PS4 Pro experiences

My TV is reporting 4:2:2 when I play in HDR-mode on PS4 Pro.

If your TV supports it, the pro defaults to the next highest bandwidth option. Sometimes a full restart of the console and even the TV is required - as I've seen the pro lock to hdmi 1.4 mode a couple times.

Here's a good overview of the state of HDMI and other interfaces.

https://hdguru.com/will-hdr-lead-to-another-new-hdmi-connector/

For HDMI to support higher bandwidth for formats like 8k, it will require more pins and a new physical connector.

Meanwhile DisplayPort 1.4 announced earlier this year already provides more bandwidth than HDMI 2.0a over DP or USB-C connectors. Though it's not clear if they can have HDCP over DP?

Is it HDR + 4K?
Perhaps it's lowering the resolution to 2K (1440p)?

Actually I remembered slightly wrong, when I said my TV was reporting 4:2:2, instead it's the PS4 Pro reporting that. When I play an HDR enabled game and go to PS4 system menus and check the current video output details, it states 3840x2160 - 60Hz, colour format YUV 422. If I disable HDR from the game or from the PS4 the video output details change to 3840x2160 60Hz, colour format RGB. I'm quite certain the Display can also show it.

Here's a good overview of the state of HDMI and other interfaces.

https://hdguru.com/will-hdr-lead-to-another-new-hdmi-connector/

For HDMI to support higher bandwidth for formats like 8k, it will require more pins and a new physical connector.

Meanwhile DisplayPort 1.4 announced earlier this year already provides more bandwidth than HDMI 2.0a over DP or USB-C connectors. Though it's not clear if they can have HDCP over DP?

DisplayPort is implementing lossless compression (Display Stream Compression) and this is part of how they are delivering higher resoluitions. HDMI will probably do the same, if possible. If they are going to change the connector the industry may as well just start transitioning from HDMI to DisplayPort. It's better in every way.

DisplayPort has supported HDCP 2.2 since version 1.3.

Actually I remembered slightly wrong, when I said my TV was reporting 4:2:2, instead it's the PS4 Pro reporting that. When I play an HDR enabled game and go to PS4 system menus and check the current video output details, it states 3840x2160 - 60Hz, colour format YUV 422. If I disable HDR from the game or from the PS4 the video output details change to 3840x2160 60Hz, colour format RGB. I'm quite certain the Display can also show it.

Again, it's a limitation of the HDMI 2.0a spec. 4:4:4/RGB @ 4K60 is limited to 8-bit and HDR10 requires at least 10-bit, so an HDR signal can only be sent with chroma subsampling enabled and 4:2:2 is the best possible option.

Last edited:
Again, it's a limitation of the HDMI 2.0a spec. 4:4:4/RGB @ 4K60 is limited to 8-bit and HDR10 requires at least 10-bit, so an HDR signal can only be sent with color subsampling enabled and 4:2:2 is the best possible option.

I know, but TottenTranz's initial post was suggesting that it has to drop to 4:2:0.

I know, but TottenTranz's initial post was suggesting that it has to drop to 4:2:0.

Ah. I see.

It's possible that those displays aren't capable of dealing with 4:2:2 so fall even further back to 4:2:0. Sucks to be them. 4:2:2 isn't too bad, but the effect of 4:2:0 is noticeable on my display when looking at typical PC images (my desktop, web pages, etc.). This might effect GUI elements on console, especially at higher res.

Yeah on a PC I could not tolerate it. Playing a game on a console is not so bad. I tried PS4 Pro with a HDMI 1.4 input on my older 4k TV and it was alright.

I jumped the gun on a PS4 Pro yesterday, both because I own a PSVR but also because we're getting a Hisense 4K HDR M7000 TV.
The TV hasn't arrived yet so I can't give any feedback on that, but I did try Bound in PSVR yesterday.

