[PC] Kingdoms of Amalur

That does the same thing as many of the other key remappers available for Windows version based on Vista and higher. It edits the registry location that holds the key mappings which then requires a restart (or possibly just logging out and logging back in). Not practical for me as I often need to have my computer on for weeks at a time.

But it's not that big of a deal now that I found the realtime keymapper. Now I'm just waiting to see the various bugs in the game get fixed before picking it up. And since I missed out on the pre-order bonuses, I may just wait for a price reduction as well. Only probablem is that is occasionally (rarely) glitches out and thinks a remapped key is being held down. Easily fixed by just spamming that key and other keys in rapid succession though.

Regards,
SB

Bought it in regular retail. I like it, strangely enough.
Once I had finished installing EAs Origin, (intrusive piece of spyware crap), I could finally install the game and play. It looks and plays a bit like mix of WoW and some console fighting game. Not very graphically demanding so most people should be able to get very smooth gameplay and good control. As have been noted there are problems with clunky interfaces, as usual with these console->PC games.

It's saving grace is the lively game play. While the art style is colourful the background story is bland - young races on the rise, elv.. sorry, fae on the decline, and an ancient evil connected to world mythos growing. Same old story as ever but with slightly changed names. So the world feels derivative and predictable. But you keep busy doing errands, move forward slowly with the story line, and generally grow in abilities quickly enough that the gameplay feels rather fresh, and you get a new trick up your sleeve every now and then. Similar to Diablo 2.

In fact, I'd say it's much, MUCH closer to Diablo 2 than Skyrim. Not necessarily a bad thing, depends on what you like. Continous action RPG fighting, interrupted by having to unload a truckload of loot that's clogging up your inventory. Largely pointless crafting that gives you a reason to collect stuff and takes space in your inventory, but doesn't really matter much, nor provides any identity or quest lines or such in the game. Tacked on time waste, or nice addendum for those that like to tinker? Your choice. It's there for you to care about or ignore.

It's fun, with no greater depth. Comparing Skyrim to KoA Reckoning as I've seen done is like comparing wine to Dr Pepper. They don't compete in the same genre.

Active and smooth game play, colourful world, pretty good pacing - nice.
Bland and derivative world, very linear in its progression, little impact of choices, and a fair bit of "waste your time" errand running - less nice.

Overall, I like it, but it hasn't made a lasting impression on me. It's not really interesting enough to finish, but it is entertaining, so eventually you're going to finish it anyway, unless something better comes along to grab your attention.

One thing that irked me about the demo was how ranged abilities automatically locked onto targets. I didn't explore the game settings much, but is it possible to disable that feature? It's kind of annoying.

Largely pointless crafting that gives you a reason to collect stuff and takes space in your inventory, but doesn't really matter much, nor provides any identity or quest lines or such in the game. Tacked on time waste, or nice addendum for those that like to tinker? Your choice. It's there for you to care about or ignore.

I'm not sure it's necessarily pointless. If you're good enough you can obviously ignore the improvements available through crafting potions (50% reduction of all damage, 25% increase in all damage you do, etc.) for the harder boss fights. But those would be handy for people less skilled at the dodging and parrying mechanics required for the harder boss fights.

And on the armor and weapons side, from what I've seen of my friends playthrough (he's a completionist type player so doing all sidequests) at level 27 or 28. He has yet to find a single piece of dropped loot (rare, unique or set piece) to come even remotely close to what he can craft (purple mastercraft items). Although chest pieces with epic gems come sorta close in one area or another but generally not overall. Not as game breaking as what I've read about Skyrim's crafting system, but still more powerful than the loot that drops.

But again, as with potions if you are good enough with the combat mechanics you probably don't absolutely need the better gear just as you don't necessarily need the huge buffs from potions.

I think I'm going to wait for a sale before picking this up. Been waffling between wanting to play it now and just waiting for a sale due to missing out on the pre-order bonuses.

