RTX Remix

Hey, anyone here have any advice on what to do? I got Deus Ex booting with the rtx remix files and the raytracing does seem to work, but most the textures aren't showing up properly. I'll attach some files below.

Attachments

• 20221212061632_1.jpg
    20221212061632_1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20221212061907_1.jpg
    20221212061907_1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20221212062022_2.jpg
    20221212062022_2.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20221212062036_1.jpg
    20221212062036_1.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 38
Tested Silent Hill Homecoming and RTX remix loaded up but the screen was black before it crashed, so there's something to do there

Tested Lord of The Rings ROTK, it loads, and actually does work on the title screen (the ring is shiny and there is a glow on the screen), but on the game itself (after disabling some textures that make the screen black) has no effect at all, and the USD capture does nothing.

Any ideas?

Tested a few other games. Left 4 Dead 2 boots into menus, however it crashes when loading into a map. Ultra Street Fighter 4 loads into a black screen and shows the rtx tool menu but crashes shortly after.

Call of Duty: Black Ops also fails to boot due to "Video card or driver doesn't support vertex shader 2.0 or better". Jet Set Radio and Fallout New Vegas both read errors regarding the graphic card not being available. Seems a lot of these directx9 games have issues with detecting the "vertex shader 2.0". Maybe those are the programable shaders that Nvidia said are unsupported.

Attachments

• 20221212085600_1.jpg
    20221212085600_1.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 33
Furthermore, just tested Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and Binary Domain. Both also don't boot due to error displaying about the graphics card.

Forget about getting games to work that were released after 2003/2004 - they pretty much all use programmable shaders

Unless they have some special compatibility graphic pipelines for older GPUs like Source which until a couple of years ago even supported DirectX 7 via the -dxlevel 70 command

Valve will have supplied Nvidia with an older Portal build to do just that, when you check in the settings menu in Portal RTX you will see that the game is running DX9 but the graphics feature level is limited to DX7

Allowing them to convert straight from DX9 to Vulkan and avoiding any sort of programmable shaders.

I have ripped HL2 from the original disk and it supports the -dxlevel 70 command, sadly it errors out with

"The shared memory map view could not be created (error code 8)!"

Should be easy to get Half-Life 2 running properly in the Portal RTX build tho since Portal was only ever a regular HL2 client running Portal as a mod with the "-game portal" parameter, or in the case of Portal RTX the "-game portal_rtx" parameter

If you launch the hl2.exe in the PortalRTX folder without a -game parameter it's basically just Half-Life 2, but missing assets will crash it among other things.

Swat 4 works well, so a lot of UE2 titles could work. UE1 as well, especially since there is a DX9 renderer plugin for UE1 but those games usually didnt have programmable shaders. Deus Ex should work fine, at least with a proper RTX remix release.

Well, I got Unreal RTX running in a very technical sense, however not a playable one. I downloaded the OldUnreal 227f patch which provides a "native" DX9 render driver for Unreal, flipped the game over to the DX9 render driver path, and confirmed it works (it does.) I then dropped the necessary RTX Remix binaries from Portal RTX into the UnrealGold\System path and fired it up...

Almost all the remaining textures are translucent, quite a few more are simply missing, quite a lot of texture corruption is present, it's just a mess. Using the debug/admin settings I tried to assign the in-memory textures to the various categories (water, detail, etc) and didn't really seem to get anywhere.

So, obviously it's at least feasible, however not usable in my half hour of initial attempt.

Is there any way to get the old looking glass games like Thief and System Shock 2 to work with RTX Remix? Thief would be amazing.

Yeah, the DX9 Renderer for UE1 games doesn't play well with the RTX Remix unfortunately. According to the authors site it's using Pixel Shader 3.0 which would explain it. With some of these wrappers/renderers there was no reason for the authors to keep it fixed-function because cards with shader support were already widespread at the point of release.

Been testing a number of games, just got Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield to work after removing the intro videos. Almost exactly like SWAT 4, including the same problems with sky boxes, etc.
RavenShield_12_14_22_T01.38AM_1671010703.png

Other games which I've got to work: Sniper Elite 1 (menu only), Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (Agent 47 is invisible besides a tie, really hit or miss), Ford Racing 3 (crashes almost instantly but gets in game). Also have seen folks saying Restaurant Empire 2 and Hitman: Blood Money work but I haven't tested those.

There's also a few odd games such as Garfield Saving Arlene and Petz Catz 2 which seem to completely ignore RTX Remix but still show textures normally in the RTX panel. Curious as to how that happens.

Been testing a number of games, just got Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield to work after removing the intro videos. Almost exactly like SWAT 4, including the same problems with sky boxes, etc.
View attachment 7803

Other games which I've got to work: Sniper Elite 1 (menu only), Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (Agent 47 is invisible besides a tie, really hit or miss), Ford Racing 3 (crashes almost instantly but gets in game). Also have seen folks saying Restaurant Empire 2 and Hitman: Blood Money work but I haven't tested those.

There's also a few odd games such as Garfield Saving Arlene and Petz Catz 2 which seem to completely ignore RTX Remix but still show textures normally in the RTX panel. Curious as to how that happens.
The ignoring RTX remix but textures still showing normally happens on Lord of the rings ROTK too. Weirdly enough, it works on the loading screen (rotating one ring). Using d3d8to9.

Yeah, she followed upon my article on Wccftech. Anyway, I do hope this helps NVIDIA understand how eager the community is for this tool to be actually released!
I don't think Nvidia are seriously expecting community artists to take up and learn how to use Omniverse just to be able to edit in-game assets. Omniverse isn't even available for public use ...

Portal RTX being the only official mod so far means that the tool requires a fragile set of conditions which probably includes dedicated support from Nvidia itself as well to be able to release mods in a usable state ...

Portal RTX being the only official mod so far means that the tool requires a fragile set of conditions which probably includes dedicated support from Nvidia itself as well to be able to release mods in a usable state ...

The official release of the tool is Jan/Feb 2023, it's not yet in full state even with Portal RTX, people are just hacking together files from Portal RTX and feeding them into various games to see what sticks.

I think fiddling with the mipmaps and anisotrophy might fix the black ground.
This was actually my thought last night while dorking with the original Unreal... It dawned on me most of the texture transparency glitchiness could be plausibly linked to mipmap levels and/or anisotropy. I was trying to think of a way to fully disable all mipmapping "just to see" and was gonna check it out when I get home tonight.

Back