PlayStation 3 Sales Reach 50 Million PlayStation Move surpass 8 million

Do we know what constitutes a Move sale? These numbers put it surprisingly close to Kinect. However, one metric I like to use is Wikipedia page views. And Kinect still leads Move by 3:1.

January:
201K Kinect
66K Move
February:
118K Kinect
43K Move
March:
124K Kinect
42K Move

http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/Kinect
http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/PlayStation_Move

It's not that bad until you consider that with regards to household penetration, the Move numbers would be roughly 1/2 to 2/3 that number.

Are those numbers just for the stand alone or do they include the console bundles? Either way from what joker454 just said, it appears that it's still a good thing to target.

What I find surprising is that with the incredible household penetration that Kinect has had, we're not hearing much about new Kinect titles. If MS doesn't announce a bunch of titles at E3, I can't help but think MS is dropping the ball here with regards to capitalizing on Kinect's initial success.

Regards,
SB

Do we know what constitutes a Move sale? These numbers put it surprisingly close to Kinect. However, one metric I like to use is Wikipedia page views. And Kinect still leads Move by 3:1.

January:
201K Kinect
66K Move
February:
118K Kinect
43K Move
March:
124K Kinect
42K Move

http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/Kinect
http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/PlayStation_Move

Are You serious? Those numbers and this analysis doesnt mean nothing and compare to anything.
You could also check Japanese survey.
4738 times for Kinect
946 times for Move

or for Xbox 360 and PS3 from Japanese wiki
15761 times for Xbox 360
149 times for Playstation 3

http://stats.grok.se/ja/201104/PlayStation_3
http://stats.grok.se/ja/201104/xbox_360

Yeah, those are pretty close to real numbers ...

The main ones being that a random customer is more likely to use google to search for a product he or she is interested in
Lucky for us, there is Google Trends. And it should come as no surprise that those results closely resemble the stats I posted earlier.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=kinect%2C+%28ps3+move%29+|+%28playstation+move%29&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

iworshipclosemyeyesuuem.jpg

My post above still stands. Wanting to find out what something is does not equate to an intention to buy. That Google Trend shows people who were actively looking for information. If, for example, Sony had done a better job than MS in communicating Move at large, less people would need to go Googling it.

Look at the same Google Trends for Xbox and PlayStation to prove this. The Xbox name has considerably more search interest than PlayStation, going back to 2004. Are we supposed to believe that XB360 is selling 5x as much as PS3 as a result of 5x as much internet searching for MS's console?

Amazon sales lists, as flawed as we know them to be, would offer more insight into real-world sales.
Sales lists are nearly worthless because they offer no absolute values. If one product is ahead of another, it could be by one unit or by a hundred thousand.

Comparing general interest based on page views and searches certainly makes sense. Not everybody who researches Kinect will end up buying it. But not everybody who researches Move will end up buying it. It is reasonable to assume that the percentage of people who do end up buying is similar for both products.

Some of the defensive reactions in this thread (KKRT, onQ) are completely uncalled for. I merely try to figure out what constitutes a "Move unit" (does the navigation controller count as its own unit or does it not count at all?) and how the number of sold Move units relates to the number of Move owners.

Look at the same Google Trends for Xbox and PlayStation to prove this. The Xbox name has considerably more search interest than PlayStation, going back to 2004. Are we supposed to believe that XB360 is selling 5x as much as PS3 as a result of 5x as much internet searching for MS's console?
It would help if you added the very important search term PS3. Then you'd get a reasonable result for those last few years
http://www.google.com/trends?q=xbox,+playstation+|+ps3&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=1

I thought Move Controller was specified. This at least has been the metric so far. The rest depends on what ratio of double vs single (averaging out the handful that buys 4 Move controllers) sales you keep:

25% double, 75% single controller: (2/2) + 6 = 7 million 'households'
50% double, 50% single controller: (4/2) + 4 = 6 million 'households'
75% double, 25% single controller: (6/2) + 2 = 5 million 'households'

Sales lists are nearly worthless because they offer no absolute values. If one product is ahead of another, it could be by one unit or by a hundred thousand.

Comparing general interest based on page views and searches certainly makes sense. Not everybody who researches Kinect will end up buying it. But not everybody who researches Move will end up buying it. It is reasonable to assume that the percentage of people who do end up buying is similar for both products.

Some of the defensive reactions in this thread (KKRT, onQ) are completely uncalled for. I merely try to figure out what constitutes a "Move unit" (does the navigation controller count as its own unit or does it not count at all?) and how the number of sold Move units relates to the number of Move owners.

it's been said before that they only count the Move controllers as a Move sell.

& I didn't get defensive I was just telling you that you can't go by Wiki page hits to get sells numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would help if you added the very important search term PS3. Then you'd get a reasonable result for those last few years
http://www.google.com/trends?q=xbox,+playstation+|+ps3&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=1
But then you're juggling search terms to get different results. Try "(xbox 360)" and "Playstation | PS3" and PS3 comes well out on top. How do you pick which comparison to make? Just keep trying different ones until the graph is more to your liking? :p :mrgreen:

Furthermore, why would a straight search for Playstation, that has 4 family members, not outperform a search for the xbox brand that has only two? So the intial simple brand comparison should have thrown up PS's success, with 5x the interest versus the Xbox brand, because PS has sold 5x as much. But it didn't, because there's no correlation between how many people search for Playstation online and how many people buy Playstation products; certainly not a relative relationship that applies equally to xbox such that comparing search amounts shows comparative sales figures.

