Apparantly the PSP2 exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They also need to optimize the use of the smaller screen. In XMB, the sub-items only get to use part of the screen. That said, I think there's a way to ease/migrate XMB into this new experience. XMB is minimalist, so it's pretty easy to fit the basic model into more elaborate UI by adding more animation or customization options.

What we see today is only part of the PSP2 experience. I don't think the impressive hardware will make it any different from the original PSP.

They need to allow us to convert our UMD games into digital copies first ! I have Peace Walker but haven't played it yet.

This same comment has been made far too many times now and i don't understand why anyone would expect Sony to care about that. You have UMDs because you own an PSP. If you want to buy a PSP2 Sony would prefer you do so to buy and play PSP2 games, and if you really want to play your old PSP1 classics then they're available to d/l. You can always sell your PSP1 now with all your UMDs and then rebuy the games online on PSN. Of course they're more expensive there but that's the price you pay for added convenience. Otherwise just keep the PSP1 and play your UMDs when you wanna play those games.

It's like people who bought a gamecube expecting nintendo to release a HW system to rip N64 cartriges and burn them to one of those mini-DVDs the gamecube used... That's not Nintendo's problem. Neither is providing a means for UMD game transfer for PSP2.

I can understand the argument completely for the PSPGo... But PSP2 is a different console.

I can buy a PS3 Portal 2 and get a PC/Mac Portal 2. ^_^

It's Sony's call. I don't have a PSP2, and likely won't buy one. If they want more people to buy PSP2 down the road, they have to think of more enticement. :p

They got rid of the XMB? Jeez, Sony, learn some consistency! One Sony experience across all platforms. Same content, same feel, integrating everything. Whatever is on PSP2 should feature in PS4 and your TVs, if PSP2 is the first of the Next Gen Sony devices.

Oh, and regard specs, it's exactly we some of us were expecting. No special new 4 SPE Cell or whatnot. Defintiely not PS3 power! I said that was impossible. No byte-compatible hardware with PS3 or PS4, although a software solution for PS3/NGP titles builds on Mini's and is a welcome option. The 2009 rumours were spot on! And no UMD. We almost all said there'd be no UMD and why carts were the future (I assume Dd option for every title too). It's nice to see informed logic prevail. ;)

NGP will also be an easy target for iOS ports. If Sony have a very free, but not completely open, platform they can choose to select the best of iOS and not dilute their library with dross and clones.

Glad they have touch screen top and bottom too. As a handheld it's very nice. Have no idea it'll compete with consumer mindshare though, especially if it's priced high which it no doubt will be as Sony always price high. I think iPad and smartphones will generally be more desired, and among gamers 3DS will attract the lion's share of interest, leaving NGP marginalised to PS3 fans who want those games on the move. We'll see.

Yes you were right again on no 4 SPU cell and more than half right on cross platform. Also you are correct that since this PSP2 and iOS have the same GPU and CPU family that Sony can have most PSP2 games (with controls overlay) ported to iOS and the reverse.

Compatibility with the industry for cross platform rather than within Sony using the Cell appears to be primarily a business decision. With both Android 2.3 and later and iOS the PSN store can sell to 100% of the portable market.

Back to what is in the PSP that would cause me to buy it. IF the same games will be available on Android and iOS, as you said; "why buy the more expensive" PSP2. It will be dedicated to games and not as generally functional as Android or iOS.

There has to be something Sony is going to offer in the OS that will attract. That something should be available on the PS3 also. That's what I'm interested in knowing.

Yes you were right again on no 4 SPU cell and more than half right on cross platform. Also you are correct that since this PSP2 and iOS have the same GPU and CPU family that Sony can have most PSP2 games (with controls overlay) ported to iOS and the reverse.

Compatibility with the industry for cross platform rather than within Sony using the Cell appears to be primarily a business decision. With both Android 2.3 and later and iOS the PSN store can sell to 100% of the portable market.

Back to what is in the PSP that would cause me to buy it. IF the same games will be available on Android and iOS, as you said; "why buy the more expensive" PSP2. It will be dedicated to games and not as generally functional as Android or iOS.

There has to be something Sony is going to offer in the OS that will attract. That something should be available on the PS3 also. That's what I'm interested in knowing.

I think here is where the "+" in the "power vr SGX-543MP4+" description plays a rol. Not only making the GPU more powerful but making it differente from the competence and avoiding porting games to other devices. i supposse the "+" part of the design is Sony propietary ( i think there is also a modified part in the CPU cores ).

