PS3 Firmware 3.50

Oh yeah, did I mention it looks like 3.5 might have a jailbreak? Still waiting on solid verification, the video looks sketchy as hell, but it's from a fairly reliable group. It'll be funny if Sony gets the fixed firmware out before the hack goes public. :) I want to say they managed to do that a few times with the PSP, but I don't remember for sure.

edit: It's probably fixing the downgrade exploits

The sad thing was that I thought we were probably due for a major firmware update for about a week now. :(

From twitter: @Mathieulh
Ok 3.55 is live and lv2diag.self leaked binaries have been revoked. What did I tell you? xD

Is it wrong to say that the PS3 is actually hacked now? Sony did not close the door with any of their firmware updates, they are playing catch up and they are not winning.

There's no real world application or any hardware that's easy to get hold off to use home brew on the PS3. So in that respect it's still not hacked.

If it was readily available code or specs etc, like with kinnect, then it wouldn't be wrong to say it was hacked.

While its still in the hands of a very small number of people who get the door closed on them as soon as they open one and never really has an impact on the system then its still hack free.

While its still in the hands of a very small number of people who get the door closed on them as soon as they open one and never really has an impact on the system then its still hack free.
I disagree. Hacked means the security systems were successfully circumvented allowing the running of arbitrary code. Later FW changes may introduce new limits on code, but they don't undo the success mitigation of the platform's defences.

I disagree. Hacked means the security systems were successfully circumvented allowing the running of arbitrary code. Later FW changes may introduce new limits on code, but they don't undo the success mitigation of the platform's defences.
Unless the 3.50 Jailbreak rumors are true, I'd say it's still not hacked. So you can downgrade firmware to an older official Sony version, that still won't let you play any new games that are compiled with 3.50 or later. So in a way, it's a good version of being hacked such that you can run homebrew, but the newest games won't be pirated.

Honestly from what I can tell they are having far more problems with personnel security then system security. A lot of the issues seem to stem from someone with access leaking vital info.

Unless the 3.50 Jailbreak rumors are true, I'd say it's still not hacked. So you can downgrade firmware to an older official Sony version, that still won't let you play any new games that are compiled with 3.50 or later. So in a way, it's a good version of being hacked such that you can run homebrew, but the newest games won't be pirated.

Until such a game is released, the PS3 is indeed hacked. I don't think there is a single game released thus far (including GT5) which hasn't been hacked and pirated.

So far, the biggest hurdle to being able to run pirated PS3 games is whether the console firmware can be downgraded. Once it can be downgraded then spoofing the firmware appears to be a relatively easy task (GT5 uses a jailbroken PS3 with spoofed 3.5 firmware). Although there seems to be some talk about whether this works or not.

So I'd agree with Shifty and others that PS3 has indeed been hacked successfully. The difficulty and cost of the hack is what is preventing widespread pirating. Perhaps 3.55 will be able to make it stop but 3.5 may or may not have done anything.

Regards,
SB

Until such a game is released, the PS3 is indeed hacked. I don't think there is a single game released thus far (including GT5) which hasn't been hacked and pirated.

So far, the biggest hurdle to being able to run pirated PS3 games is whether the console firmware can be downgraded. Once it can be downgraded then spoofing the firmware appears to be a relatively easy task (GT5 uses a jailbroken PS3 with spoofed 3.5 firmware). Although there seems to be some talk about whether this works or not.

So I'd agree with Shifty and others that PS3 has indeed been hacked successfully. The difficulty and cost of the hack is what is preventing widespread pirating. Perhaps 3.55 will be able to make it stop but 3.5 may or may not have done anything.

Regards,
SB
Which is unfortunate for us core users. Hackers are the scum of the gaming / computing industry to me. Selfish little pricks running around with their panties in a bunch, swearing what they do is "for the good of the community". Irresponsible ass hats is what they really are. Each one of them may as well be a pirate as far as I'm concerned.

