PS2 EE question

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by vipa899, Jan 24, 2018.

1. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

@Mobius1aic
    Red Steel looks very nice, the floors reflect nicely aswell. Seems fun with the wii-controls, different to say the least :) Wii certainly overpowers PS2 but thats no suprise if the GC allready did on most levels.
    Have you tried/seen The Conduit? Said to have bump mapping, refraction, gloss/detail mapping. Dont know if GC could handle that game though.

RootKit likes this.
  2. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

Red Steel's floor reflections are just mirror'ed geometry with a texture layer in between. It looks appropriate enough for shiny tile.

And yes, the Conduit is full of those effects, though alot of them look very rough.

vipa899 and Liandry like this.
  3. dogen

Regular Newcomer

Ghosthunter also does a lot of cool volumetric lighting in the opening cutscene (first couple minutes of the video i linked) .

Burnout revenge looks pretty good too.

Lots of particles that interact with the world, physics, and pretty nice looking bloom and reflections on the cars. 60 fps too

#303 dogen, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Liandry likes this.
  4. Liandry

Regular Newcomer

This game looks a lot better than typical PS2 FPS, you just should play it on PS2. :-D A lot of geometry, textures with very high resolution (for PS2), great effects.

VU1 was used for sure, for geometry and lighting calculations.

And yes, Red Steel looks very good, but I think Red Steel 2 looks a lot better, and it also have a lot better physics. ;-)

5. Liandry

Regular Newcomer

Volumetric lighting is also in King Kong game on PS2, and in one place in Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix.

True, and I also think this game could compete with star wars games for GC.

6. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

BE revenge and Black indeed showed what PS2 could do, they must have nearly maxed it on PS2, in Black you can fill a whole room with smoke and particles by shooting on walls etc, with no or little slowdown. Both games are also on xbox with even better performance, but gamecube lacks both, if its performance related i dont know, with all the particles going on, it could be the case, those games played to PS2's strengths greatly.
    Looking better then RS3? Hard to say cause they are completely different games, most people favour RS3 though, reading on different forums. Even classing it as the best looking/performing 6th gen game. Have you played it?

7. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

The Wii is just a faster clocked GC with more RAM and I/O thrown in, so yeah, it could have handled it, with the appropriate modifications (lower rez textures, and so on.)

vipa899 likes this.
  8. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

This game was so ahead of its time. It was almost like playing a sample of a next generation experience. Super impressive!

9. dogen

Regular Newcomer

Yeah I would hope so lol. You had to at minimum use VU1 to get any decent performance out of the system. ;-)

Mobius1aic likes this.
  10. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

I wonder where the EE fits in a 2D powerhouse like Odin's Sphere or in the recognition of player movements for Eye Toy games. Clearly the former could be done on the GC and Wii (Muramasa) but I remember being more impressed with Odin's Sphere overall more grand scale. It had been a while since I've played OS though.

As for Eye Toy games I wonder if the SSE2 capabilities of the X-CPU were robust enough because I believe image analyzing and recognition requires high vector throughput when analyzing incoming images.

11. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Never in my entire life have i thought about an eye toy game as something requiring fast hardware. I remember having eye toy-like games on my P2 450 without problems, dont know if its the same thing though.

12. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Pretty sure EyeToy was just using visual frame differences on the whole. One of the Play modes showed the significantly changed pixels, and you could easily create most/all the games using overlaps between such pixel changes and game objects.

13. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Also, P3 wasnt that SSE and SSE2 for P4 series? Anyway i think xbox wouldnt have much trouble running eyetoy play or Odin's Sphere.

Rebel Strike

That would be harder on ps2 or xbox :p

OCASM likes this.
  14. dogen

Regular Newcomer

Probably would've been fine on xbox

vipa899 likes this.
  15. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Ive seen claims that almost all ps2 games are rendered 480p internally, but arent just outputted that way. Is this true? I cant test myself yet as i only have RGB scart for the ps2s, with component and software like GSM on o moddes ps2 one can force 480p.

Was the ps2 just as capable as the xbox regarding 480p support? Did games across those platforms run at equal front/back buffers?

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=238075&start=40

For the og xbox i have component cables but not seeing that much diff between 480i/p, 720p and 1080i do :)

16. dogen

Regular Newcomer

No, and that guy was joking.

vipa899 likes this.
  17. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Something with the front and back buffer, with hdtv exploder one cpuld enable progressive scan.
    If true one can wonder why developers wouldnt enable it if its already there.

18. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Playing zoe2 again (on ps2), 2 hours in and the game still impresses, especially the boss shooting massive red particles.
    Any info on if vu0 was used in macro or micro mode there?
    How would a gc/xbox version have fared if built from the ground?

This title fills the whole screen with different particle effects and colours, the environments are quit bad but the effects are something else even now. The blue lights from the jet-propulsion looks cool too.

OCASM likes this.
  19. dogen

Regular Newcomer

I'd guess something like MGS2. Slowdown with lots of particles.

vipa899 likes this.
  20. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Mgs2 wasnt build for the xbox in mind, but a port. Wonder how zoe2 would have been if it was done for the xbox in the first place, from the ground up.