Microsoft GDC '08 keynote & announcements

Look at the highres screenshots on Gamersyde, that's what I don't like that much. And it's not really engine related either, it's the content that's a bit lacking for such an AAA game...

Here's a video of the UE3 presentation as well:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6002_en.html
[gs]6268_en[/gs]

Ambient occlusion as a post effect isn't really related to lighting or shadows IMHO, but it surely adds a lot to the looks. But the ears of Marcus still aren't shadowed properly when he's shooting with the crossbow. Mostly it looks like catching up with features introduced in other engines; but I have to admit that the Locust horde looks very impressive, I wonder how many we'll be able to fight at once...

Last edited by a moderator:
that UE3 presentation was a far more interesting ad for Gears 2 than the actual teaser trailer...

Looked pretty awesome to me, basically gears but with some more sparkle and the possibility of much larger scale encounters. The sort of semi destructable environments looks awesome to me too, might open up some more gameplay avenues too.

My thoughts:
  • It's hard to comment on Fable 2's graphics without seeing the animation IMO. The game is supposed to be cartoony, and the first one, while looking pretty ugly (jaggy hell!) did manage to pull of a "goofy" look when you moved and fought.
  • I was surprised to see XNA games out today! To think I locked myself away with Lost Odyssey and N+ all night when I could have been playing seven new games for free ;)
  • I am very excited about XNA becoming a reality. Granted it will be up to the community to actually fill in those hopes, but I'm sure there will be some clever dicks out there who manage to pull it off. I'm betting a lot of future university projects will be focussed on delivering XNA games... what better option to have on your CV that having a game published and playable before you even enter the workforce? To think I wasted my time on J2ME share trading via HTTPS. :p Amazing, really amazing.
  • Gears 2... hard to be overly excited about another shooter until it becomes a reality. I'm certainly one who sees the excitement about COD5, Resistance 2, KZ2, Gears, Army of Two, Haze and the many other shooters and really thinks there must be something I'm missing. I actually think the comments on 1Up Yours by Shawn last weekend basically explained my view on that, though on a broader perspective (ie, there's nothing wrong with creating a well-built game that doesn't do anything new... but the drooling and excitement about a title like, say, Gears2 simply because it's more Gears doesn't click with me). I do think Gears 2 may be a fantastic game if they add on what the first game started, and by adding more than simply duck and cover gameplay over and over again. It was a refreshing game, but doing that again for 10+ hours doesn't excite me too much at this stage.
  • I have no doubt GOW2 will be a stunning game visually, and I definitely agree that the first game still stands out graphically as one of the best looking games out there - certainly in my mind the top of the UE3 heap, with many other UE3 games looking reasonably clunky.
  • Ninja Gaiden 2 - ah, I'm hoping this will be my GOTY... the first game was the epitome of rewarding gameplay to me. If you thought the game was hard, you knew it was just the fact that you weren't very good. If you played for five hours, then restarted, you'd instantly see yourself breezing through bits you at first thought were insanely difficult. Here's hoping it's not banned or censored in Australia. At the very least, make it region free, please!
  • No Too Human news?
That's about it! Any more impressions on the XNA games? I have to wait until Saturday since the girlfriend has booked the TV tonight and Friday :LOL:

Glad to see that XNA is going forward as expected (well, by me anyway). However, I just logged into Live just now to see if we Europeans, or at least my part of Europe, got anything from this ... another opportunity missed, from the looks of it.

Glad to see that XNA is going forward as expected (well, by me anyway). However, I just logged into Live just now to see if we Europeans, or at least my part of Europe, got anything from this ... another opportunity missed, from the looks of it.

Are you sure? Did you do this (from GAF):

To download the launcher:

Marketplace blade > New Arrivals > Game Content > XMA Creators Club > XNA Creators Club Game Launcher (7mb)

To download the games:

Games blade > My games > XNA Creators Club > Press Y > Download games (various sizes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the Gears of War / Unreal Engine III.5 tech demo,

I do not think people should take that as an indicator to what GeOW 2 will look like. The tech demo was using GeOW art assets to show off improvements in the UE III rendering engine. I think following previous trends for console games would show that games tend look significantly better as developers become more familiar with the systems hardware.

With that said, the Locust Horde demo was impressive as was some of the other physics related stuff the demoed.

Anyway, November cannot come soon enough!

Just played Jelly Car. Now that was such a cool simple game. My wife and kids loved it, but evidently it still don't hold a candle to playing Guitar Hero 2 co-op. They're playing it again and I'm on here. LOL Can't wait to try the other XNA games. Kudos to Microsoft to making some headway to delivering Community Games. Definitely exiting developments!

Tommy McClain

Awesome XNA announcement!

I'm so psyched!

Even more so now i've found another exceptional artist to help me out on one of the games i'm developing!

Can't wait to publish some of my works online...

(Best era for gaming ever IMO..) :D

Managed to find these games finally, thanks Paranoia - they were rather well hidden! The Dishwasher game does indeed stand out rather much compared to the others, though overall maybe I enjoyed Culture most (though that definitely needs more gameplay elements). The Jelly Car has some good promise but it's no Loco Roco yet in terms of level design - though from the video of it, the full version may be closer. Also, the graphics are a bit shakey on a big screen (looked much better in a small window).

All in all it's a great step forward though. (Hopefully that when they launch it, it gets a new and better interface in the Dashboard)

Back