that buys 4 Move controllers) sales you keep:

25% double, 75% single controller: (2/2) + 6 = 7 million 'households'
50% double, 50% single controller: (4/2) + 4 = 6 million 'households'
75% double, 25% single controller: (6/2) + 2 = 5 million 'households'

As for stuff like comparing searches or pageviews, Kinect has been in the news a tonne and the various kinect hacks and applications even in the medical world result in far more interest in it outside the gaming industry. Heck even I, a big Move fan, have probably read more about Kinect than Move, but I have a few Move controllers at home and no Kinect.

The above metric however is the one that is the most interesting. It gives the market for games targetting Move owners, and you can be reasonably sure it is between 5-8 million. Also, it gives an indication that there are probably 1-3 million dual Move owners, indicating the marketshare there is for titles like The Fight: Lights Out that require two.

It also means that Move will probably need to sell another 10-16 million Move controllers to reach that magical 15 million milestone, whereas Kinect needs a maximum of 5 million more sold (assuming that the Kinect hackers are still an insignificant number, which seems very likely).

This shall be my last explanatory post. There is a reason why I originally used Wikipedia page views: they are absolutely clear-cut, where Google searches often are not.

To be fair you were the one who first posted google trend results to back up your point, and then argued with shifty to support your post.

Wiki has other issues. In the end neither is much use at tracking product sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Move Controller was specified. This at least has been the metric so far. The rest depends on what ratio of double vs single (averaging out the handful that buys 4 Move controllers) sales you keep:

25% double, 75% single controller: (2/2) + 6 = 7 million 'households'
50% double, 50% single controller: (4/2) + 4 = 6 million 'households'
75% double, 25% single controller: (6/2) + 2 = 5 million 'households'

something don't add up about this.

because with the 50% / 50% one for it to be a 6 million user base that would mean 3 million people bought 2 controllers & 3 million people bought 1 controller that would be 9 million sold

or am I missing something?

fake edit:

yeah I am missing something you're going by 50% of the controllers sold & I was going by 50% of the user-base.

Good sales for Move, nice to see some figures.

Also good to see the 1/2 century hit in sales, though it looks as though that means they have fallen short of their annual sales target for the first time with the PS3.

If they report a miss this will be the second time that I recall (there may have been one additional time). The only reason I have ever questioned their accounting was when they borrowed from a current quarter and added it to a preceding quarter in order to hit their numbers since then the numbers have been believable enough and that was very early in the PS3's life. If they are going to report a miss now would be the time to do it since the markets are giving free passes when companies drop "earthquake", similar to the ever popular "recession" buzz-word bingo.

Overall, I think these are great numbers for the PS3 but insignificant numbers for Move (but great for revenue).

If they report a miss this will be the second time that I recall (there may have been one additional time). The only reason I have ever questioned their accounting was when they borrowed from a current quarter and added it to a preceding quarter in order to hit their numbers since then the numbers have been believable enough and that was very early in the PS3's life. If they are going to report a miss now would be the time to do it since the markets are giving free passes when companies drop "earthquake", similar to the ever popular "recession" buzz-word bingo.

Overall, I think these are great numbers for the PS3 but insignificant numbers for Move (but great for revenue).

I don't think so , even if you're looking at PlayStation Move like a console launch that's 8 million in the 1st 6 months compare that to PS3,Wii,360 1st 6 months / 1st 2 Quarters

Xbox 360 - 3.2 Million in it's 1st 2 Quarters

PS3 - 3.5 Million in it's 1st 2 Quarters

Wii - 5.8 Million in it's 1st 2 Quarters

so even if most of the people that bought PlayStation Move bought 2 controllers that's still a bigger user-base than the Console's 1st 6 months on the market.

