RTX Remix

This was actually my thought last night while dorking with the original Unreal... It dawned on me most of the texture transparency glitchiness could be plausibly linked to mipmap levels and/or anisotropy. I was trying to think of a way to fully disable all mipmapping "just to see" and was gonna check it out when I get home tonight.
I think there is a setting to disable or ignore mipmaps

The official release of the tool is Jan/Feb 2023, it's not yet in full state even with Portal RTX, people are just hacking together files from Portal RTX and feeding them into various games to see what sticks.
Was this information taken from some Q&A session ? If so then they didn't make any official commitment to release the tool, at most they're only considering the idea ...

I don't think Nvidia are seriously expecting community artists to take up and learn how to use Omniverse just to be able to edit in-game assets. Omniverse isn't even available for public use ...

Portal RTX being the only official mod so far means that the tool requires a fragile set of conditions which probably includes dedicated support from Nvidia itself as well to be able to release mods in a usable state ...

At least their marketing seems to be targeting this at community modding. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-remix-announcement/

Modding is a massive culture. There are millions of modders, and billions of mods are downloaded each year. Mod DB and Nexus Mods are the Internet’s premier mod repositories, hosting over 400,000 mods for 1,800 games. Mods enhance graphics as faster GPUs are released, extend a game’s lifespan with new content, expand their audience with total gameplay conversions, and keep games fresh for years after official DLC and update support has concluded. They’re an important aspect of PC games, and have a noticeable impact on the long-term sales and popularity of a title. In fact, the tactical shooter, MOBA, and battle royale genres all started as mods. Today, 9 of the 10 most popular competitive games owe their existence to mods.

Enter NVIDIA RTX Remix, a free modding platform built on NVIDIA Omniverse that enables modders to quickly create and share #RTXON mods for classic games, each with enhanced materials, full ray tracing, NVIDIA DLSS 3, and NVIDIA Reflex.

Also as far as I know Omniverse is free to download for individual use? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/omniverse/download/

At least their marketing seems to be targeting this at community modding. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-remix-announcement/
Yet the very first mod release is an internal project ...
Also as far as I know Omniverse is free to download for individual use? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/omniverse/download/
Omniverse requires registration with very specific information filled out such as business e-mail contact/organization/professional roles so they won't let anyone randomly get access to it ...

It's as if they aren't even expecting Omniverse to see usage outside of customers or internal staff. How is the community supposed to get access to this tool if for much of the community when it not related to their field of expertise ? A big portion of community modding scene is driven by passion rather professional experience ...

they didn't make any official commitment to release the tool, at most they're only considering the idea ...
No, they made an official commitment alright. The timeline is delayed that's all.

Also Jensen talked about it in the Ada reveal, and NVIDIA released multiple videos about it's features and capabilities. Have you been following up on this at all?

Omniverse requires registration with very specific information filled out such as business e-mail contact/organization/professional roles so they won't let anyone randomly get access to it ...

It's as if they aren't even expecting Omniverse to see usage outside of customers or internal staff. How is the community supposed to get access to this tool if for much of the community when it not related to their field of expertise ? A big portion of community modding scene is driven by passion rather professional experience ...

Have you tried filling it out? It doesn't even confirm the e-mail you use or care what you enter in the other fields (both drop down selection also have "other" as a choice, for job role one of the choices is even "gamer").

it even calls it an individual license and says on the webpage -

NVIDIA Omniverse is free for individuals to download.

The Ominiverse application itself has a login requirement but it just uses a generic Nvidia account (eg. what Geforce Experience or Geforce Now uses).

I think there is a setting to disable or ignore mipmaps
Yeah and the original Unreal had a ton of INI settings for all kinds of random techie things underneath. In this case, being such an old game supporting so many disparate rendering backends actually plays into my favor... Maybe... heh.

EDIT: Just saw @arandomguy 's post about the sign-up requirements. I'm gonna sign up tonight and I'll report back whatever I'm able to discover. Maybe it will help my half-assed attempt at getting Unreal to work with Remix :)

Last edited:
I'm at home now, it's after dinner and I've got a nice highball thing going on. Tonight's a scotch night!

I signed up for an individual license (free!), downloaded the binary and have installed Omniverse and Omniverse Cache. For my organization name I just made some shit up, I then claimed to be in the gaming business specifically as a gamer -- totes legit, can't possibly find me now NVIDIA goons! I've opened the Omniverse web3.0 app and I'm now looking at a slew of apps and connectors and content and collections and...

Honestly, now I'm clueless as to what to do next :D I'll spend some time with a light buzz perusing all my options, and then I'll probably go back to trying to LeEt hax0r the original Unreal to work with the Portal RTX dll :D

I can confirm that Midnight Club 2, SiN Episodes, Far Cry, and Paws & Claws: Pet Vet (lol) will all load up Remix. Granted most all of them look like total dog shit, but they work. Far Cry having by far the most issues, and the shortcut to bring up the menu does not work.

Midnight Club 2:
(looks like an IGN video from 2001)

Far Cry:
(might give you a stroke)

Paws & Claws: Pet Vet:
(missing player and npc models)

The attached pictures are Paws & Claws: Pet Vet and some examples from SiN Episodes.

Attachments

• image11.png
    image11.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
  • image.png
    image.png
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20221214041224_1.jpg
    20221214041224_1.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 31
NFS: Most Wanted opens, but has black screen. I think it could be made to work if the RTX Remix interface wasn't unresponsive to mouse inputs.
Off to the next one!

Both prince of persia Warrior within and The Two Thrones boot well but with a black screen, as soon as you reach the main menu you crash.

Forget about getting games to work that were released after 2003/2004 - they pretty much all use programmable shaders

I have ripped HL2 from the original disk and it supports the -dxlevel 70 command, sadly it errors out with

"The shared memory map view could not be created (error code 8)!"

I got into HL2 with the most up to date version and using -novid and -dclevel 90
I was able to load a save of mine, but it crashes after 5 to 15 seconds of walking around

So I was messing around, trying to put rtx remix hooks in different novalogic games, and I got it somewhat usable in black hawk down. It took me a lot of time to figure out how exactly things were working, and which settings to tweak to make it work. As of now, the most noticeable error here is that the terrain refuses to work properly. It's probably because nova games use realtime tessellation and displacement of an infinite plane to create terrain. This confuses the hell out of remix. Hope it's only the portal version of it that doesn't like Nova games, and the actual release works properly. The best demonstration of raytraced global illumination is at about 4:00 where you can see sunlight bouncing off the floor and softly illuminating the building interior. Great stuff.

Back