[PC] Kingdoms of Amalur

I finally stopped playing Skyrim long enough to get this. I am SHOCKED at how much I love it. I'm usually the first person in line to bash these kinds of RPG-lites, but it really hits the Fable-but-better sweet spot. The game, first and foremost, is gorgeous, in that Blizzardy way. The textures aren't impressive, taken separately, but everything fits so well into the scene, and everything looks painted by real artists, not just photoshopped together.

Combat is actually fun. The eight weapon types all behave just enough differently to make you seriously consider which one you want to use. The spells are fairly well-balanced and their gameplay effects can be radically different. Lightning bolt is nothing like poison blade which is nothing like Earthquake which is nothing like Mark of Flame. The character class system is a little weak, but it does allow great flexibility, and few powers or upgrades leave you wondering why on earth would you buy them.

But the really criminally underrated aspect to this game, imo, is the writing. Sure, it's troperrific, but Salvatore really nailed it. The fae are NOT elves, they're old irish style fae, and they're brilliant. The central theme is perhaps the most boring aspect, but the races are really solid, the world is inspiring, and the writing is generally as good as it gets. The voice acting lets the writing down on countless occasions, and is a prime example of why the practice of fully voice acting rpgs is usually ruining them. Important scenes are usually done well enough (with typically weak scripted animation), but the re-use of four main actors for every bit role, and the weak direction on the majority of those lines, kills immersion. Most of the fae shffer most, with their silly phaser voice and weak direction, which makes them all sound identical - and boring.

Still, this is a promising game, with a lot of replay value and a careful system. It would be basically perfect, for an aRPG, if it weren't hopelessly too easy. I play with a modified version of YSA mod (actually a trainer script for Cheat Engine), which makes things perfect. Combat is deadly and every step is worth thinking out. Stacking percentages can still make blacksmithing far too uber, so tread lightly on that regard and the crafting is super fun.

Lastly, that idiot from Oblivion decided that the best fix for levelled enemies was level locks, which means if you're an explorer, like me, you'll lock all enemies to their minimum level, regardless of when you actually go questing there. I highly recommend the forum's level locks .pdf, but you'll do ok if you just limit random exploration to outdoor areas - dungeon delving too early can ruin the game.

Tl;dr - game is much more brilliant than people give it credit for. The art direction goes places dungeon siege and nwn wish they could. The writing is tropey but unusually high standard without resorting to DARRRRK FAAAAANTASYYYYY. ;p and the gameplay is everything fable 3 should have been.

Big shame. It looks like the MMO side of the company (Project Copernicus) brought down everything at Studio 38, including the Big Huge Games guys that were bought to do the single player Kingdoms of Amalur. They only had the go ahead for a PC patch, but even that's unlikely to see the light of day now, unless someone buys the company. The IP will probably go to the State Of Maryland, who lured 38 Studios to the area with a 75 million loan... and then only paid up for 50 million, leaving the company unable to survive through to the release of Copernicus.

Here's what Copernicus would have looked like:

Got to wonder what the taxpayer of Maryland got out of it? 50 million for what?

and even more fun for studio 38 employees.
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...-leads-to-second-mortgages-for-some-employees

288 Rhode Island employed, that's over 173,000 per employee, hope the taxpayers got what they wanted.

Presumably Maryland would have intended to get the loan paid back with interest, and they should have got a thriving business and employees paying taxes on profits from a successful MMO making millions a month just like WoW.

It looks like they had built a pretty and interesting world with Copernicus. Would suck if it all went to waste.

Schilling speaks out:

If 38 Studios fails, Rhode Island taxpayers will be liable to repay more than $100 million. Also, Schilling says, he stands to lose $50 million of the fortune he earned as a likely Hall of Fame baseball pitcher and committed to the venture — “everything I have.”
In exclusive interviews with The Providence Journal over Memorial Day weekend as he struggled to save his
Blames state for problems company, Schilling broke his silence, defending his beleaguered company and denying that he sought a government “bailout.”
Schilling, the founder and chairman, says state economic-development officials reneged on a deal to approve film tax credits to which 38 Studios is legally entitled, and to allow the company to defer a $1.12-million payment due to the state on May1so that 38 Studios could meet its May 15 payroll.
Schilling also criticized Chafee’s “devastating” public remarks about 38 Studios’ financial health, which he says scared off private investors.
Within 72 hours of Chafee’s May 14 statement that the state was trying to keep 38 Studios “solvent,” Schilling says, a video-game publisher pulled out of a $35-million deal to finance a sequel to “Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning,” the fantasy game that 38 Studios released in February.

The company missed the May1payment. As a result, on May 4, the EDC issued a notice that 38 Studios had defaulted on its state loan agreement, making the company ineligible for the film-tax credits that it needed to stay afloat.
Schilling says the company was blindsided by the notice. Under terms of 38 Studio’s original agreement with the state, he says, the company should have had 30 days to address the missed payment before being declared in default.
That touched off frantic negotiations among 38 Studios, the EDC and Chafee. By the end of the following week, the word had begun leaking to reporters. Then, on Monday, May 14, Chafee said publicly that the state was working with 38 Studios to keep the company “solvent.”
In the ensuing days, as the 38 Studios story went viral, Chafee made other public remarks that Schilling calls damaging.
The governor said the Reckoning game released in February had been an “abject failure.” He also revealed the projected release date of Project Copernicus, June 2013, and 38 Studios’ “burn rate” ––that it was spending $4 million a month, the lion’s share on payroll.
The release date of a game is “the most costly piece of information we own,” says Schilling. And the burn rate is a closely guarded industry secret. “Those two nuggets were given out as if, ‘Here’s the weather and here’s the time.’
“We made it clear in EDC meetings how damaging it was, what was happening to our company. [My workers] are sitting there, busting their [humps] without a paycheck, we’re grinding through this, and then he’s press-conferencing on a daily basis, saying this company is a failure, our games are a failure, this was a mistake –– over and over and over again.
“Our partner.”
On Saturday, May12, Schilling says, 38 Studios learned that the president of a video-game publishing company had approved a $35-million deal to publish the sequel to Reckoning, and was going to his company’s executive committee that week for the money. But Chafee’s comments killed the deal, Schilling says.
The company also says Chafee’s public comments derailed discussions that 38 Studios says it was having with another publisher for a $55-million deal on Project Copernicus, as well as a venture capitalist about additional financing.

