Apparantly the PSP2 exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't know what to think of it.
I was enthusiastic before but not now for some reason.
I don't like the curved design, I prefer the angular design of old PSP more.
I would have preferred sony to put all of their R&D into making PS4 a kickass machine that couldn't be bettered, all PSP2 does is push out the life of PS4 which I alraedy find outdated.
I sold my corei7 and GTX480 gaming machine to make way for a nursery for my ever growing family so that doesn't help but than I haven't held the PSP2 yet ! BUT the real pull could be playing games on both systems and taking a game save with you on holiday although games are hardly that long now anyway nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
PlayStation Suite is on Android, certainly, but I doubt NGP is. Android is licensed under terms that would require Sony to release the source code for the kernel and kernel-mode driver components they distribute, since Android is Linux-based.

Yes fuzzy here. The PSP2 could have a Sony OS but still run Android games. Same could be true of the PS3. Use many of the same open source libraries and it becomes easier. For that matter the PSP2 could be running android and launch games in a Sony native language OS.

Mentioned several times was cross platform. One theory is a developer (SNAP like) IDE would help developers develop and publish through SONY, hardware neutral games that SONY would then publish and sell through the PSN Store on Android, PSP2, PS Phone and PS3. The compiling to native language being taken care of by Sony. In this speculated model, Android does not have to be running on the PSP2. Edit: PSP2 games could be ported to iOS using the same model although this was not mentioned.

Best explanation follows.

Sony's PlayStation Suite is a new cross-platform initiative for Android mobile devices and tablets, aimed at appealing to gamers as the company tries to continue its success in the heavily competitive field of mobile gaming.

“It expands the PlayStation experience beyond the PSP border. It is the first cross platform endeavour,” said president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, Kaz Hirai, on stage at the company’s PlayStation Meeting 2011 in Japan.

Rather than focusing on new hardware (although Sony have announced a new version of the PSP - dubbed the NGP) the new offering will “make PS content available on Android smartphones and tablets”, and be a “hardware-neutral game framework”.

Clearly seeing the strength in offering both a hardware and software solution, Sony has announced that those not fussed with its gaming hardware will still be able to enjoy the PlayStation Network experience and games on other devices that the manufacturer doesn't even make.

"The target platform of PS Suite is Android. We will also launch PlayStation Certified to perform content-quality testing in order to ensure PS quality across various devices," said Hirai.

“We are preparing to launch PlayStation Store for Android-based devices."

Users will be able to play PlayStation games on their phone regardless of whether Sony Ericsson or Sony has made the device, with developers overlaying the PlayStation controls over the screen. (see picture below)

Read more: Sony PlayStation Suite brings PS gaming to Android - Pocket-lint http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/38152/sony-playstation-suite-android-app-store#ixzz1CELYRRAG

sony-tokyo-event-1317.jpg

The PSP2 is only going to be 2X faster than the already announced next generation iOS and Android tablet. By release late 2011, there will probably be tablets at or near the same performance level. The PSP2 controls and what Sony brings to the OS are the big news; there is not enough information on that.

The PSP2 is essentially a very fast, top end Apple Tablet (same hardware CPU and GPU) with Playstation controls, the OS is different. Does Sony have plans to offer iOS cross platform games in addition to Android? If so then the PSN store would have titles that would work with 100% of all portable platforms, Android 2.3 and later and all Apple iOS.

If the business model applies to PS3 games then I expect cross platform (SNAP) IDE to allow for cross platform games on Windows and Linux platforms also sold in the PSN store and certified by Sony.

Cross Platform in this context does not mean one compiled program able to work on all platforms, it means that one hardware neutral source code can be compiled for each hardware platform so that the same game is available on multiple platforms in native language on each platform.

Did they say someting about battery life? That's my biggest concern.

If this machine is priced around 300$, i buying it from day one. :D

Are the PSP games compatible with the NGP or do devs have to port them over?
I wasn't sure what they said when they showed monster hunter.

Shame Neotechni is banned, I would have liked to rub the no UMD into his face :smile:

The 5" screen is what makes this interesting for me, if it has good media playback features.

They need to allow us to convert our UMD games into digital copies first ! I have Peace Walker but haven't played it yet.

How much does it have internal storage? Or will it use SD / Memorysticks?

Definitely will buy the NGP. My PSP has been gathering dust since it's battery died (it's the first, original model, and I can't find batteries for it anywhere), aslo my iPhone has fixed some my mobile gaming/media needs.
The dual analog sticks are most welcome, most games are virtually impossible to play with just the touchscreen, trhat's why I basically play only puzzle type games on iPhone.
What gets me most excited though is if you really can continue playing a PS3 game on a NGP. I know it's depending on the game, and it's not a native feature of the hardware, but if implemented in a Kojima game, that already sells me one :)

hoping for HDMI out with amazing scaling ability, we have seen how good games in similar resolution (Alan Wake) looks on a big screen.

