Call of Duty 5: World at War

nintenho

Veteran
There will be co-op for the first time in a Call of Duty. Also there will be vehicles and squad-based elements to the multiplayer. Formats: PC, PS3, 360 and Wii. The Wii version is being worked on by a separate team within Treyarch. (The mag) reckons it’ll be a much closer comparison between the next-gen and Wii versions than any other Wii game on the market.
“Jeez, they have the CoD4 engine running on the Wii apparently. They are using [the CoD4 engine] for all the next-gen ones too. The Wii Zapper will be supported.

“Also, this is how gritty it is: â€ËÅ“The opening scene of the first level we are shown is a Japanese commander stubbing a cigarette out in the eye of a prisoner before slitting his throat - the blood splatters and dribbles down the side of the tent you are being held in. He turns towards you to deal out the same treatment but help arrives just in time. Cue a daring level-long escape.’â€

As is now known, the game will be set in the Pacific theatre of World War II.
"This is a scarier Call of Duty than we've ever seen," Treyarch head Mark Lamir says in the mag.

To help simulate the Japanese's different style of warfare, Treyarch has completely re-tinkered the enemy AI in World at War. Instead of taking cover and flanking in traditional European battle strategies, the Japanese hide in trees, sneak through the overgrowth and scrabble, katana in hand in violent suicide attacks.

"We figured out early that the Imperial Japanese fought in a different way that was full of suspense," creative lead Rich Farrelly tells OXM. "From that point we started to skew the game in that direction."

Excitingly, for the first time in Call of Duty's campaign 4-player co-op is supported over Xbox Live - and it supports meta game perks as in CoD4's excellent online mode
just read through the article, they are doing some interesting things. here's a quick summary.

Gameplay
- Flamethrower has propagating fire (like Far Cry 2). It's design and handling is based on Return to Castle Wolfenstein, they have the lead level designer from RTCW helping. It melts enemies skin off.
- Can shoot through cover (think Battlefield: Bad Company): "with enough bullets, the player causes enough damage to one of the walls to create a hole big enough to walk through"
- You can swim for the first time in the series (both SP and MP). You can not sprint and only walk half-speed while in water.
- Ropes hang dead POWs from trees which you can shoot down.
- Certain vehicles have entire levels dedicated to them, "most notably the PBY Catalina search and rescue plane and a dramatic aerial raid on some Japanese aircraft carriers"

Co-op
- 4 player co-op online, or two-player co-op via split screen.
- Co-op is identical to SP game
- Includes a "metagame" scoring system - you are constantly earning points which can be used to unlock special co-op perks OR you can transfer those points earned over to MP and unlock perks/weapons there instead.
- One scenario demoed involves a player attracting attention of a tank while the other climbs on top and throws a grenade in the hatch.

Multiplayer:
- 16 players online
- Vehicles. In MP there are vehicle-specific levels and game types meaning people can ignore them if they want.
- Has COD4's perk system "keeping some of the most relevant and popular ones from COD4" with a selection of new ones too. The perks will be relevant to that time period, so no UAVs or other modern stuff.
- Party leader can issue orders to the team which will place an indicator on other players HUD saying where they're needed.

Development Info:
- Uses CoD4 engine which was enhanced (especially physics wise). Environments are much more destructible. It's possible to burn objects or blow them to pieces. Bodies and objects float in water. Impressive lighting.
- Lead platform is Xbox 360 with separate teams handling each port
- Has a two year development schedule which is more than twice as long as CoD3's 11 month schedule.
- Treyarch built a full-sized skeleton of the PBY Catalina (vehicle) in their motion capture studio.
- They have a military advisor, Frank Kearsey, helping out.
- 96 channels of audio - many of which are ambient jungle noises. Has "real-time occlusion" which means sound coming from behind a wall or building will sound muffled in comparison to a noise in your direct line of vision.
There's a lot of grainy magazine scans at the links. It looks really good considering the lighting upgrade from COD4 and the destructible/burnable environments running at 60 fps. It's the most realistic fire I've seen in a game. It looks like they'll upgrade just about everything from COD4 so I don't really mind that it's going back to WW2. I do hope they have another sniper mission like in COD4 where you have to be stealthy.