From Falkon:

I'm really sorry you guys have been having issues with bugs and waiting patiently for patches to come etc. I wanted to clarify some things since I've been following this closing down issue for about a month now, and I have friends who work inside the studio who have lost their jobs. First of all I don't know why Curt is not talking or has not made a statement yet about anything publicly yet, but I'm sure when he can he will.

While I don't have all the answers I'd like to try and clarify some really bad rumors going around the internet. First of all, Rhode Island never gave 38S $75M of tax payer money. The 75M was from a private investor and Rhode Island basically co signed the loan. No money from Rhode Island has been touched. To date 38S has received about 50M of the 75M promised to them for moving to RI. The money was a gift to them, Curt didn't do anything wrong by taking it. I don't know a single person who's trying to start a business and if someone said here's some money come move here and set up shop who wouldn't do it. The 25M left is still in holding and would cover the costs 38 needed to pay through 2014. Curt also put in all his money up front for the first 2 years and when he bought BHG. EA also gave him some money to help produce Reckoning. I don't know the total amount, but the rumor is 50M

From my friends who worked inside, some told me the reason they missed the payment was 38S & BHG have not yet received any money from the sales of Reckoning from EA or Steam. Also they were promised $8M from the government for film tax credits when they paid the 1M fee. They never received a penny. Not a single person I know of who worked there blamed Curt or the management. Everyone loved their jobs, and they are angry at the Governor who basically screwed them all over by disclosing confidential information and scarred off investors. They only were seeking a small assistance to cover the needed funds to cover the studio until the royalty fees came in and their new investors payments would start in about 1-2 months. The state of RI totally cut them off with 0 help even though the governor said he wanted to help them. in addition he blatantly lied about certain things about the game such as it needed a minimum of 3M units to sell to break even. My sources say that's a fat lie and it wasn't even close to that #.

Ian already spoke about the Patch for Reckoning on his goodbye post so I won't rehash that. The MMO was pretty far into development. It was fully playable, but unfinished. The fly through video was pretty old, but the team internally wanted to put something out and begged management to release something for fans, and that video was something that was just laying around they could put up quickly.

There is still hope and a small window of time the game can be saved and most of the team could come back. Curt is being Black Balled as it's sometimes called, and I don't know exactly why, but I suspect this franchise gets sold to SOE for dirt cheap in another month, or possibly EA. This whole thing was about greedy people seeing something great and wanting it for themselves. There's no reason a game that sold 1.2M units in 90 days should not have the funds to pay it's employees. There was still some $50M in promised funds awaiting them, it just hadn't come yet. I think that was on purpose. I think that about sums up what I wanted to say. I hope you guys will learn one thing from all this, whether it's related to this company or the media in general. They lie, there are political leaders and agency's out there who have an agenda and they will do whatever they can to smear someone's reputation, no matter how good a person they are, or the history of things they have done. Anyone who knew Curt Schilling and has seen how much he and his family have given to their community's helped in hospitals, and listening to the 400 people who worked for him all will tell you he was one of the greatest people they knew. Many of those people still stayed and worked for free the last few weeks after they were unable to receive their paycheck because they loved their job, and they respected him.

Moving forward what can we expect. Well the game and intellectual property will go to the state of RI if Curt is unable to find private investors in the next few weeks. The worst case scenario out of this is Reckoning gets sold as assets to another company, if there is any money left over after paying the remaining balance that RI needs to pay it will go back to 38 Studios. Another company could come in and purchase the license and finish making the game and it could be put out by SOE or something like that. The best case would be the needed funding comes in soon and Curt can reassemble most of the team and they get to finish the MMO and other project they were working on. They were literally like 2 weeks ago from closing on 2 new publishers for the game when they were let go. (Thanks Governor D bag.)

Hope that clears some confusion up. I'm not sure how much more I'll be coming on here. I'm moving myself in a week or two and won't have internet so I just wanted to leave that for anyone else who may come upon this before the site gets closed down. I pray the next time I come back it'll be under much happier circumstances. Final words of Wisdom from Will Smith in the Pursuit of Happiness: Don't ever let somebody tell you... You can't do something. Not even me. All right?
You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period.

It's a big shame. Schilling obviously had dreams and ambitions beyond his ability to execute, but he had a big pile of money to try.

When you look at the Copernicus trailer further up the thread, 38 Studios was pretty close. Copernicus could have been the setting for multiplayer version of Amalur:Reckoning... Reckoning was a lot of fun, lot of side missions, stories and different areas to explore, and Copernicus could have made it bigger, better, and with your friends.

The release date of a game is “the most costly piece of information we own,” says Schilling.

Well he couldn't of owned much then ;)

Back