Regards,
SB

I'm not sure it's necessarily pointless. If you're good enough you can obviously ignore the improvements available through crafting potions (50% reduction of all damage, 25% increase in all damage you do, etc.) for the harder boss fights. But those would be handy for people less skilled at the dodging and parrying mechanics required for the harder boss fights.

And on the armor and weapons side, from what I've seen of my friends playthrough (he's a completionist type player so doing all sidequests) at level 27 or 28. He has yet to find a single piece of dropped loot (rare, unique or set piece) to come even remotely close to what he can craft (purple mastercraft items). Although chest pieces with epic gems come sorta close in one area or another but generally not overall. Not as game breaking as what I've read about Skyrim's crafting system, but still more powerful than the loot that drops.

But again, as with potions if you are good enough with the combat mechanics you probably don't absolutely need the better gear just as you don't necessarily need the huge buffs from potions.

I think I'm going to wait for a sale before picking this up. Been waffling between wanting to play it now and just waiting for a sale due to missing out on the pre-order bonuses.

Regards,
SB
Hmm.
I should probably rephrase it a bit. The crafting system is not integral to game play. This has the advantage that you can largely ignore it, if you don't feel like spending your game play time picking flowers. That's good. But the flip side of that is that there is nothing in the game that indicates that you are growing in your abilities as an alchemist, no alchemists guilds you join, no quest lines to follow to find a unique recipe, no... The coin has two sides, and your preferences will dictate how you feel about that.

For all my negative tone, the game delivers where it matters most. It's fun.
This is computer gaming we're talking about, and at the end of the day, entertainment is what it's about. And the game is entertaining. It's just that it walks very well trodden paths, to the point of ridicule. (The evil mages are called "blood mages"? Gee, who would have guessed.)

It really is Dr Pepper. Sweet, bubbly and entertaining.
Good? Well, it depends on what you're looking for.

Aye, it's a very forgiving game and not entirely necessary to do any particular path to do well in the game from what I've seen.

Although it appears that their skill system is extremely abuseable. I'm reading about people that spec max find hidden in the early game. Then just find a fateweaver to respec before crafting and go max blacksmith. Then after crafting gear, just respec again and go max whatever. Rinse and repeat through the whole game.

So basically as soon as you can max a single skill (level 16) you can easily play with all important skills maxed whenever you want. So basically being able to mastercraft with no downside other than money for respecing. And apparently money is very easy to make.

I've yet to find a single game where being able to respec has added anything good, IMO. But being a mostly single player game, no harm if someone else abuses the system. Doesn't mean I have to when I play. But it's annoying just knowing the temptation is there.

What'll be interesting is if they keep a similar respec system for their MMORPG. Yay for being a master crafter in all crafting professions once you have enough skillpoints to max one of them. :p

Regards,
SB

OK, I'll give you Guild Wars as it was absolutely vital if you were going to PvP with the constant balance changes to address each overpowered PvP team build that would come out after each balance change.

And I suppose it was necessary in Rift, again due to the constant balance changes to the game which were unavoidable as having hundreds of thousands of potential character builds means there was no way for the devs to realistically balance the game. But in this case I think it was more a sign of a broken system hence needing it, rather than respecing actually adding anything good.

Regards,
SB

One thing that irked me about the demo was how ranged abilities automatically locked onto targets. I didn't explore the game settings much, but is it possible to disable that feature? It's kind of annoying.

No, I don't think so, and I don't see why you'd want to. Ranged weapons are integral in air-juggling combos, and without lock-on it would basically be impossible.

No, I don't think so, and I don't see why you'd want to. Ranged weapons are integral in air-juggling combos, and without lock-on it would basically be impossible.

True enough, but that doesn't remove the irritation of not being able to choose your target in general. (Or for that matter, when you inexplicably swing into thin air because the game apparently hasn't understood that you've turned around to face your enemies.)