Regardless of how Amazon label it, Sony have said (IIRC) that they count Moves as the ball-ended wands, and not navicons. Surely it makes more sense to go to Sony for this - yep, just a bit of Googling throws up the press release where Sony are explicit about it being Move Motion Controllers and not navigation controllers which they mention separately.

I think you should spent less time checking Amazon and Google Trends for info and should go to the horse's mouth direct more often. ;)

it's been said before that they only count the Move controllers as a Move sell.
So they completely ignore and do not report these sales:
Playstation Move Navigation Controller #54 in Video Games

I find this nearly impossible to believe. It makes no sense from a PR standpoint to exclude these sales when you can use an ambiguous term like "Move controller". Where is a Sony source that confirms it?

I find this nearly impossible to believe. It makes no sense from a PR standpoint to exclude these sales when you can use an ambiguous term like "Move controller". Where is a Sony source that confirms it?

It's been said many times (do a search, it's on this site in a few places), I guess the reason they do this is because it's the best measuring stick - remember that no-one actually needs the nav - it'll probably have a 1in10 attach rate and then there would be implications that only 1/10 of Move sales count as a sales 'target' (i.e. devs might think there's less penetration than there is) . I'm sure Sony know exactly how great/small the demand is.

Something else about the google trends (and wiki hits) will be that MS spent a fortune bigging the Kinect up as a totally new way to control games - it got massively more coverage and advertising - this alone would (could) explain the charts we see.

But then you're juggling search terms to get different results. Try "(xbox 360)" and "Playstation | PS3" and PS3 comes well out on top. How do you pick which comparison to make? Just keep trying different ones until the graph is more to your liking? :p :mrgreen:
Is it really so hard to understand why a search for the fixed term "Xbox 360" versus "Playstation" (which includes all sorts of hardware products, like Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation Phone, Playstation Network, Playstation Portable and whatnot) yields skewed results?

Why did you bring up this comparison to begin with? The main console names themselves encompass way too many different things, whereas Kinect and Playstation Move | PS3 Move are clear-cut product names.

Is it really so hard to understand why a search for the fixed term "Xbox 360" versus "Playstation" (which includes all sorts of hardware products, like Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation Phone, Playstation Network, Playstation Portable and whatnot) yields skewed results?

Why did you bring up this comparison to begin with? The main console names themselves encompass way too many different things, whereas Kinect and Playstation Move | PS3 Move are clear-cut product names.

"xbox kinect" "Kinect" "Xbox 360 Kinect" "kinect 360" "xbox kinect" "PS Move" "Move" "PlayStation Move" "Move controller" "Playstation move controller" "playstation 3 motion controller"

not as clear-cut as you think

any numbers on how the Sharp Shooter is selling?

seems to be selling a lot better than I thought it would.

Sony should really push 3rd party devs to support it,. I think a Call of Duty Bundle like the Socom 4 bundle with the Sharp Shooter would sell like hot cakes.

Explain then why Xbox (2 products) vs PlayStation (4 products) is skewed in Xbox's favour then.

As one example of how Google search amounts are irrelevant to sales. Here's another one. Are you going to tell me that the Buggati Veyron outsells the Ford Mondeo? You've found one search that matches your idea of sales and decided the whole system is a match. What do you make of Xbox 360 vs Nintendo Wii? XBox is outselling Wii 6:1? Or Xbox vs. Wii, selling evens since mid 2006? Those aren't looking right - better try Xbox 360 vs Wii. A-ha, apparently Wii is only selling 1.35x as much, given 1.35x as many searches.

I don't know if you're being deliberately obtuse here now or not. I mentioned that in the post above this, providing the link. Read the actual Sony PR release for real info, instead of checking Amazon and Google Trends. If you're not going to follow the link, I'll quote it for you:

Foster City, CA, April 14, 2011 - Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. (SCEA) today announced that more than 8 million units of the PlayStation®Move motion controller for the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) system have been sold*1 worldwide as of April 3, 2011. Additionally, the PlayStation Move ecosystem, including the PlayStation®Eye camera, PlayStation®Move navigation controller, and PlayStation Move compatible software, continues to see strong momentum at retail as more gamers experience the precision motion control that only PlayStation can deliver.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=ds,+psp&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Hmmm, could have sworn DS has outsold PSP. I guess not ;)
This shall be my last explanatory post. There is a reason why I originally used Wikipedia page views: they are absolutely clear-cut, where Google searches often are not.

Google Results for PSP:
1) Official PlayStation website: PSP
2) PlaystationPortable - PSP Games, PSP Entertainment, PSP News
3) PlayStation Portable - Wikipedia
4) CurePSP: Foundation for PSP | CBD and Related Brain Diseases
5) Pennsylvania State Police

6) Sony PSP Games
7) PSP - Building and Architectural Products for New Zealand
8) PSP Professional Sound Projects

9) PSP Hacks - NGP Hacks - PSP Homebrew, PSP Downloads
10) PSP Events - #1 Professional Tournament Paintball League in the World

Google Results for DS: