Ps3: Firmware 1.6

actually, it says "queued for download", not "downloaded". So simultaneous playing and downloading might still be questionable, Nesh. Given the wording of the Japanese PR, there seems to be still confusion on the topic

I took it that it ment that one download will be active while other downloads will be queued until that one is finished.

I agree though.

March 23 should make things clearer :)

I took it that it ment that one download will be active while other downloads will be queued until that one is finished.

I agree though.

March 23 should make things clearer :)

Or 22 ... ;)

It says for Europe the download will be available at midnight, which is useful. Maybe I can get that download started on PC before all hell breaks loose (probably not, but in any case I can start it before I go to bed)

Or 22 ... ;)

It says for Europe the download will be available at midnight, which is useful. Maybe I can get that download started on PC before all hell breaks loose (probably not, but in any case I can start it before I go to bed)

We will be waiting for your input :D

for those unable to access the internet, on a disc obtained from local Customer Services.
The latest system software upgrade (Version 1.60) will deliver features such as Folding@home connectivity, background downloading of content from the PLAYSTATION®Store...
I can see why those without internet access will be keen to get firmware 1.6 on a disc :p

SCEE said:
New owners of a European PS3 will need to install the latest firmware upgrade to play the PS2 titles listed on the web site. The upgrade will be available at launch from midnight on 22nd March through the PLAYSTATION®Network, from www.PlayStation.com or, for those unable to access the internet, on a disc obtained from local Customer Services.

I can see why those without internet access will be keen to get firmware 1.6 on a disc :p
:oops:

Who are these "people," exactly? Who can afford a PS3, in Europe, no less, at launch, and yet not have access to the internet? They need their priorities straightened. :p And if for some strange act of cruel divinity the "internet" is not available in their area, then they really need to get their priorities straight, and spend that money on moving! :p

most people do not bother hooking a console to the internet, plus some rural areas don't have broadband, you don't want to add the burden of a console downloading crap to your 56K connection NATed by a PC.
if the console is for playing games and reading movies I guess you can live without the internet.

Firmware Version 1.60 also delivers a more convenient process for downloading content to the PS3 from the PLAYSTATION Store. Up to 6 pieces of content from the PlayStation store can be queued up for download while the user enjoys other functions of the PS3 system, including playing games, browsing the web, using media functions including photo browsing, video and music playback. Progress of downloads can be easily tracked under a new Download Management menu under the XMB’s Network icon(2).
Aargh! Why do they have to limit the queue to six pieces? It shouldn't be too difficult to implement an infinite queue size. So I guess there must be some reason for it that I fail to see since Xbox Live has a similar limit.. I guess they probably want you to visit the Marketplace/Store more often instead of you downloading everything at once.

Hm only GT4 prologue supported, and no MGS2, FF10,FF10 X-2, GTA SA... seems I have to keep my good old ps2! Love the german anotations (...do not connect useless USB devices... :LOL:)

:oops:

Who are these "people," exactly? Who can afford a PS3, in Europe, no less, at launch, and yet not have access to the internet? They need their priorities straightened. :p And if for some strange act of cruel divinity the "internet" is not available in their area, then they really need to get their priorities straight, and spend that money on moving! :p

There are many in Europe who want a PS3 who will get one but dont have broadband or arent planning on hooking up their consoles over the internet :)

In many EU countries the majority or a great deal of people still use dial up modems too

that surely depends on where you live in europe .. in Belgium and the netherlands, i think its more then 75% trough broadband if it isnt even bigger in %/

btw, i received a phonecall from a gameshop and i will receive a free game with my console :cool:
now thats nice!

that surely depends on where you live in europe .. in Belgium and the netherlands, i think its more then 75% trough broadband if it isnt even bigger in %/

Yeah true it depends on the territory. In some territories more use broadband than in others

I have broadband, who cares about other people ;)
And I'm getting Motorstorm for free from Amazon. Anyone who preordered (early enough?) received a voucher code and can redeem it for any one game from this list:
http://www.amazon.de/b/?node=336130011

Vouchers are valid through the end of July, and Amazon wrote in the email that they'll keep adding Sony-published games to the list as they become avaliable.

Mind you, this is coming from IGN. But they appear to have been right in their previous firmware update news in regards to Location Free.
UPDATE: We've received word from Sony that you will indeed be able to play games while downloading content in the background. Similar to how downloads on the Xbox 360 works, you'll be able to play games offline while downloads work in the background, and if you hop online your queue will simply pause until you disconnect.

Aargh! Why do they have to limit the queue to six pieces? It shouldn't be too difficult to implement an infinite queue size. So I guess there must be some reason for it that I fail to see since Xbox Live has a similar limit.. I guess they probably want you to visit the Marketplace/Store more often instead of you downloading everything at once.
Infinite queue size? Where would you store this infinite queue, in your infinite memory space?

6 is probably just a nice number that fits the use cases of most users and limits the amount of memory while it's sitting around, full.

Mind you, this is coming from IGN. But they appear to have been right in their previous firmware update news in regards to Location Free.

Thanks for the link (Finally I can turn off Blu-ray auto-start... trivial but sometimes annoying)

Sony, next up, please add...
* Multitask between different media apps (play music + browsing, slide show + music, ...)
* WAN remote play
* Some more improvement to online gaming platform (e.g., in-game messaging as promised by Phil)

...plus April Home trial, then you have a good base system. :D

Thanks for the link (Finally I can turn off Blu-ray auto-start... trivial but sometimes annoying)
I would like to see something in between auto-play and no auto-play, like what they have on the PSP. When I insert a UMD game into the PSP, the game doesn't autoplay, it jumps to the Game section of the XMB and highlights what I just inserted.
Multitask between different media apps (play music + browsing, slide show + music, ...)
You can already do this, my friend. Press the "Home" button (on the SIXAXIS) while playing music or watching a slide show and the app will continue to run in the background and the XMB comes forward. From there, you can play music, watch photos, or browse the web. Most setting change options will automatically stop playback. Same for browsing PSN or trying a network update.

You can already do this, my friend. Press the "Home" button (on the SIXAXIS) while playing music or watching a slide show and the app will continue to run in the background and the XMB comes forward. From there, you can play music, watch photos, or browse the web. Most setting change options will automatically stop playback. Same for browsing PSN or trying a network update.

T_T I just tried it... and oh my god, it does work.

I pressed the "Home" button a few times yesterday while playing music... but I held it down for too long before releasing (like when you try to quit from a game), so the system menu came up.

In fact, you can view slide show and then press "Home" quickly to go back to XMB too. The slide show will become translucent (like an animated wallpaper :) )... while the music continues to play.

The same goes with web browsing and video playback (although the music stops here). This is great ! They should let the users select a URL, favorite picture folder or video to use as background then !

I would like to see something in between auto-play and no auto-play, like what they have on the PSP. When I insert a UMD game into the PSP, the game doesn't autoplay, it jumps to the Game section of the XMB and highlights what I just inserted.

Yes this will be ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back