PlayStation 3 Sales Reach 50 Million PlayStation Move surpass 8 million

onQ

Veteran
PlayStation(R)3 Sales Reach 50 Million Units Worldwide / Sales of PlayStation(R)Move motion controller for PlayStation(R)3 (PS3(R)) surpass 8 million units worldwide, accelerating the expansion of the PS3 Platform.

TOKYO, April 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the cumulative sales of the PlayStation(R)3 (PS3(R)) computer entertainment system reached a milestone of 50 million units(1) worldwide, as of March 29, 2011. SCE also announced that PlayStation(R)Move sales surpassed 8 million units(1) worldwide as of April 3, demonstrating continued growth and momentum of the PS3 platform.

http://www.finanznachrichten.de/19951076

Worse than Kinect but still very good :)

Looks like they shipped 14.3m consoles in FY2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good sales for Move, nice to see some figures.

Also good to see the 1/2 century hit in sales, though it looks as though that means they have fallen short of their annual sales target for the first time with the PS3.

Also good to see the 1/2 century hit in sales, though it looks as though that means they have fallen short of their annual sales target for the first time with the PS3.

Naaa they probably made up the rest of the sales on the 30th and 31st of march ;)

I'm going to believe it when I see it officially. If it happens though, will reestablish some of my confidence in the believability of Sony's numbers.

Move sales seem a little low to me. 8 million is going to be more like 4-6 million install base, which isn't massive. Better than EyeToy at this point I think, but not establishing itself in big enough numbers to be taken seriously as a target audience for the whole glut of developers.

Move sales seem a little low to me. 8 million is going to be more like 4-6 million install base, which isn't massive. Better than EyeToy at this point I think, but not establishing itself in big enough numbers to be taken seriously as a target audience for the whole glut of developers.

You think as many as half the move owners out there have more than 1 move controller?

Yep, because I believe playing games within the family is important, which requires a controller each. I doubt many people have gone to 4 Moves, so isntall base won't be down around 2 million, but I'm sure a signficant number have two controllers, meaning well shy of the 8 million maximum possible. I don't think we have any way to determine average number of units per household. Which is actually an important number for devs to have, to know whether making a game dual-Move is financial suicide or not.

Yep, because I believe playing games within the family is important, which requires a controller each. I doubt many people have gone to 4 Moves, so isntall base won't be down around 2 million, but I'm sure a signficant number have two controllers, meaning well shy of the 8 million maximum possible. I don't think we have any way to determine average number of units per household. Which is actually an important number for devs to have, to know whether making a game dual-Move is financial suicide or not.

Mmm... I'm not so sure about that... it seems the impact of 'hardcore' games combined with move has an interesting audience 'reaction', it appears different to the classic behaviour of the massive casual target who invaded kinect & wii...

Mmm... I'm not so sure about that...

At the very least, not long after Sony announced 4m Move controllers sold, they released a table that nearly 50% of gamers who played Sports Champions did so with 2 Move controllers.

Not that all Move owners will have Sports Champions, but given that it was in the American bundle and was a key launch title, it at least gives a good indication.

They will tack it on in many cases imo. As long as it's implemented well like in KZ3, I'm fine with that.

Great news for Sony. 50m in four-in-a-bit years isn't too shabby when you consider the strength of the competition in the games market.

Sony counts how many Move wands have been sold, whether individually or as part of a bundle. They don't count Nav controllers or PS Eyes.

Do we know what constitutes a Move sale? These numbers put it surprisingly close to Kinect. However, one metric I like to use is Wikipedia page views. And Kinect still leads Move by 3:1.

January:
201K Kinect
66K Move
February:
118K Kinect
43K Move
March:
124K Kinect
42K Move

http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/Kinect
http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/PlayStation_Move

page views don't give you any idea of how something is selling

Rebecca Black has 105,705,874 views on her youtube video

the most views Madonna has on a video is 22,809,236

do you think Rebecca Black can sell 5 x more than Madonna?

page views don't give you any idea of how something is selling
They don't when you compare things that are completely different. Like modern viral videos and 1980s Madonna songs.

Take two products that directly compete and had an almost simultaneous launch, and internet interest certainly gives you a solid indication of sales. Box office predictions and tracking prove this every week.

They don't when you compare things that are completely different. Like modern viral videos and 1980s Madonna songs.

Take two products that directly compete and had an almost simultaneous launch, and internet interest certainly gives you a solid indication of sales. Box office predictions and tracking prove this every week.

There's a lot wrong with your analysis. The main ones being that a random customer is more likely to use google to search for a product he or she is interested in and be taken to the official move or kinect page. Another major issue is a lot of people don't use wiki believe it or not. Most importantly though, those stats are only valid for en.wikipedia which happens to be the language for the countries where the 360 is much stronger than the PS3.

Wikipedia-hits only mean someone looking up information. Doesn't mean they have interest in buying. In this case, Move is like Wiimote, which everyone conceptually understood thanks to Wii. Kinect was something new. People go looking it up, maybe to answer the question, "will this work in my living room?" or "what's this Kinect thing all about?" Whether they go on to buy it or not, you can't guarantee. Amazon sales lists, as flawed as we know them to be, would offer more insight into real-world sales.

Back