Microsoft GDC '08 keynote & announcements

So... where can I watch that Gears 2 trailer? ;)

If they're intelligent, they'll put it up on XBLM asap. :p

Sounds like they might implement a sort of mini-game to determine who wins in a chainsaw battle. At least, I hope that's what they're doing, given the description from Eurogamer.

a0ca2x.jpg

msgdc08364do4.jpg

o0dj5t.jpg

Trailer, theme and picture pack for GoW2 is available for dl on live now.

it shows nothing, its just fenix fighting a locust in a chainsaw melee, no gameplay

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, so Gears 2 has screenspace occlusion, more advanced shaders, and it can display more characters. No word about shadows, so don't expect a radical change in graphics. Then again, the original game is still one of the best looking ones out there...

Fable 2 seems to need a lot of polish. Low contrast textures, simple shaders, complete lack of variance in the enviroment, and I really don't like this neon green foliage... Lionhead guys have a tough year ahead of them.

Hmm, so Gears 2 has screenspace occlusion, more advanced shaders, and it can display more characters. No word about shadows, so don't expect a radical change in graphics. Then again, the original game is still one of the best looking ones out there...

Actually there was a bit about shadows, but I missed quoting it.

Ambient occlusion post processing filter - more realistic dynamic shadows off the back of THAT, says Tim.

first one was really nice looking.

Fable 2 seems to need a lot of polish. Low contrast textures, simple shaders, complete lack of variance in the enviroment, and I really don't like this neon green foliage... Lionhead guys have a tough year ahead of them.
Actually, I would say the neon green foilage is "by design". The world is _supposed_ to look over saturated and cartoony. I personally love the colours compared to the uniform grey and beige that you find in most of the games today (COD, Gears, Assassins Creed). I like games with brightness and colour, like Fable, Viva Pinata, Kameo. Not every game has to look like realistic drab.

Jeebus, I need new glasses. Laa-Yosh, is it really that bad ? They look fine to me (although I am watching a small video).

The innovation in Fable 2 is probably the AI, the gameplay and the economy. The game might be huge and open, so more things need to fit. They might have a good year if they can deliver on their promise(s).

Back