No linking to scans. Info about the game can be found at GAF. link -AlS

There's a lot of grainy magazine scans at the links. It looks really good considering the lighting upgrade from COD4 and the destructible/burnable environments running at 60 fps. It's the most realistic fire I've seen in a game. It looks like they'll upgrade just about everything from COD4 so I don't really mind that it's going back to WW2. I do hope they have another sniper mission like in COD4 where you have to be stealthy.
Does this mean it might be at an even lower resolution and textures than COD4? I hope not.

Interesting set of features. Too bad it's Treyarch and too bad they went back to WW2. However at least it's the Pacific this time around, which could be interesting.

Lucid, the textures in *removed link* shot look pretty fine to me. I'm sure they'll upgrade the resolution if anything sine they've had 2 years to work on it. Treyarch only had 11 months to do COD3 and that looked really good in gameplay.

I'm not really bothered by the retreat to WW2 since they seem to have done it for an actual reason..which I think is fighting fanatical enemies? I mean, you're probably going to be using a flamethrower on japanese hiding in caves and the Soviet invasion of Berlin going to have a lot of fights to the last man I'd imagine. I really do hope they stop the respawning enemies thing..

No linking to scans -AlS

I'm very dissapointed that they're back in WW2, but then again the Pacific Theatre hasn't been done to death like the European Theatre.

I'm very dissapointed that they're back in WW2, but then again the Pacific Theatre hasn't been done to death like the European Theatre.

Yeah. I don't think there's been a good pacific game yet. I'm actually fairly optimistic about this title.

Bastards! They know what daddy likes! (co-op)

Indeed! I want this from every console FPS I play now. My roommate just started playing through Lost Planet the other day and I was sitting there watching him play, guiding him to secret areas and giving tactical advice, when I thought "man, this would be such an awesome game with co-op!".

Indeed! I want this from every console FPS I play now. My roommate just started playing through Lost Planet the other day and I was sitting there watching him play, guiding him to secret areas and giving tactical advice, when I thought "man, this would be such an awesome game with co-op!".

Agreed. The great failing of the PC market was not offering co-op when they had a significant lead in online gaming.

I'm not sure why it took devs so long to realize there was a big market in co-op. It always seemed to be the first feature to get dropped during development.

Some pacific-theater action with co-op could be pretty awesome.

I've played too many WWII FPSes to be excited regardless on whether its more Pacific or European Theatre based. I don't want to fight with anymore WWII based weaponry.

Another COD in the WW2?

I feel that the "war" genre has reached its peak unless they think off new settings.

I am very fed up with WW and middle east war games. They feel the same and play almost exactly the same. And I dislike the impressions they create on people about the wars too.

Also it is always about the Nazi's, Mexicans, Arabs and Communists.

Another COD in the WW2?

I feel that the "war" genre has reached its peak unless they think off new settings.

I am very fed up with WW and middle east war games. They feel the same and play almost exactly the same. And I dislike the impressions they create on people about the wars too.

Also it is always about the Nazi's, Mexicans, Arabs and Communists.

Are you saying by omission that space marines killing aliens hasn't been fully fleshed out yet?

Unless/until someone comes up with a new branch, the entire genre has peaked and is mainly being propped up by online play with its associated d__k wagging. This too will ebb.

Are you saying by omission that space marines killing aliens hasn't been fully fleshed out yet?

Unless/until someone comes up with a new branch, the entire genre has peaked and is mainly being propped up by online play with its associated d__k wagging. This too will ebb.

I am not sure about space marines killing Aliens since I dont buy them. But I think there is more freedom in that one to create different settings and ideas,

But so far the ones based on realism are designed on stereotypes and on the same exact plot concepts. They could have used a setting in the USA fighting American putschists or dictators, or in Africa fighting against evil organizations that are planning a full scale assault on another country. Or who knows even Australia? Improvise people, improvise :p

I would like to see americans fighting americans! I don't think that country can digest that!;)

Wait for Chair Entertainment's Empire, written by Orson Scott Card. Or not, if Epic killed that project after acquiring Chair.

I have been waiting for a Pacific Theater WWII shooter ever since I read Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon:

Cryptonomicon said:
"Haven't you guys figured out yet that banzai charges DON'T FUCKING WORK?"

"All of the people who learned that were killed in banzai charges," Goto Dengo says.

Back