Swap PS5 for a RTX 4070?

Reynaldo

Regular
Been using my current build (2070 Super, i5 13600k, 32GB RAM) over it and it gave me equal or better performance on most games, so I sold my PS5 DE for 450 bucks. Should I spend the money on a RTX 4070? Will the upgrade over the 2070 super be worth it? Having to shell out over 300$ bucks for the next tier (4070 ti) is out of my budget and will be for a long time. What's the word on the upcoming Super variants of Nvidia cards?

I'm OK with 4K/60 or 1440p with DLSS.

If not in a rush, how about waiting early next year for Nvidia to release the Super series, then buy the non super at cheaper price?

Btw how much dlss is you are okay with? Is dlss performance looks okay enough?

Do any of you games run slow ?
that's my cue for an upgrade
As orangelupa says why not wait for the super it's rumoured to have 16gb and I'd be happier from a longevity pov to have 16gb than 12gb (consoles have 16gb but not sure how much of that can be assigned for graphics)
ps:
Edit: more :

Last edited:
If not in a rush, how about waiting early next year for Nvidia to release the Super series, then buy the non super at cheaper price?

Btw how much dlss is you are okay with? Is dlss performance looks okay enough?
Yes, I will definitely wait until Jan-Feb to purchase something. It would help to know how the Super cards will improve over the normal versions.

I'm ok with DLSS performance at 4k. at 1440p id prefer quality, but can live with balanced.
Do any of you games run slow ?
that's my cue for an upgrade
As orangelupa says why not wait for the super it's rumoured to have 16gb and I'd be happier from a longevity pov to have 16gb than 12gb (consoles have 16gb but not sure how much of that can be assigned for graphics)
ps:
Edit: more :
Latest games are starting to show 2070 super's age imho, specially with RT. Alan Wake 2 is playable, but very inconsistent on it, without RT of course. UE5 games too are not running that great. I game on a 55" OLED so lower than 1440p is a no for me.

Appreciate the links will be looking at them right away. the 12gb for the 4070 series for sure are a turnoff but I'm not convinced at all with AMD's rt performance, plus DLSS is a great plus. I think the rumors about the vram increase for the Supers is for the 4070 ti though. That would put it out of my budget.

In all likelyhood, the Supers will be priced higher than current GPUs and Nvidia won't provide AIBs with rebates on their current stocks. There will be limited current versions available, which makes them more desirable being cheaper than what will probably be ridiculous pricing on Supers, meaning prices won't drop and they'll simply run out of stock.

The 4070 is quite a lot faster than the 2070 Super. The 4070 Super is expected to be very close to the 4070Ti. Which is significantly faster than the regular 4070 but still only 12GB.

When are the 5000 series cards due?
ps: there is a 4060ti with 16gb I don't know if that's worth considering? Slower now but in a few years the extra 4gb might make it faster who knows?

When the moon turns to ash and the stars turn cold, or when the current AI rush for chips is over. Whichever comes first.

EDITED BITS: I haven't seen any good black friday type deals on GPUs, CPUs, or SSDs. I am disappointed. :(

In all likelyhood, the Supers will be priced higher than current GPUs and Nvidia won't provide AIBs with rebates on their current stocks. There will be limited current versions available, which makes them more desirable being cheaper than what will probably be ridiculous pricing on Supers, meaning prices won't drop and they'll simply run out of stock.
My fear is this, that if the Supers are hard to find, the previous versions will increase in price instead of lowering. I hope at least that the price remains stable.

If the price difference is not too wide, then maybe super is a better choice due to larger vram

ps: there is a 4060ti with 16gb I don't know if that's worth considering? Slower now but in a few years the extra 4gb might make it faster who knows?
It is a poor value compared to the 4070. The cheapest 16GB 4060Ti is $450 (or maybe a little less with some promo codes) on Newegg. Cheapest 4070 is $515. $65 (15% of $450) for about +30% performance. 7800XT would also be a far better option than the 4060Ti 16GB.

The 12GB vs 16GB thing isn't so important when the 4060Ti just can't handle much over 1080p, especially with raytracing. Also within the next couple years, devs would have to be insane to start requiring >12GB. There are $800 GPUs selling today with 12GB. According to Steam less than 3% of PC gamers have 16GB or more VRAM.

In any case I have a 4070 and it performs very well on my 1080p monitor. I think it would be fine at 1440p with a bit of DLSS. TBH I would have gotten a 1440p monitor if I'd know how well DLSS worked at the time. OTOH one way to make sure your GPU lasts a while is to have a lower resolution monitor :LOL:

One more thing on the comparison to PS5. I have a 13600K and it seems this CPU is tremendously more capable in games than the PS5 CPU. Just saying OP has the CPU power to far outmatch any console with the right GPU.

Last edited:
ps: thought this may be useful
edit: forgot you have a super (sorry) but it is useful to me I guess because I do have a 2070 ;)
pps: Just noticed overclockers have 4070's in the black friday sale - Yay, £10 off Not Yay :mad:

Last edited:
The 2070 is not a bad card. Would be great if it supported frame gen.

IMO $450 would be a reasonable price for the 4070. $500 is pushing it and the $600 I spent on mine is absurd. If my 6700XT hadn't been defective I definitely would've been fine with it. No doubt the 4070 is better in every regard, but after purchasing it and being quite happy with it I still feel like I've contributed to a problem by paying so much. This is not a cool feeling to have after my first major upgrade in like 8 years :(

The 4070ti is rumored to be replaced by the 4070ti super which will have 16GB VRAM.

The 4070 is rumored to be replaced by the 4070 super which will still have 12GB VRAM but likely a higher performance gain, and so perf/$ will likely improve more.

Probably 2024Q4 at the earliest with some rumors suggesting not until 2025Q1.

The problem with the 4060ti 16GB is the perf/$ cost is really poor just relative to Nvidia's own line and will only get worse with the rumored Super refresh.

It's a cheap 16GB if you need Nvidia's platform for content creation, but the gaming perf/$ isn't great just relative to both the 4060 and 4070. Even the regular 4060ti isn't great here either.

Just seen the Homeworld 3 System Requirements: Minimum vram 6gb, Maximum vram 16gb

ps:
As of today there's a Play Beyond Fast with RTX Promotion that gives purchasers of qualifying GeForce RTX 40-series graphics cards and systems three months of priority access to PC Game Pass.

The GeForce RTX 40 Series, Play Beyond Fast With RTX Bundle is now available! Until January 8th, 2024, buy a participating GeForce RTX 4090, 4080, 4070 Ti, 4070, 4060 Ti, or 4060 graphics card and you’ll receive three months of free access to PC Game Pass.

With PC Game Pass, play hundreds of high-quality PC games with friends, including new day one titles, and get an EA Play membership.

Last edited:
ps: Reynaldo I officially hate you.....
I came into this thread with the opinion that you should wait for various reasons and now i'm thinking I really want a 4070 :runaway:

Just seen the Homeworld 3 System Requirements: Minimum vram 6gb, Maximum vram 16gb
It lists RT Ultra 4K settings requiring 16GB. The RT High 1440P recommendation lists a 3080 which is typically 10GB, though there is also a 12GB version and it does specifically say VRAM: 12GB so maybe it means the 12GB version of the 3080. It's a good system requirements list but I think if they meant the 12GB 3080 they should've listed "RTX3080 12GB".

Back