Ps3: Firmware 1.6

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
SCEJ announced the details of the upcoming firmware 1.6 for its Playstation3 earlier today. The firmware update, to be released on March 22nd in Japan and March 23rd in Europe, is including the already announced Folding@Home client for PS3 and several other enhancements for the XMB interface. Among the improvements are background downloading , the possibility to access the PS3 via PSP from a hotspot -also possible with 20 GB model- , a fullscreen keyboard and new zooming options for its webbrowser. However, Sony specifically mentioned that the useable tasks during downloading are restricted and the details will be announced either during the firmware update or on the official websites.

I believe you can't play games while downloading... which is better than watching a progress bar, but still pretty pointless IMO. :cry:

I believe you can't play games while downloading...
It's oposite. You cant download while playing PS3 games.

At least now you can stop and resume download. We still dont know will the download be stoped on DVD/BD playback, or while playing the ps1/ps2 games.

Ok, so this backround downloading was the one that has been previously mentioned and that stops when you start playing nad resume after play, right? I don't get why it is so hard for them to make proper backround donwloading? They seem to have more RAM reserved for the OS, a far better CPU so this should a non issue compaired to the 360...

Looks like I'll be getting a pretty complete package then this Friday ... ! I look forward to being able to show off my PSP to PS3 connection over the WiFi at work. :D Great stuff. It will be very interesting to see how efficient it uses bandwidth, and how good the quality is, both in terms of video and sound.

Hopefully you can combine Folding, Remote Access and downloading ... that should be good enough for me. Should be good for beyond3d's folding team also. :p Downloading and browsing and/or playing music would be nice also - that should satisfy me for most things.

Now looking to take a day off, either this Friday or a day next week. Downloading is going to be tough - probably a big bandwidth hit. I'll try to get my PS3 early so I can download the essentials first thing in the morning when all is still relatively quiet.

SCEJ announced the details of the upcoming firmware 1.6 for its Playstation3 earlier today. The firmware update, to be released on March 22nd in Japan and March 23rd in Europe, is including the already announced Folding@Home client for PS3 and several other enhancements for the XMB interface. Among the improvements are background downloading , the possibility to access the PS3 via PSP from a hotspot -also possible with 20 GB model- , a fullscreen keyboard and new zooming options for its webbrowser. However, Sony specifically mentioned that the useable tasks during downloading are restricted and the details will be announced either during the firmware update or on the official websites.
Orr hurl noes!
I'm very certain I'll be getting a PS3 on the 22nd. And I want that firmware to go with it. Or else.
*grumble*

Looks like I'll be getting a pretty complete package then this Friday ... ! I look forward to being able to show off my PSP to PS3 connection over the WiFi at work. :D Great stuff. It will be very interesting to see how efficient it uses bandwidth, and how good the quality is, both in terms of video and sound.

:cool: Yes this is what I look forward to also.

Hopefully you can combine Folding, Remote Access and downloading ... that should be good enough for me. Should be good for beyond3d's folding team also. :p Downloading and browsing and/or playing music would be nice also - that should satisfy me for most things.

Hmm... I'd rather they implement BitTorrent (instead of FTP/HTTP) for downloading files since this should shorten download time given the large PS3 network. Background downloading is more necessary if it takes a long(er) time to download.

I also hope they continue to improve their online gaming functionality. None is mentioned in the OP. A lot of people will be expecting some improvements.

Nevertheless, all the multitasking niceties you mentioned above are indeed nice, if available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I'll be getting a pretty complete package then this Friday ... ! I look forward to being able to show off my PSP to PS3 connection over the WiFi at work. :D

According to IGN, this will not be possible. The LocationFree over internet doesn't seem to be apart of this firmware update (if IGN is correct):

Those who use their PSP as a remote media viewer for the PS3 have something to look forward with version 1.6. Previously, the PSP had to connect directly to the PS3 in order to access media, meaning you had to be in the same area as the PS3, and only owners of the 60 Gig model could take advantage of the feature. Version 1.6 adds the ability to access the PS3 from a wireless point in your home, bringing 20 Gig users in on the action, and presumably allowing additional freedom of movement. Not quite the worldwide access we were hoping for, but this is at least a step in the right direction.

According to IGN ... right. ;)

I think they misunderstood the part where it says that now that you can access your PS3 from anywhere with your PSP, you are no longer limited to using direct WiFi access from PSP and PS3, and hence it has the added advantage that remote play now becomes available to owners of the the 20Gb system which does not have wireless built in.

I'd like to get more detail on the background downloading limitations. The rest does not interest me.

Was hoping for DTS-HD (MA) decoding and other online stuff :(

They already announced that there would be other stuff in the Firmware upgrade ... we'll just have to wait and see what exactly.

I think they misunderstood the part where it says that now that you can access your PS3 from anywhere with your PSP, you are no longer limited to using direct WiFi access from PSP and PS3, and hence it has the added advantage that remote play now becomes available to owners of the the 20Gb system which does not have wireless built in.

IGN's reputation for accurate news is impeccable! :D

There are some screenshots here of the updates
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070319/ps3.htm

What's going on in that first screenshot? The one with the grand_canyon JPG.

Well, the press release says "from a domestic hotspot". So take that as you may.

Well, the press release says "from a domestic hotspot". So take that as you may.

Well, yes, like I said, the PSP can now access a 20Gb version PS3 through a domestic hotspot, where previously no connection was possible whatsoever.

I could be wrong, but Phil himself told some guys at ThreeSpeech that remote access over the internet would be included in the 1.6 firmware. If I'm mistakenly thinking this announcement covers that, then so be it.

Edit: this is what Eurogamer got. Note that the article starts with "Sony confirmed to Eurogamer ... "

You'll also now be able to use your PSP remotely with the PS3, globally connecting using Wi-Fi hotspots, rather than having to be directly connected to the console.

It could all still be a big misunderstanding of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

I wonder if I ll be able to play movies as well as PS3 games through that in my PSP :smile:

I'm afraid this upgrade sounds like a disaster to me. If it can't even download a file, that suggests the whole multitasking OS engine is knackered and unable to do anything. That OS-SPE and 96MBs is still sat there doing nothing. Can't even stream a few KB a second to the HDD. At the moment the idea of a background OS looks to be a totally failed attempt. Why is that? What's the hold-up, and when'll it get fixed?

Hmm... I'd rather they implement BitTorrent (instead of FTP/HTTP) for downloading files since this should shorten download time given the large PS3 network. Background downloading is more necessary if it takes a long(er) time to download.

you must have a very good connection, for other people most often with 256K or 128K of upload it will be slow, saturate the house's connection and bring everything to a crawl.

I'm afraid this upgrade sounds like a disaster to me. If it can't even download a file, that suggests the whole multitasking OS engine is knackered and unable to do anything. That OS-SPE and 96MBs is still sat there doing nothing. Can't even stream a few KB a second to the HDD. At the moment the idea of a background OS looks to be a totally failed attempt. Why is that? What's the hold-up, and when'll it get fixed?

The press release says: "because there're restrictions". So it would seem that downloading takes more resources than the memory reserved by and for XMB. I've no clue as to what could be done while downloading, but I'd guess it would video / audio incl. Blu Ray playback and maybe certain arcade games.

Back