I think Kinect's success made people forget about reality & how things usually start off add to that the fact that Add-ons didn't use to work-out , (Eyetoy only had a user base of 10 million out of over 100 million PS2's & I think that was the most successful add-on before ,wii- balance board , & the guitar hero/ rockband games)

so 8 million in the 1st 6 months is far from insignificant numbers

I don't think so , even if you're looking at PlayStation Move like a console launch that's 8 million in the 1st 6 months compare that to PS3,Wii,360 1st 6 months / 1st 2 Quarters

Xbox 360 - 3.2 Million in it's 1st 2 Quarters

PS3 - 3.5 Million in it's 1st 2 Quarters

Wii - 5.8 Million in it's 1st 2 Quarters

so even if most of the people that bought PlayStation Move bought 2 controllers that's still a bigger user-base than the Console's 1st 6 months on the market.

I think Kinect's success made people forget about reality & how things usually start off add to that the fact that Add-ons didn't use to work-out , (Eyetoy only had a user base of 10 million out of over 100 million PS2's & I think that was the most successful add-on before ,wii- balance board , & the guitar hero/ rockband games)

so 8 million in the 1st 6 months is far from insignificant numbers

I've been trying to think of how to respond to this in a manner that doesn't seem contentious so for now I'd suggest we agree to disagree but trying to draw a correlation between Move and new console launches I believe is...bad form.

I've been trying to think of how to respond to this in a manner that doesn't seem contentious so for now I'd suggest we agree to disagree but trying to draw a correlation between Move and new console launches I believe is...bad form.

how so?

the point is it's not doing bad as a platform or as a Add-on so how is 8 million in 6 months insignificant numbers?

even when you compare it to the most successful Add-on platform 'wii balance board" that's about 25 million in just over 3 years it's still not insignificant numbers.

there is a reason why Kinect broke the record for fastest selling consumer electronics device, that's because it is doing way better than anything that came before it that doesn't mean that 8 million is 6 months is insignificant now.

8 million is far from insignificant. It's an excellent number, which is why it surprises me so much. It seems to have come out of left field.

8 million is far from insignificant. It's an excellent number, which is why it surprises me so much. It seems to have come out of left field.

it's the PlayStation Move compatible games that's making it sell so much.

& with Socom 4 & the Sharp Shooter selling pretty good online from what I can see, & games like Tiger Woods , Top Spin 4 & VT4 that seem to be perfect games to buy Move with if you're going to buy the game anyway. & all these silly dance games that people seem to love even though they are just tracking your hand movements ,I wouldn't be surprised if it starts selling better than it did at launch.

as much as I love Sports Champions I think the Socom 4 Sharp Shooter bundle is going to be the bundle that keep the sells going ,with the Sports Champion bundle being almost forgotten.

at 1st it seem like Sony was just talking crazy when they said Move would cater to the hardcore gamers but now it's doing just that with KillZone 3 & Socom 4 & the Sharp Shooter make mr hardcore forget that he is using a controller with a glowing ball on the end of it lol.

Sony's best bet would be to get Move & Sharp Shooter support in the next Call of Duty & sell a bundle like the Socom 4 bundle & also try to get a Just Dance game for the Move with video recording & youtube uploading to separate it from the wii game & sell that as a bundle also.

it's doing pretty good to not have it's (Dance Central , Just Dance , Wii Sports or Wii Fit) game that appeal to the masses.

how so?

the point is it's not doing bad as a platform or as a Add-on so how is 8 million in 6 months insignificant numbers?

even when you compare it to the most successful Add-on platform 'wii balance board" that's about 25 million in just over 3 years it's still not insignificant numbers.

there is a reason why Kinect broke the record for fastest selling consumer electronics device, that's because it is doing way better than anything that came before it that doesn't mean that 8 million is 6 months is insignificant now.

The notion that you seem to believe that sales scale linearly that you are conflating supply constrained console launches with a non-supply constrained peripheral is what I have a problem with. Separate from that I already stated the number of Moves sold is great for revenue but since my background is from a developers/publishers point of view the number of Moves sold is insignificant to me until such time that Move sells software. Wii balance board moves software (even if only one title) and Kinect moves software; sure I can't state with absolute certainty that Killzone 3 or MAG would have sold-through the same number of copies if there were no Move implementation but I would state that the number of people who bought it solely because it had Move controls is statistically insignificant.

