[PC] Kingdoms of Amalur

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Dresden, May 13, 2011.

1. poopypoo

Veteran

I finally stopped playing Skyrim long enough to get this. I am SHOCKED at how much I love it. I'm usually the first person in line to bash these kinds of RPG-lites, but it really hits the Fable-but-better sweet spot. The game, first and foremost, is gorgeous, in that Blizzardy way. The textures aren't impressive, taken separately, but everything fits so well into the scene, and everything looks painted by real artists, not just photoshopped together.

Combat is actually fun. The eight weapon types all behave just enough differently to make you seriously consider which one you want to use. The spells are fairly well-balanced and their gameplay effects can be radically different. Lightning bolt is nothing like poison blade which is nothing like Earthquake which is nothing like Mark of Flame. The character class system is a little weak, but it does allow great flexibility, and few powers or upgrades leave you wondering why on earth would you buy them.

But the really criminally underrated aspect to this game, imo, is the writing. Sure, it's troperrific, but Salvatore really nailed it. The fae are NOT elves, they're old irish style fae, and they're brilliant. The central theme is perhaps the most boring aspect, but the races are really solid, the world is inspiring, and the writing is generally as good as it gets. The voice acting lets the writing down on countless occasions, and is a prime example of why the practice of fully voice acting rpgs is usually ruining them. Important scenes are usually done well enough (with typically weak scripted animation), but the re-use of four main actors for every bit role, and the weak direction on the majority of those lines, kills immersion. Most of the fae shffer most, with their silly phaser voice and weak direction, which makes them all sound identical - and boring.

Still, this is a promising game, with a lot of replay value and a careful system. It would be basically perfect, for an aRPG, if it weren't hopelessly too easy. I play with a modified version of YSA mod (actually a trainer script for Cheat Engine), which makes things perfect. Combat is deadly and every step is worth thinking out. Stacking percentages can still make blacksmithing far too uber, so tread lightly on that regard and the crafting is super fun.

Lastly, that idiot from Oblivion decided that the best fix for levelled enemies was level locks, which means if you're an explorer, like me, you'll lock all enemies to their minimum level, regardless of when you actually go questing there. I highly recommend the forum's level locks .pdf, but you'll do ok if you just limit random exploration to outdoor areas - dungeon delving too early can ruin the game.

Tl;dr - game is much more brilliant than people give it credit for. The art direction goes places dungeon siege and nwn wish they could. The writing is tropey but unusually high standard without resorting to DARRRRK FAAAAANTASYYYYY. ;p and the gameplay is everything fable 3 should have been.

2. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Big shame. It looks like the MMO side of the company (Project Copernicus) brought down everything at Studio 38, including the Big Huge Games guys that were bought to do the single player Kingdoms of Amalur. They only had the go ahead for a PC patch, but even that's unlikely to see the light of day now, unless someone buys the company. The IP will probably go to the State Of Maryland, who lured 38 Studios to the area with a 75 million loan... and then only paid up for 50 million, leaving the company unable to survive through to the release of Copernicus.

Here's what Copernicus would have looked like:

3. poopypoo

Veteran

Just dyin to make me hate on mmorpgs even more eh >_<

4. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

#44 Sinistar, May 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  5. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Presumably Maryland would have intended to get the loan paid back with interest, and they should have got a thriving business and employees paying taxes on profits from a successful MMO making millions a month just like WoW.

6. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

It looks like they had built a pretty and interesting world with Copernicus. Would suck if it all went to waste.

7. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Schilling speaks out:

8. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

From Falkon:

9. green.pixel

Veteran

10. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

It's a big shame. Schilling obviously had dreams and ambitions beyond his ability to execute, but he had a big pile of money to try.

When you look at the Copernicus trailer further up the thread, 38 Studios was pretty close. Copernicus could have been the setting for multiplayer version of Amalur:Reckoning... Reckoning was a lot of fun, lot of side missions, stories and different areas to explore, and Copernicus could have made it bigger, better, and with your friends.

11. Davros

Legend

The release date of a game is “the most costly piece of information we own,” says Schilling.

Well he couldn't of owned much then ;)