Swap PS5 for a RTX 4070?

A concern is the price range might be more than $200 in practice as the 4070ti S doesn't have an FE model to anchor MSRP.

But isn't that the case for the most part? There's always going to be the exceptions. For instance with last gen things like the Farcry 5 texture pack would also overwhelm 6GB VRAM (same relative ratio) which was the VRAM for the most popular card by far (the 1060 6GB).
There's perhaps a bit of confirmation bias for me here. Hogwart's Legacy and Witcher 3 are two of the maybe 4 recently released or updated AAA games I've played through on the 4070 and both had VRAM problems. Witcher 3 wasn't so bad, I could play for like 45mins to an hour before having issues at which point I take a smoke break and relaunch the game (1440p DLSS Quality fully maxed out including RT and framegen).

Maybe most modern games don't have these problems, but about half of the ones I've played do. And these were games that had been reported to be fine on 12GB.

Wouldn't that point to the game not properly unloading resources rather than a lack of vram ?
Yea but there's nothing I can do about that. Don't think it would be a problem at 16GB, or at least it would take so long to happen that it wouldn't matter.

So I put my money were my mouth is and just ordered a 4070TI Super £769
Which model?

4070Ti Super is my favorite card of this generation. It fixes the major problem with the 4070Ti (12GB for $800 :( ) and is a little faster for the same price. All the 4000 series cards have had big buts (but it only has 12GB, but it costs $1200, has 16GB but it's slow etc.). 4070Ti Super has the smallest but so far.

Last edited:
This one :
1706225325739.png

They went on sale at 2pm GMT I went to buy one at 2:20pm clicked on several of the cheaper models (prices range from £769 to £989) and this was the first one that wasnt sold out.
ps: I am currently running it off a single pci-e cable with 2x8pin plugs and the supplied 2x8pin to 12vhpwr adapter because my psu is modular and only has 1 pcie cable plugged into it at the moment. I have another one in the psu box but because I'm moving soon everything is packed away in boxes and getting to it would be a pita. What are the down sides of doing what I'm doing?

This one :
View attachment 10673

They went on sale at 2pm GMT I went to buy one at 2:20pm clicked on several of the cheaper models (prices range from £769 to £989) and this was the first one that wasnt sold out.
ps: I am currently running it off a single pci-e cable with 2x8pin plugs and the supplied 2x8pin to 12vhpwr adapter because my psu is modular and only has 1 pcie cable plugged into it at the moment. I have another one in the psu box but because I'm moving soon everything is packed away in boxes and getting to it would be a pita. What are the down sides of doing what I'm doing?
If the cable has 2x8pin plugs on it then it should be good for at least 300W. Otherwise it would be dangerous.

Well, seems like my plan has gone to crap. Trying to order a 4070 super from Amazon and they don't ship the item to my freight forwarder's adress. Don't know if there's export restrictions on GPUs, but I'm unable to order the item from them.

Newegg and other shops don't take my credit card so I'm unable to use an alternative store.

LOL I haven't seen Uengine Heaven in a looooooooooong time :D I may have to go find a copy and try it out again...

When you get settled into the new place (congrats btw!) I'd recommend you try undervolting it. It's amazing how much power savings there can be; my 3080Ti and my new 4090 both can shed more than 100W while retaining the same boost clock speeds as stock...

What tool would you recommend it comes with this
1707547384859.png
but voltage goes from 0 to 100 and there seems to be no minus numbers allowed, power limit is in % (default 100) goes from 35% to 105%

Yeah, this is where you go back to the old, tried and true MSI Afterburner. I wrote a brief how-to for another B3D member in here somewhere. I'll go find the thread and paste the URL in here for you.

Edit : here it is...
go into MSI Afterburner, click Control+F to enter curve editing mode, and I dragged the 750mv datapoint up to somewhere around 1500MHz. Use the shift key to select from just left of that 750mv datapoint to the very right edge of the window, press shift+enter twice to flatten the curve. I've now forced my card to boost no higher (in voltage) to 750mv, and no higher (in clockspeed) than 1500MHz. Go back to Cyberpunk, play for a while, record data, go back to Afterburner, side the 750mv datapoint up to maybe 1600Mhz, rinse / repeat until the app crashes.