I always thought the aliasing and constant lack of detail on PSVR was mostly helpless because of the headset's own low resolution. Turns out I was wrong. The game looks so clear!
The developer said with the Pro the game on PSVR uses the headset's full resolution, and the difference in sharpness to other titles (yes DriveClub I mean you!) is enormous.
They're probably supersampling over the native resolution, but it looks a lot cleaner than I thought I'd ever see in this first-gen VR experience.

I tried Playroom VR and the platformer mini-game also seems quite a bit sharper.

Now I can't wait to get my hands on Robinson, though to be honest I'm REALLY HATING the "POV teleportation" thing in Bound. They should at least give the option for people to use continuous pan and turn, even if it's not the default option. Having to teleport to some weird new place every 2 seconds really breaks the immersion. The game gets infuriating at times.

So when does Sony start adding the "better with 4Pro" marketting stickers to their PSVR headsets and games?

So when does Sony start adding the "better with 4Pro" marketting stickers to their PSVR headsets and games?

To be honest, I've seen more than one industry insider and developer claiming that the Pro was born much more from a necessity for PSVR than it was for 4K TVs.
Bound with Pro + PSVR seems to be rendering at 1920*2160 per eye, and then it gets downsampled to 960*1080. Maybe that's why the results are so extraordinary. Everything just seems to make much more sense when you try Bound + PSVR + PS4 Pro.

I jumped the gun on a PS4 Pro yesterday, both because I own a PSVR but also because we're getting a Hisense 4K HDR M7000 TV.
The TV hasn't arrived yet so I can't give any feedback on that, but I did try Bound in PSVR yesterday.

I always thought the aliasing and constant lack of detail on PSVR was mostly helpless because of the headset's own low resolution. Turns out I was wrong. The game looks so clear!
The developer said with the Pro the game on PSVR uses the headset's full resolution, and the difference in sharpness to other titles (yes DriveClub I mean you!) is enormous.
They're probably supersampling over the native resolution, but it looks a lot cleaner than I thought I'd ever see in this first-gen VR experience.

I tried Playroom VR and the platformer mini-game also seems quite a bit sharper.

Now I can't wait to get my hands on Robinson, though to be honest I'm REALLY HATING the "POV teleportation" thing in Bound. They should at least give the option for people to use continuous pan and turn, even if it's not the default option. Having to teleport to some weird new place every 2 seconds really breaks the immersion. The game gets infuriating at times.
Be careful with Robinson!

I disabled the safety features (there are two in the menu, pie-chart rotation and strafe limiter) and it was awesome, a seamless experience with great traditional controls. I truly wondered, why aren't they making all the games like this? So 15 minutes later I got some nasty nausea. I stopped playing and was still feeling horrible for an hour. I didn't feel like playing any VR for the rest of the evening.

I'll need to train my brain a bit more. :LOL:

To be honest, I think I'll rather play in 10-minute intervals and be able to strafe rotate than having to handle the pie-chart rotation continuously. It's a terrible thing!

It's funny because instead of making me reenable the safeties, it made me want to beat this thing. Astronauts can do it with proper training? I'm going to try a few minutes at a time and not force it.

It also feels weird when you remove the headset, it takes like a minute for your senses to come back to normal. I played Eagle Flight an entire evening, and when I got up I was walking around tilting my head a little around corners like a moron.
"The fuck are you doing?"
"I'm flying, I'm an eagle."
"Did you take mushrooms again?"
"No, it's the power of playstation!"

Just repasted my ps4 pro again and it instantly went whisper quiet again even when playing Spiderman.

I wonder why ps4 pro requires regular repasting...

My pc using the exact same thermal paste (grizzly bear kyro astronaut thing), doesn't need regular repasting

Variables that are at play:

Does the PS4Pro run hotter? Maybe too hot for too long and the paste deteriorates?
Does the HS mounting enable something to happen with the paste such as oxidation from air encroachment? Too little pressure or too much?
Does up-time/down-time vary a lot between devices?

Back