It's pretty symptomatic of the game as a whole, engaging fight animations, but irritating lapses of actual control. A crafting system, but nothing that anchors it in the game world. Quests given for stuff to take place at night, but no day/night cycles. The respeccing issues that Silent_Buddha pointed out. The cliché game world. The list goes on. It really does give a very superficial impression. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, it can still be a fun and entertaining game, but it's not really something you'd like to invest in, for lack of a better word.

Hell, there are days when I just want to vent by killing pixellated Nazis. Or Mutants. Or Nazi Mutants!
Or for that matter roll around on the grass poisoning giants as I pass them by, occasionally letting loose some really nice fight animation (love the chakrams!). KoA Reckoning fills that role nicely. Depth? Er, hrm,... No.

I think you can use the right stick to switch between targets. I rarely use ranged attacks, so I don't really remember. Oh yeah, PC so ... I have no idea what the controls are for switching targets.

I like the game just fine. It isn't my favourite game of all-time or anything, but I think it'll probably hold my interest longer than some other RPGs just because the combat is a lot more entertaining. I agree that the cliché game world and art style are a weak point.

I think you can use the right stick to switch between targets. I rarely use ranged attacks, so I don't really remember. Oh yeah, PC so ... I have no idea what the controls are for switching targets.

I like the game just fine. It isn't my favourite game of all-time or anything, but I think it'll probably hold my interest longer than some other RPGs just because the combat is a lot more entertaining. I agree that the cliché game world and art style are a weak point.

If we focus on the positives, I fully agree that the game drives home the point that the CRPG genre could gain a lot by daring to let the fighting be influenced more by skill than almost exclusively by stats. (At least we are finally letting go of having the player administrating a party, a weird hold-over since the days of desktop Dungeons and Dragons.) And even though it uses the fighter/rogue/mage archetypes, the KoA lets you mix them up, and at least feel a bit more free in choice of identity and play style, even though you soon realize that it's a bit of a con and rather indicates a sameness in mechanics. But it looks different, and gives a visual uniqueness/flavor to the fights that depends on your choices, which is not to be underestimated. And it largely does a pretty good job in terms of pacing, which personally I find to be a critical parameter when it comes to game enjoyment.

Yeah, that sameness is one problem I'm finding with a lot of RPGs now. They balance everything so well that in the end things seem to end up all being equally as powerful, with little or no differentiation. For example, in a lot of games is there really a practical difference between using a bow or casting a direct damage spell, other than the aesthetics? Is there a difference between a fire bolt, an ice bolt or a lightning bolt? Usually no. I found the magic in Skyrim a little disappointing, in that not many of the combat spells seemed to have unique behaviour or strengths. At least in KOA the weapons all handle differently and have combos that may be more or less effective depending on number or type of enemy being fought. I guess I'll see if that turns out to be true as I wade further into the game.

well monsters do have weaknesses and resistances (nothing is totally immune) so choosing the right weapon helps, although all weapons dish out some amount of physical damage so you can kill anything with any weapon if you hit it enough times

Quests given for stuff to take place at night, but no day/night cycles.

Well there is day/night cycles, but it's pretty subtle and doesn't really seem to affect anything that I could see from watching my friend play. Just the sky changes and people go to sleep. But still talk to you like normal if you go up to their sleeping form. Also determines what activities they'll be doing and where they will be (work, roaming, home).

Regards,
SB

Bought it, haven't played it for more than an hour, though. Skyrim is an all-encompassing, life devouring pit of merciless, soul draining, game play. I'm gonna fool around with Amalur tonight. For realz this time.

The demo was awesome. The world looks bland, but I liked the artstylr of ghe characters Nd loved the gameplay !
Will definitely get it, but there's other stuff in life right now. But this one's been marked for a purchase :) !

I tried the demo but I couldn't get into it at all. Far far too console-style gameplay for me, and I really hate the JRPG ridiculous weapons.

Back