PS3 Firmware 3.50

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Firmware 3.50 should be out tonight/tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if my PS3s updated automatically. A Spanish forum moderator already listed the firmware updates. Here's my rough translation with some hints from other translations I found, and the original Spanish version quoted below.

- 3D BluRay support
- Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity - adds a new icon to the Music category, linking to the new service that should become available in this quarter.
- Browser update with Playstation Move 'direct pointer' support
- Improvements to the Playstation Plus user interface in the Playstation Store
- A 3D logo for 3D enabled content
- The Move (re)calibration screen in the XMB is available from within games
- You can report people from the friends menu
- 14 of the most common errors have received better descriptions
- Access your Facebook profile from within Account Management on XMB

Buona chic @ s
Martedì 21 settembre sarà disponibile un nuovo aggiornamento software per la PS3: 3,50 v

Questo aggiornamento ha le seguenti caratteristiche:
- Supporto per Blu-ray 3D
- 'Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity' - Nueno icona [Musica]. Questo servizio non è ancora disponibile per questa icona di servizio e verranno mostrati in questa sezione.
- Browser di controllo 'diretto Pointer' tramite PlayStation Move.
- User Interface Plus PlayStation PlayStation Store aggiornamento.
- Visualizzazione 3D di avviso per avvertire di contenuti 3D
- Taratura di controllo del movimento per PlayStation sarà possibile spostarsi attraverso il menu [Gioco]
- Rapporti degli utenti possono essere inviati dalla tua PS3 tramite la scheda Opzioni messaggio [Amici]
- 14 degli errori più comuni sono state estese con una descrizione del problema e delle possibili soluzioni
- Possibilità di accedere al tuo profilo di Facebook tramite PS3 attraverso la [Consenti profilo di accesso] disponibili presso [Gestione account]

Nothing really interesting or earth-shattering... Proper Move pointer support for the XMB would have been nice. Trying to select stuff with the accelerometer only is clunky and imprecise at best.

Nothing really interesting or earth-shattering... Proper Move pointer support for the XMB would have been nice. Trying to select stuff with the accelerometer only is clunky and imprecise at best.

It's not the accellerometer, it's the gyro I'm fairly sure? Personally I understand that it is not what you'd expect - a pointer that allows you to click with Action or hold and swing with trigger would have been nicer, but I still think this actually works very well - certainly already better than DS3 for me. Sure I may occasionally overshoot, but I get to where I want to be so much faster that it doesn't matter.

For Move controls, having a pointer in the browser is certainly a big improvement for me though. I wonder if there are any other hidden improvements in the browser.

It's not the accellerometer, it's the gyro I'm fairly sure? Personally I understand that it is not what you'd expect - a pointer that allows you to click with Action or hold and swing with trigger would have been nicer, but I still think this actually works very well - certainly already better than DS3 for me. Sure I may occasionally overshoot, but I get to where I want to be so much faster that it doesn't matter.

For Move controls, having a pointer in the browser is certainly a big improvement for me though. I wonder if there are any other hidden improvements in the browser.

Actually for me it's the point and click for the keyboard (I hope!!) that'll be the great addition.

I wonder if it'll pass Acid 2 now. :cry:

I wonder if it'll pass Acid 2 now. :cry:

I read that the netfront browser or whatever its called that is the heart of the PS3 browser itself does have a major update (4.0) that brings it up to speed with HTML5 and everything. And the PS3 is supposed to get support for youtube 3D ... I wouldn't dare predict anything about the PS3's browser based on this though. ;)

This one ?
http://www.access-company.com/products/mobile_solutions/netfrontmobile/browser/index.html

4.1 has partial HTML5 support. It looks like it's under trial now until Nov 30 2010. We may have to wait longer unless Sony fueled the development for PS3.

EDIT:
Ah, that's true. I know a lot of games don't report info to that list, though.

I don't use it much. Don't know which games ignore the list. I remember RFOM didn't support it initially, and then they patched the game.

The list holds 50 most recent players. If I play MAG Acquisition (64 players), Domination (256 players), or Home (32 players per space). I could blow through the list in just 1-2 sessions. :devilish:

May be related ?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/09/20/playstation-network-regular-scheduled-maintenance-6/

PlayStation Network will undergo maintenance tomorrow, September 21st. Maintenance is expected to start at just after 8 am Pacific and will last for several hours, until approximately 5 pm Pacific. During this time, users won’t be able to access the PlayStation Store, PlayStation Home or Account Management, and may encounter difficulty while signing in to PSN.

Because this maintenance window overlaps the normal PlayStation Store publish, we’ll be making new content available tonight.

According to this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23447410&postcount=1

This maintenance is worldwide; EU will be down from 9/21 16:00 ~ 9/22 02:00 BST, while JP PSN will be down from 9/22 0:00 ~ 10:00 JST.

Comment #3 in that blog article is pretty funny.

Qriocity was announced for EU earlier on. Don't know what they are up to in US. Strange that Move-enabled browser is not on the list.

EDIT: It's out now.

Reporting is against the messages in your inbox, which is great. Now that comment #3 makes sense.

Hm, they have a Dreamcast title (their first on the store?) in this week's store update, after the firmware updated. Wonder if there's a connection there.

May be !

Let's see... new updates can bring any of these to the table too:
* Blu-ray Managed Copy (Will have to see whether it's in this 3D Blu-ray update)
* Move-enabled web browser
* XMB NetFlix
* Cross game chat
* Hulu Plus (waiting for beta to end)
* Qriocity music app (for EU).
* Photo Memories (3D Photo app in HK and Japan)

EDIT: I noticed that Hulu Plus (Preview) has been updated to 2.0.2. Is this new ?

Hmm, seems like the update to the browser and Move pointer was held back, as it's not in there. Pity! Here's what the US Blog says:

Hi everyone, as we announced previously, the PS3 system software update (v3.50) is adding support for Blu-ray 3D Disc Playback, and it will be released shortly.
Additional new features in the 3.50 update include:
Facebook Integration: Developers will be able to create PS3 games that have more interaction with Facebook. Once compatible PS3 titles are available, PS3 users can choose to access public information on Facebook – including user name, profile, uploaded photos and friends list – to enhance their gameplay experience.
Grief Reporting Function: Users can send claim reports directly from the XMB for any inappropriate messages they receive from other PlayStation Network users. This feature is accessible from the option menu of the messages list in the FRIENDS category.

Hmm, seems like the update to the browser and Move pointer was held back, as it's not in there.
Even less of a point with this update then. Seriously, what's it been since the last one, two weeks? :rolleyes:

I don't understand why Sony has to do all these piddly updates (often followed by an update to the update - and more than once an update to the update of the update). Once or twice a year like MS does it is too seldom, but this is too fuckin' often.

CONSOLIDATE!!!

Back