The notion that you seem to believe that sales scale linearly that you are conflating supply constrained console launches with a non-supply constrained peripheral is what I have a problem with. Separate from that I already stated the number of Moves sold is great for revenue but since my background is from a developers/publishers point of view the number of Moves sold is insignificant to me until such time that Move sells software. Wii balance board moves software (even if only one title) and Kinect moves software; sure I can't state with absolute certainty that Killzone 3 or MAG would have sold-through the same number of copies if there were no Move implementation but I would state that the number of people who bought it solely because it had Move controls is statistically insignificant.

well maybe you should have said Move software sells are insignificant because there is no way that 8 million in 6 months is too small of a number & if you look at the Socom 4 bundle it's selling better with the Move controller on just about every big online retailer.

& from a developers/publishers point of view you should be happy that you don't have to build your whole game around the Move & still make a good game that use motion controls & still sell to the people that don't have a motion controller.

take Tiger Woods 11 & 12 , Top Spin 4 , Resident Evil 5, Heavy Rain, Killzone 3 ,Socom 4

how is 8 million Moves insignificant to the people making these games when they didn't have to make the games just for them 8 million people?

if 8 million in the 1st 6 months is too insignificant for a dev how did anyone ever make a Dreamcast game or even make any launch titles for any consoles?

edit: & by the way Move controllers was supply constrained

This is exactly why I suggested, "...agree to disagree..."

well maybe you should have said Move software sells are insignificant because there is no way that 8 million in 6 months is too small of a number & if you look at the Socom 4 bundle it's selling better with the Move controller on just about every big online retailer.

I said exactly what I wanted to say and I haven't changed that stance. Having said that you are definitely correct in the sales prowess because according to Amazon the SOCOM bundle is ranked 55th, just below Kinectimals, while the stand-alone is 94th just below the 360 WIRED controller.

onQ said:
& from a developers/publishers point of view you should be happy that you don't have to build your whole game around the Move & still make a good game that use motion controls & still sell to the people that don't have a motion controller.

take Tiger Woods 11 & 12 , Top Spin 4 , Resident Evil 5, Heavy Rain, Killzone 3 ,Socom 4

how is 8 million Moves insignificant to the people making these games when they didn't have to make the games just for them 8 million people?

I'm not sure I even follow your logic in what I quoted and more specifically bolded, above, since you seem to answer your own question. Let me see if I have the question straight, you are asking me why I think 2011 EoQ sell-in would be insignificant to publishers for half the titles you listed which launched before the peripheral went on sale; titles which were going to be made anyway? This is your question correct? If I'm going to be happy to not need to build my whole game around Move couldn't I be just as happy to not add support given that I could "still sell to people that don't have a motion controller" or simply add it in later as was the case for three of the titles you listed.

onQ said:
if 8 million in the 1st 6 months is too insignificant for a dev how did anyone ever make a Dreamcast game or even make any launch titles for any consoles?

edit: & by the way Move controllers was supply constrained

I don't understand why it is difficult for you to separate a new console launch and people supporting it versus a peripheral. Do we actually have to go through this exercise or was this rhetorical?

I was under the impression that Move was not supply constrained, that it was only second/additional controllers that were constrained because the platform holder allocated more controllers to bundles than stand-alone. I'm perfectly fine with being wrong with that statement.

We disagree that is fine. You're an avid fan of the Move and that is fine as well. I don't take umbrage with either of those...

This is exactly why I suggested, "...agree to disagree..."

I said exactly what I wanted to say and I haven't changed that stance. Having said that you are definitely correct in the sales prowess because according to Amazon the SOCOM bundle is ranked 55th, just below Kinectimals, while the stand-alone is 94th just below the 360 WIRED controller.

