Controllers and every other aspect of Orbis and Durango

Do you think that they will support the old controllers? No sense buying totally new controllers when all the buttons are basically the same. Its a waste really.

The new UI may need the new touchpad to navigate well. Navigating a point-and-click UI can be troublesome on a regular DS3 (like using a web browser on PS3).

No. No support for the DS3 in the PS4 (current Move, however, is supported).

Ha, clearly Sony does not care about anybody but itself. Now its even more certain that I will not buy the ps4 when it comes out. This crap is unacceptable.

Track pad UI navigation? seriously? didn't they try that with the Vita? Its decision like this which really rub me the wrong way. I hope the people who bought the move are happen to finally get some use out of it.

Ha, clearly Sony does not care about anybody but itself. Now its even more certain that I will not buy the ps4 when it comes out. This crap is unacceptable.

They mentioned in the meeting that the comms between the PS4 and DS4 was "improved/lower latency" (new bluetooth?) and obviously the DS3 doesn't have the light to enable player identification for head tracking.

Otherwise, the DS3 is rather old...

Track pad UI navigation? seriously? didn't they try that with the Vita?
Its decision like this which really rub me the wrong way. I hope the people who bought the move are happen to finally get some use out of it.

The obvious question is whether the touchpad is analagous to the move controller for UI interaction... (e.g. if you have a move controller, you "draw on the screen with it", if you have a touch-pad controller, you draw on the screen with the touchpad).

Vita OS navigation was touch only. It works really well. They added button navigation in a patch because some folks asked for it.

I wonder why there is no DS3 support. Probably to focus in the new OS development and device support. Personally, I think the new controller should work much better. I look forward to try it.

Can we really call the new PSEye4 a 3D camera? Wouldn't stereo cameras be more fitting?

Tommy McClain

I would consider a camera with a depth sensor to be 3D. Does PSEye4 have a depth sensor? Even Sony is not calling it a 3D camera. The stereo cameras can approximate 3D, but I wouldn't consider it 3D compared to say Kinect.

Tommy McClain

You can use 2 cameras to estimate depth for the entire view in real time. Posted a video last week. Not sure if Sony will do it the same way (That team uses an FPGA).

For the player's absolute 3D positioning input, it will use the DS4 or Move's light source method.

The new PSEye will be used to capture 3D photos and videos too.

I have no idea what Sony will call it.

What's the difference between a 3D camera and stereo camera?

One returns two images.
The other returns depth as a channel.
You may be able to extract some depth approximation from the former, depending on how many CPU cycles you throw at it.

I would consider a camera with a depth sensor to be 3D. Does PSEye4 have a depth sensor? Even Sony is not calling it a 3D camera. The stereo cameras can approximate 3D, but I wouldn't consider it 3D compared to say Kinect.
The "depth sensor" in the Kinect is just a camera as well. An IR camera, but there's nothing magical about it. The depth information you can deduce by using 2 offset visible-light cameras is no more "approximate" than the depth information you can deduce from a single IR camera with an offset IR pattern projector. In fact, one could argue that the Sony solution can derive more precise depth info (in a best case scenario), since it appears to use higher resolution imagery as the input to its depth calculations.

Now, I do think the Kinect is a more robust depth-sensing solution, because it does not require good room lighting, nor does it not rely on the target having high contrast features to triangulate. (Kinect's pattern projector paints those details onto everything.) Still, I don't see why both schemes can not be classified as "3D".

If the Kinect 2 uses a time-of-flight camera, then perhaps you could start making such a distinction.

The "depth sensor" in the Kinect is just a camera as well. An IR camera, but there's nothing magical about it. The depth information you can deduce by using 2 offset visible-light cameras is no more "approximate" than the depth information you can deduce from a single IR camera with an offset IR pattern projector. In fact, one could argue that the Sony solution can derive more precise depth info (in a best case scenario), since it appears to use higher resolution imagery as the input to its depth calculations.

Now, I do think the Kinect is a more robust depth-sensing solution, because it does not require good room lighting, nor does it not rely on the target having high contrast features to triangulate. (Kinect's pattern projector paints those details onto everything.) Still, I don't see why both schemes can not be classified as "3D".

If the Kinect 2 uses a time-of-flight camera, then perhaps you could start making such a distinction.

Media Molocule's sculpting demo I think is a pretty good indication of the precision of 3D Move (can we call it that?).

Come to think about it a stereo camera probably has a better working set of information than a camera + depth sensor. There probably is a reason we mammals are born with 2 eyes instead of an eye + a depth sensor :LOL:.

Given that Sony sold equipments with dual cameras under the 3D umbrella (e.g., 3D Bloggie), I wouldn't be surprised if PSEye is also labeled as a 3D product.

Sony Electronics have backed away 3D it seems.

It's a pity since John Carmack fell in love with Occulus Rift. Hope to see a 3D VR visor for PS4 too.

Media Molocule's sculpting demo I think is a pretty good indication of the precision of 3D Move (can we call it that?).

Come to think about it a stereo camera probably has a better working set of information than a camera + depth sensor. There probably is a reason we mammals are born with 2 eyes instead of an eye + a depth sensor :LOL:.

Probably why it's also called a depth camera.

I hope this is a look into what the PlayStation4Eye will bring with it's Stereo Camera.

it's called DUO & it's made using 2 PlayStationEye cameras to track your hands in 3D

http://www.duo3d.com/about/kit

"Built for 2 PS3 Eyes in Stereo
Dimensions: 172x80x17mm
640x480/320x240 Resolution
RAW Bayer Sensor Data
Tracking Up to 187 FPS
USB 2.0 Interface "

ISO.jpg

Any guesses if I will still be able to use my Sony Pulse headset with the PS4. It uses a usb stick so I would assume I could but they said you couldn't use DS3 so... *shrug*
Will the DS4 not be a blue tooth controller, I'm not really looking forward to having to use that camera. I have the PS3 eye in a draw and I only bought that for use in Rainbow Six.
Sorry if this wasn't the place for this question so many next gen threads wish there was just one big one lol

Any guesses if I will still be able to use my Sony Pulse headset with the PS4. It uses a usb stick so I would assume I could but they said you couldn't use DS3 so... *shrug*

No-one knows that level of detail yet... the DS4 has a headphone/set socket on the bottom and there was a rumour that it would ship with a headset.

Will the DS4 not be a blue tooth controller, I'm not really looking forward to having to use that camera. I have the PS3 eye in a draw and I only bought that for use in Rainbow Six.

Supposedly the DS4 supports "Bluetooth® Ver2.1+EDR", although I don't think we've been told how many bluetooth devices are supported?

Back