PS3 firmware 2.80 avaiiable

I think I may know what's the matter with the L1/R2 clicks - all buttons on the sixaxis are analog. It may well be that they are reading them in analog mode and picked a threshold so that if you just accidentally tap a button nothing happens, so you have to press the buttons a bit more firm. Could you try and see if that helps?

OK, I'll give it a go tonight.

Yes €40 for the clip-on is to much, I got my from amazon.uk a while ago for less, it´s £19.95 there right now, which is not that bad.

Anyone else caught by the "do you want to run the plugin" nag window issue? As far as I can tell, they appear to have removed the option to change the default plugin behaviour so if you had set this to prompt previously, you are now stuck forever more getting repetitive pop-up prompts with every single page load.

The security model for the PS3 browser licks (especially compared to Firefox with NoScript and AdBlock enabled).

IMHO of course.

Cheers

Actually I can't remember the last time I had to click 'do you want to run the plugin' ... I'm fairly sure it remembers your answer or something? Anyway, I haven't seen that window in quite a while, and I browse daily.

Actually I can't remember the last time I had to click 'do you want to run the plugin' ... I'm fairly sure it remembers your answer or something? Anyway, I haven't seen that window in quite a while, and I browse daily.
No it doesn't remember. Very annoying!

Did they ever have the option to remember the setting? If you set that before they took the option away maybe that's why you don't get those prompts. But I'm not so lucky.

I tried the browser again I think the unresponsivenes I was mostly refering to was the fact that when a video-file unloads the browser get stalled for a few seconds even though the page is shown perfectly but does not accept any input, that is not signalled in any way to user, the controller simpy doesn´t work for a second or two.

But the browser has more issues, one of our major newspaper sites looks like shit in the browser. I do hope it will get a major overhaul at some point in time, I want more options for setting the page width etc.

Off Topic: I just discovered all the ctrl options in the post-editor. Nice! :D

I tried the browser again I think the unresponsivenes I was mostly refering to was the fact that when a video-file unloads the browser get stalled for a few seconds even though the page is shown perfectly but does not accept any input, that is not signalled in any way to user, the controller simpy doesn´t work for a second or two.

But the browser has more issues, one of our major newspaper sites looks like shit in the browser. I do hope it will get a major overhaul at some point in time, I want more options for setting the page width etc.

Off Topic: I just discovered all the ctrl options in the post-editor. Nice! :D

In general, I find that back/forward are not so responsive. Even if I use a keyboard to enter the "Back" command, the command is recognized almost immediately but it takes about 2 seconds to go to the previous page. It may be because the browser is slow to unload the current page and load the new one. Rendering a new page is not so bad.

The renderer certainly needs improvement. It scored 26/100 in ACID3 test. A link test failed and the browser seemed to abort the test at that point.

I installed Konquerer on Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 and tried to run ACID3, but the browser crashed. Will test FireFox tomorrow. I have not installed Epiphany (based on latest WebKit) yet. Need to update many libraries :(

Outside of benchmark tests, I do see the web browser gaining relevance. HTML5 is a very powerful media platform. I have seen eye catching 3D demoes and video applications on it. If we simply see the web browser as an occasional surfing tool, then the current web browser may be adequate for some people. However, it's possible to build a brand new entertainment experience using HTML5 -- like a "hands-off" TV experience for assorted web site/content.

No it doesn't remember. Very annoying!

Did they ever have the option to remember the setting? If you set that before they took the option away maybe that's why you don't get those prompts. But I'm not so lucky.

I don't recall ever having an option to remember the plugin setting. I think they may be white-listing some sites now to cut down on the prompts. Youtube doesn't prompt for the video player anymore but homestarrunner.com still prompts for everything.

It just occurred to me another reason why the browser struggles with ram usage is because of the amount of languages it supports for different regions. I just went to the famitsu homepage and all the japanese text displayed correctly. On winxp the asian pack is an optional install of 230mb on the hdd, not sure how much it uses of ram but i'm sure it's significant.

Last edited by a moderator:
The languages may be loaded on demand...
(Also WinXP is a Desktop OS, which should be more complete and hence, heavy weight than a device OS like PS3).

Anyway, I came in here to post FireFox on YDL 6.2's ACID3 score: 71/100

(Also WinXP is a Desktop OS, which should be more complete and hence, heavy weight than a device OS like PS3).
Of course it's going to be more bloated on Windows. I don't think something like this can be loaded on demand for web browsing. I've been on pages with english and several asian languages(google results pages).

The language code pages ? Why not ? The HTML header identifies the charset and the browser can interpret it differently. The basic pages (covering ASCII) will be loaded regardless, and then they can load the language specific ones.

I've never noticed any lag from on demand HDD/firmware access when visiting asian sites on my PC or ps3. But whatever I don't want to get into another crusade with you.

Again, I was just throwing out possible reasons why the browser struggles with memory. Because we do know from the developers that a) the browser struggles with memory and they also said virtual memory is not a good solution because hdd access is much slower and b) the developers have admitted they'll never be able to get rid of frame dropping on h.264 flash videos(wether this is due to memory or problems with cpu optimization was not revealed). But I know you refute that even though we know it straight from the developer's mouths so have fun proving them wrong.

Again, I was just throwing out possible reasons why the browser struggles with memory. Because we do know from the developers that a) the browser struggles with memory and they also said virtual memory is not a good solution because hdd access is much slower and

I have not encountered "Out of Memory" error on the PS3 browser for a long time now. They may already be using the new VM mechanism. People like DeanA and archie4oz will need to confirm though.

b) the developers have admitted they'll never be able to get rid of frame dropping on h.264 flash videos(wether this is due to memory or problems with cpu optimization was not revealed). But I know you refute that even though we know it straight from the developer's mouths so have fun proving them wrong.

The frame rate is dependent on a number of factors, not just the decoder performance. e.g., The network/netcode may be unable to deliver the frames on time too. The engineers never really explain the details but they acknowledged that having a dedicated SPU for video decoding is a strength for the PS3 browser. It is not uncommon even on a PC to choke at times on some video that they play smoothly on a good day (due to network issues). Also, H.264 has many profiles. Without specifying what profile is used, no one can tell you what the performance will be like.

I have not encountered "Out of Memory" error on the PS3 browser for a long time now. They may already be using the new VM mechanism. People like DeanA and archie4oz will need to confirm though.
They are already using virtual memory and they also admitted that is not a good solution because performance is hurt from the slow hdd access.
The frame rate is dependent on a number of factors, not just the decoder performance. e.g., The network/netcode may be unable to deliver the frames on time too. The engineers never really explain the details but they acknowledged that having a dedicated SPU for video decoding is a strength for the PS3 browser. Also, H.264 has many profiles. Without specifying what profile is used, no one can tell you what the performance will be like. It is not uncommon even on a PC to choke at times on some video that they play smoothly on a good day.
Yes they said having a dedicated spu for flash video is a big strength and that's when they admitted that even doing that wasn't going to get rid of frame dropping for h.2.64 flash video

Oh man here we go again. I'm out of this thread before this turns into another few pages of arguments. I'll just stick to what the developers have said. You keep believing what you want to believe.

They are already using virtual memory and they also admitted that is not a good solution because performance is hurt from the slow hdd access.

Ah... where is the source ? I couldn't confirm that they have indeed switched to VM. Does it also use the VM for in-game web browsing ?

Yes they admitted having a dedicated spu for flash video is a big strength and that's when they admitted that even doing that wasn't going to get rid of frame dropping for h.2.64 flash video

Oh man here we go again. I'm out of this thread before this turns into another few pages of arguments.

Sure... like I said, the problem is a complex one. No one will be able to answer a simple, open-ended probe like this. Even if the engineers try to explain the intricacies, the interviewer won't be able to summarize it properly. Streaming video framerate depends on many factors, including the format + profile used, decoder performance and netcode + network performances.

Yes they said having a dedicated spu for flash video is a big strength and that's when they admitted that even doing that wasn't going to get rid of frame dropping for h.2.64 flash video.
The only problem here is you cite the h.264 decode issue as evidence to support your argument that memory's a problem. If you accept there could be plenty of reasons for frame-drops, then the argument "h.264 frames are dropped, ergo PS3 has a memory problem" does not hold.

The only problem here is you cite the h.264 decode issue as evidence to support your argument that memory's a problem. If you accept there could be plenty of reasons for frame-drops, then the argument "h.264 frames are dropped, ergo PS3 has a memory problem" does not hold.
I did accept that anything could be causing the framedrops! All throughout this thread! I never declared memory as the definitive cause. I don't think it's netcode though. Streaming is very basic and hulu had buffering.
the developers have admitted they'll never be able to get rid of frame dropping on h.264 flash videos(wether this is due to memory or problems with cpu optimization was not revealed).
I didn't even point to RAM as the definitive cause! I only suggested it as a possible reason because of past 'out of memory' issues on sites with flash, I also suggested it could be the browser/flash needed more optimization.
We do know from the developers the browser struggles with memory and they also said VM is not a good solution because slow hdd impacts performance. Wether that's the cause of h.264 flash video choppyness is not definitive it could be other things.

I did accept that anything could be causing the framedrops! All throughout this thread! I never declared memory as the definitive cause...
Right. But where you mention it here :
Again, I was just throwing out possible reasons why the browser struggles with memory. Because we do know from the developers that a) the browser struggles with memory and they also said virtual memory is not a good solution because hdd access is much slower and b) the developers have admitted they'll never be able to get rid of frame dropping on h.264 flash videos(wether this is due to memory or problems with cpu optimization was not revealed).
You refer to the video playback in the same breath as 'possible reasons the browser struggles with memory, because...' after giving reasons why PS3 could be low on memory.

Otherwise, I don't understand why the playback is even mentioned! ;)

I separated the memory and flash issues into two a) and b) points. I mentioned both because I was recapping what we know straight from the developer's mouths about issues with the browser.

I also mentioned the reason for the choppyness wasn't revealed in that post of mine you quoted. I don't know how you got confused.
b) the developers have admitted they'll never be able to get rid of frame dropping on h.264 flash videos(wether this is due to memory or problems with cpu optimization was not revealed).

Anyway, I came in here to post FireFox on YDL 6.2's ACID3 score: 71/100

YDL must have an old version, 3.5 is 93/100.

And please, please, please stop using ACID3 as a barometer for web standards support. It's a very, very niche test that specifically tests 100 common (at the time) rendering bugs in most browsers. Most of these bugs revolved around Standard ambiguities that have since been cleaned up (and in several cases, the acid3 test itself changed as the author misread the standard). Acid3 is a very tiny drop in the bucket of massive web standards.

Back