Hmm… press release didn't talk about memory specs. Rumors say 512Mb.

I have an iPad, so media playback is better there.

Resume from PS3 game is not that useful for me. If I'm not playing a PS3 game, it usually means I'm not supposed to play (Too busy).

I am more curious about the software and content (e.g., Qriocity movies/music and their DRM, Playstation Suite). I suspect Playstation Suite may have more services coming.

hoping for HDMI out with amazing scaling ability, we have seen how good games in similar resolution (Alan Wake) looks on a big screen.

They have shown porting from PS3 to PSP2. What I want is the other direction. I want PSP2 software on PS3. ^_^ !

I guess playing PSP2 on a big screen is a close substitute. But I'm intrigued by this resume PS3 game only because I wonder about the opposite direction (i.e., resume/port from PSP2). Valkyria Chronicles II here I come !

I have an iPad, so media playback is better there.

Unless you want to output to HDTV and in high resolution. Of course we don't know the reality for PSP2 in that regard either yet, but atleast it should be very cabable.

Ipad 2.0 also interests me.

Unless you want to output to HDTV and in high resolution. Of course we don't know the reality for PSP2 in that regard either yet, but atleast it should be very cabable.

Ipad 2.0 also interests me.

iPad is pretty closed. It's hard to get stuff in/out of the system. I'm thinking of buying iPad 2 also.

I was hoping to hear more about Qriocity for US but it's a Japan event. :(

Meanwhile…

Source: NGP battery life is 4-5 hours:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-source-ngp-battery-life-is-4-5-hours

The recently announced PSP2, codenamed Next Generation Portable, has a battery life of between four and five hours, Eurogamer has been told by a source.

Six to eight hours of life was Sony's original target, Eurogamer understands.

NGP pricing is also yet to be revealed, but Eurogamer was told this morning that Sony will "make a loss".

iPad has longer battery life, which is superb for media playback.

Sony has strong presence on gaming console, gaming handheld, mobile phone and TV market. If they can manage to bring that experience across all platforms, allowing people to just buy one game and use it across all systems under the same ID, that would be terrific.

If they add Steam into the equation (like what they are beginning to do with Portal 2), they would rule the PC space too.

Imagine buying and playing your copy of Portal 2 on NGP, PS3, PC, Android - with cloud saves… Why would I want to use my iPhone or buy games for my 360 anymore? This seems too good to be true though.

As an aside, with the apparent level of detail they're able to pull off with a lowly ARM CPU, it's gotta be a hard sell trying to continue to push the ridiculously power-hungry, alien architecture of the Cell processor as something anyone would want to invest in in the future, as Sony keep insisting was part of their road map for Cell all along.

Oh… PS3 has about 50 mil install base. PSP2 has 0. That is why. They can make a multi-platform game for 360 with similar user base at the same time too.

The PSP2 demoes are running on a small screen. Some of the live bloggers complained about polygons and aliasing. I think the core gamers will still appreciate PS3 and 360 games, Cell or no Cell.

They got rid of the XMB? Jeez, Sony, learn some consistency! One Sony experience across all platforms. Same content, same feel, integrating everything. Whatever is on PSP2 should feature in PS4 and your TVs, if PSP2 is the first of the Next Gen Sony devices.

Oh, and regard specs, it's exactly we some of us were expecting. No special new 4 SPE Cell or whatnot. Defintiely not PS3 power! I said that was impossible. No byte-compatible hardware with PS3 or PS4, although a software solution for PS3/NGP titles builds on Mini's and is a welcome option. The 2009 rumours were spot on! And no UMD. We almost all said there'd be no UMD and why carts were the future (I assume Dd option for every title too). It's nice to see informed logic prevail. ;)

NGP will also be an easy target for iOS ports. If Sony have a very free, but not completely open, platform they can choose to select the best of iOS and not dilute their library with dross and clones.

Glad they have touch screen top and bottom too. As a handheld it's very nice. Have no idea it'll compete with consumer mindshare though, especially if it's priced high which it no doubt will be as Sony always price high. I think iPad and smartphones will generally be more desired, and among gamers 3DS will attract the lion's share of interest, leaving NGP marginalised to PS3 fans who want those games on the move. We'll see.

They got rid of the XMB? Jeez, Sony, learn some consistency! One Sony experience across all platforms. Same content, same feel, integrating everything. Whatever is on PSP2 should feature in PS4 and your TVs, if PSP2 is the first of the Next Gen Sony devices.

They made it touch friendly. The XMB makes sense if you are controlling with a d-pad, not your finger. Kinect Hub is completely different than the regular Xbox dashboard, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back