/rant

You are incorrect. GT5 and Need For Speed require 3.50 and cannot be run on jailbroken consoles. Nobody has gotten it to work.

Inconsequential but for some reason 3.55 has re-ordered the icons under the video section of the XMB on both my PS3s, moving Netflix to the bottom of the list and the NHL app up by one.

Cheers

There's no jailbreaking 3.50. Just downgrading; an open implementation for downgrading using the PS3 master key was discovered/created literally just today. So basically the process would be to downgrade to a firmware that can be jailbroken, and upgrade to 3.5 to play anything that requires it.

Downgrading (using an old lv2diag.self file after) was fixed in 3.55, so don't upgrade to it unless you want to close that window of opportunity.

The master key is unaltered; sounds like people can still access service mode in 3.55, they just can't use the old .self files to downgrade (yet).

You are incorrect. GT5 and Need For Speed require 3.50 and cannot be run on jailbroken consoles. Nobody has gotten it to work.
IMO you can consider it like a security door. An unhacked console is one where the security features are closed (doors locked shut). A hacked console is one where the door has been opened (locks picked, smashed in with a hammer, whatever system is used). Subsequent security measures patch the dooway (sandbags, planks nailed across) but that doesn't change the fact the door is gone and you're now holding back the intruders with emergency measures because you're primary defence is gone.

In this case, it seems as if someone provided the interlopers with a copy of the key or door specs or something, enabling them to break it open.

They've probably had access to a jig for a while, but it's only seen real use since the enabling of downgrades, as part of the process of downgrading is putting the PS3 into service mode (done through reproducing the jig's response code - the "master key" people have been waiting for). Actually jailbreaking a PS3 doesn't require a legitimate jig response code.

But no, the PS3 isn't wide open. It isn't as secure as it *could* be, but Sony can otherwise fix up holes when necessary and wall off jailbreakers from newer games that are built upon i.e. SDK 3.55, the firmware of which revokes the lv2diag.self files that were leaked and used for downgrading. And AFAIK the heap attack used to jailbreak doesn't work in 3.42+ either way.

Inconsequential but for some reason 3.55 has re-ordered the icons under the video section of the XMB on both my PS3s, moving Netflix to the bottom of the list and the NHL app up by one.

May be icon sorting is case sensitive now... Filesystem improvement/changes ?

corduroygt said:

Where did the "GT5 uses a jailbroken PS3 with spoofed 3.5 firmware" rumor start ?

I don't know, but there were rumours that a group were going to release a 3.50 jb yesterday, but it never materialised. As far as I can tell 3.50 is as unhackable as ever and there is no leak forthcoming so it should remain so.

Firmware 3.50 should be out tonight/tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if my PS3s updated automatically. A Spanish forum moderator already listed the firmware updates. Here's my rough translation with some hints from other translations I found, and the original Spanish version quoted below.

- 3D BluRay support
- Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity - adds a new icon to the Music category, linking to the new service that should become available in this quarter.
- Browser update with Playstation Move 'direct pointer' support
- Improvements to the Playstation Plus user interface in the Playstation Store
- A 3D logo for 3D enabled content
- The Move (re)calibration screen in the XMB is available from within games
- You can report people from the friends menu
- 14 of the most common errors have received better descriptions
- Access your Facebook profile from within Account Management on XMB

You need to add that it contains a partial port of Webkit with an active Javascript engine in the PS3 as of Firmware 3.5. This was confirmed in both a GNU license required posting of changes to support a PS3 HTML5 Javascript engine and an Email from the Sony employee in charge. It's a Cario/Posix port and on-going with more to come.

So do people think that we will get a webkit browser at some point.

My guess would be that it'd be for Plus members if at all. That may be enough to get me to signup for it btw.

On a more general note, did they change the system update mechanism? I updated to 3.55 yesterday in it absolutey flew thru it.

I thought they changed the update mechanism quite a while ago ?

Yap, I think charging for the webkit browser is ok.

Back