PS3 Firmware 3.50

If they do, I haven't noticed them in the past year.

I know MS now has a very nice cloud infrastructure code-named Azure. Azure itself can do rolling updates without affecting service quality of the hosted applications. It's really quite a thing of beauty. I'd be very surprised if they don't use this for XBL.

Sometimes you do need to switch off stuff in order to update. I wouldn´t be surprised if the next version of PSN and XBL would have a emergency system in place that was a "read only" copy that could run while they updated their system.

If they do, I haven't noticed them in the past year.

I know MS now has a very nice cloud infrastructure code-named Azure. Azure itself can do rolling updates without affecting service quality of the hosted applications. It's really quite a thing of beauty. I'd be very surprised if they don't use this for XBL.

I'm 100% sure there was one within the last 6 months. It was announced to last a full day even I think.

EDIT: http://www.i4u.com/28933/xbox-live-down-scheduled-maintenance --> 16th of June 2010.

Roofle :D

Thanks for the link. As I said, 47 firmware updates. But there could still have been more consolidation.

That is really a matter of taste is it not? I want the new stuff when it´s there not when they reach a "tipping" point.

My blame on Sony is 100% on the firmware format, the lack of patching, which they aparently included with the firmware just before the one that was hacked (lol?).

And with the hack i think they might have to change that plan again. But it´s a firmware that holds a lot of stuff, which might be better to upgrade in another way. So that all the nice extras was simple upgrades you only did when you wanted to use them. But i am pretty sure that Smart people with Sony knows all of this and have valid reasons for a 169MB download :)

Most people that follow the PS3 know that when a new firmware hits you just have to switch on "early" and get it down. I usually just apply it with the auto turn of.

It was the first that came up when I filtered with Google for within the last year, with a date of 2010 before it. There were several like these that actually pointed to a 2009 article. It may be that after that day in 2009 they changed the system so it was no longer necessary to be offline for a whole day. It may even be such that they now don't announce it anymore. Like in this thread, where people encountered issues and when calling Microsoft support got to hear there was maintenance going on: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.229289-Xbox-Live-problems ... It may be similar to what Sony has also started doing, in that during some of the maintenance that has been going on, if you had logged into PSN you could stay online during the maintenance, you just couldn't log in during that time. In the meantime, google reveals that Zune has been down twice for a whole day this year, and Live Marketplace has been down as well.

In the end, the point being that there's maintenance to all sorts of systems going on all the time, and that it still often affects users.

It depends on what gets changed on the server side. This maintenance may be for bringing up Qriocity worldwide. Operationally, they may find it easier to coordinate the rollout worldwide.

As long as XBL or PSN does not promise zero scheduled maintenance (at all) in their service agreements, they can take the network down temporarily to make significant changes. If the changes are minor, then they can probably do with no server downtime.

I'm sure Sony made commitments to the movie studios that are now releasing 3d Blu-Ray discs to market.

Possibly, I saw a flurry of 3D movie news last week. Also I forgot that today is CEDIA's opening. How time flies ! Sony also gets to point at their 3D progress during the event.

Yes, I also expect that many movie studios will have wanted to wait to author/release 3D BluRays until at least the Playstation 3 supported them. And this time with good cause, as they do indeed need to take into account limitations for BD-J stuff, and there is currently at least one 3D Bluray out there (Monsters vs Aliens) that does not seem to run on the PS3 right now.

I agree. I think your explanation makes the most sense. They need to let the 3D Blu-ray authors know how to work around PS3's limitations asap.

Irony? I honestly can't tell.

The Playstation 3 has an install base of almost 40 million. All of those were switched to be 3D BluRay capable last night. It's an important driver for 3D television and content sales. If you get a disc out there as a studio, you'll want it to work on it.

Exactly. Other than the HD Audio output, consumers should not notice the switch to BDMV menu for pop-up windows.

I cant access the US PSN store anymore. I also can´t use my UK or Japanese Account. As soon as you try to enter it, i receive a message that says "This service is not available in your country/region".

I really hope that they hand´t blocked the store access based on IP, since my main account is a US one, in which i have bought lots of games, and we dont even have an official PSN store where i live, DR.

I know, but i thought that the maintenance had finished since it stopped telling me that my password was incorrect. Thanks for the clarification.

Back