I'm not sure I even follow your logic in what I quoted and more specifically bolded, above, since you seem to answer your own question. Let me see if I have the question straight, you are asking me why I think 2011 EoQ sell-in would be insignificant to publishers for half the titles you listed which launched before the peripheral went on sale; titles which were going to be made anyway? This is your question correct? If I'm going to be happy to not need to build my whole game around Move couldn't I be just as happy to not add support given that I could "still sell to people that don't have a motion controller" or simply add it in later as was the case for three of the titles you listed.

I don't understand why it is difficult for you to separate a new console launch and people supporting it versus a peripheral. Do we actually have to go through this exercise or was this rhetorical?

I was under the impression that Move was not supply constrained, that it was only second/additional controllers that were constrained because the platform holder allocated more controllers to bundles than stand-alone. I'm perfectly fine with being wrong with that statement.

We disagree that is fine. You're an avid fan of the Move and that is fine as well. I don't take umbrage with either of those...

I'm just trying to figure out why you think that 8 million in 6 months isn't a good enough number & if comparing it to console launches is wrong then what should it be compared to? because just like console launches this is a new platform for devs to make games for.

if you're saying it's a insignificant number I'm just asking what would be a good enough number for 6 months & what are you comparing it with to deem it insignificant?

because add-on platforms has never been really successful until recently & if Eyetoy's 10 million sold was the most successful add-on until the the Wii Balance board came out & sold about 25 million in 3 years when did 8 million in 6 months become insignificant?

I'm just trying to figure out why you think that 8 million in 6 months isn't a good enough number & if comparing it to console launches is wrong then what should it be compared to? because just like console launches this is a new platform for devs to make games for.

if you're saying it's a insignificant number I'm just asking what would be a good enough number for 6 months & what are you comparing it with to deem it insignificant?

because add-on platforms has never been really successful until recently & if Eyetoy's 10 million sold was the most successful add-on until the the Wii Balance board came out & sold about 25 million in 3 years when did 8 million in 6 months become insignificant?

Maybe the best answer to this would be to consider how many new releases we have to look forward to for the Wii balance board.

Maybe the best answer to this would be to consider how many new releases we have to look forward to for the Wii balance board.

& that would be a answer to what?

that only says that devs don't think they can come up with a good game that make use of it not that 25 million Wii balance boards is a insignificant number.

there is already over 60 Move compatible games compared to about 40 or so Wii balance board compatible games that's not because the Wii balance board wasn't selling well enough it's because devs didn't really look at it as something they could make good games for & sell them.

if the Wii balance board sold 50 Million we would probably still have the same situation , but if someone wanted to make a good game for it they can it's not the number of balance boards that's stopping them.

& that would be a answer to what?

that only says that devs don't think they can come up with a good game that make use of it not that 25 million Wii balance boards is a insignificant number.

there is already over 60 Move compatible games compared to about 40 or so Wii balance board compatible games that's not because the Wii balance board wasn't selling well enough it's because devs didn't really look at it as something they could make good games for & sell them.

if the Wii balance board sold 50 Million we would probably still have the same situation , but if someone wanted to make a good game for it they can it's not the number of balance boards that's stopping them.

And you would say the same about Wii MotionPlus?

So we have some accuracy both sourced from the respective platform holders.

"Global sales units of Wii Balance Board bundled with Wii Fit or Wii Fit Plus are more than 5 million units this fiscal year and more than 35 million units on a life-to-date basis."

"The number of PlayStation Move supported/dedicated software titles has reached 155 as of March 24, 2011"

So we have some accuracy both sourced from the respective platform holders.

"Global sales units of Wii Balance Board bundled with Wii Fit or Wii Fit Plus are more than 5 million units this fiscal year and more than 35 million units on a life-to-date basis."

"The number of PlayStation Move supported/dedicated software titles has reached 155 as of March 24, 2011"

Wow that Balance board is really moving last I seen of the numbers for it was around 25 Million about a year ago & it don't show any signs of slowing down.

& that 155 number for the PlayStation Move games is just the 60 or so games being counted for US,EU,JAPAN instead of being counted as 1 game ,

Back