I don't much mess with overclocking anymore, but I've noticed my 4070 stays pegged at its 200W hard power cap when I'm GPU limited. I think this means undervolting it might make it faster since the only way to increase clocks is to make it more efficient. Then at the lower voltage it would boost higher until it hit 200W. Is that how it works now? Very different from how it used to be.

I'm recalling overclocking my GeForce 6600 from 300MHz to 450MHz. That's 50%. Imagine clocking a 4070 to 3.7GHz :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Your example re: the 200W limit is correct, however I want to make sure someone else reading this thread doesn't think power limiting is the same as undervolting.

Power limiting constraints the total power draw of the card by rapidly managing clock speeds to conform to your desired total power draw. When the card inches past the desired power limit, the limiter reduces clocks to reduce power. If the card has more power available, the clock can be increased to the point of thermal, power or (pre-computed) stability limit to achieve higher performance. Power limiting never manipulates the voltage settings, so if the firmware says 1025mV is required for 2600MHz operation, then power limiting will never actually change the voltage setting.

But what if stability at 2600MHz doesn't actually require all 1025mV? What if it's stable at 925mV?

To that end, overclocking and undervolting are somewhat analogous: the goal for both is to manipulate voltage and clock to find the peak performance of processor. The difference is, overclocking seeks to find maximal clock performance whereas undervolting seeks the maximal power efficiency at a given clock, very likely with lower overall total clock speed.

For undervolting, we adjust the supply voltage required for varying clock speeds. In reality, the dots we see in a curve editor aren't clock bins, they're voltage bins with a corresponding clock value. We know this to be true because the voltage values themselves are static and constantly defined (eg more points cannot be added or removed), only the clockspeeds are variable for each voltage bin. The "voltage curve" gets its shape as a natural result of physics mandating higher voltage to achieve stability at higher clockspeeds.

"I dragged the 750mv datapoint up to somewhere around 1500MHz. " I cant do that since the lowest value for my card id 1600mhz at 750mv its close to 1800MHz
"I've now forced my card to boost no higher (in voltage) to 750mv, " If I did that would the red line look more like the yellow line ?
1707589324731.png

Attachments

• 1707588846642.png
    1707588846642.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
Each card is obviously different; in my reply I was talking about my own GTX 1070 Max-Q laptop card. You should only use my values as illustrative examples.

Here, I'll do a complete run on my 4090 for you. This is what the 100% factory curve looks like:
4090_VFCurve_Stock.png

I'm going to grab the 915mV voltage bin to edit it, so I click (it takes a second) the little 915mV dot:
4090_VFCurve_DotSelect.png

Once I've selected it, I drag it up to my desired clock speed. I know, for my card, 2625MHz is stable at 915mV so I'll do that:
4090_VFCurve_DotMove.png

Now that I've moved it, I need to select my adjusted dot and ALL the dots to the right. Do this by holding down the shift key and then clicking-and-dragging from just past the left edge of your dot, inside the blank area above your dot, all the way to the right edge of the window:
4090_VFCurve_ShiftSelect.png

Now, press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER twice in a row and they'll all flatten out:
4090_VFCurve_Flatten.png

Close the window, and apply the setting (use the checkmark) and begin testing. When you apply the curve, MSI Afterburner will "soften up" the dots to the left of your adjustment like so:
4090_VFCurve_915.png

This is normal and shouldn't bother anything. If you notice the voltage creeps up higher than what you set, go back into the curve editor and make sure the flat line is truly flat. Sometimes after clicking Apply, a tiny "ripple" will show up in the previously flat part of the voltage curve. Use the same SHIFT+select method to grab that area again and CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER twice to re-flatten it. It's an odd quirk that sometimes shows up, re-flattening it seems to always fix it.

Last edited:
Does that mean on a power limited card, decreasing the voltage (assuming it's still stable) should allow the card to clock higher before reaching the power limit?

Back