What would be really tasty for me would be if they announce some new kind of "Remote Play" functionality but in reverse so that you can play PSP2 on your big screen, through your PS3 over a wireless connection.

Technically would this be possible, accepting that it'd likely introduce a bit of input lag, but could it happen perhaps?

I can buy a PS3 Portal 2 and get a PC/Mac Portal 2. ^_^

It's Sony's call. I don't have a PSP2, and likely won't buy one. If they want more people to buy PSP2 down the road, they have to think of more enticement. :p

Well, if you buy a PSN PSP game now, I think the chances of being able to use it on the NGP are really good. But Sony isn't going to care about a UMD you bought 5 years ago. It's unfeasible, and unreasonable that people keep making that demand. Nintendo never offered to rip GBA carts for people who bought the DSi, and no one is busting their balls.

What would be really tasty for me would be if they announce some new kind of "Remote Play" functionality but in reverse so that you can play PSP2 on your big screen, through your PS3 over a wireless connection.

Technically would this be possible, accepting that it'd likely introduce a bit of input lag, but could it happen perhaps?

Good example. Could built into the PSP2 OS be a standard for GPU calls that could be supported on the PS3. Only those calls would be sent to the PS3 not the finished and larger video output from the PSP2 GPU. This would have the benefit of using the PS3 shader and GPU graphics so the final output of the game would be PS3 quality 3D and resolution.

Same for video from the PSP2 to the PS3. Syncing screens between the PSP2 and PS3 to control the PS3.

Good example. Could built into the PSP2 OS be a standard for GPU calls that could be supported on the PS3. Only those calls would be sent to the PS3 not the finished and larger video output from the PSP2 GPU. This would have the benefit of using the PS3 shader and GPU graphics so the final output of the game would be PS3 quality 3D and resolution.

Same for video from the PSP2 to the PS3. Syncing screens between the PSP2 and PS3 to control the PS3.

I'm not sure they could design it at such a low level to achieve what you described and actually be able to play the game at a reasonable framerate. The Wi-Fi wireless connection has nowhere near the bandwidth for that.

I was thinking more in the way of just the finished PSP2 framebuffer being sent to PS3, maybe with some added post-process filter for AA or something like that by the PS3 GPU and then just displayed on the bigger screen.

I dunno though... any more informed minds can chime in to give their views on what's viable or not?

Modern Warfare 3 port on this thing and it could be the western answer to Monster Hunter in Japan. I dont think it needs any special gimmicks, all this needs to be a big success it the right content. The dual thumbsticks has just made this device an automatic success IMO.

I'm not sure they could design it at such a low level to achieve what you described and actually be able to play the game at a reasonable framerate. The Wi-Fi wireless connection has nowhere near the bandwidth for that.

I was thinking more in the way of just the finished PSP2 framebuffer being sent to PS3, maybe with some added post-process filter for AA or something like that by the PS3 GPU and then just displayed on the bigger screen.

I dunno though... any more informed minds can chime in to give their views on what's viable or not?

Both the PS3 RSX and PSP2 Power VR SGX55x GPU support OpenGL ES 2.0. Games on the PS3 are generally written at a level lower than OpenGL for flexibility and speed. Since Sony is stressing cross platform compatibility and I believe will be supporting OpenGL WebGL games and a OpenGL HTML5 webkit browser, Android platforms, the majority which support OpenGL ES 2.0 and iOS which also supports OpenGL, they may be coding OpenGL for PSP2 not low level. If so, OpenGL calls can be sent over the wifi to the PS3 and an OpenGL application can display on the PS3. The OpenGL calls are higher level requiring less bandwidth for wifi to the PS3.

Stressed at the Tokyo PSP2 News conference was cross platform, Open GL is cross platform. If everything is written using OpenGL calls, half the work is already done for a port. This is what OpenGL was designed for, to allow games to port between platforms and to insure graphics support was available for games. Direct X is the same thing for Microsoft products and games and why the Xbox was named X-Box.

Syncing graphics, the screen on the PS3, with the PSP2 if Open GL is used for the PS3 XMB would be the reverse of the above and also easy to implement. PS3 games, typically could not be displayed or synced on a PSP2 as they GENERALLY use lower level graphics routines. Some of the newer (written with multiple platform in mind) games will probably use OpenGL and could display on a PSP2 but who would want to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back