Dishonored

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
That whole steampunk/victorianna setting would make a good change. There seems to be some time stopping powers going on in that trailer too.

The protagonist is described as a "supernatural assassin", which in my mind could go one of two ways: interesting, if executed correctly, or skating on the brink of lame. I can't really tell from the video, seeing as it happened pretty fast, but he appears to redirect bullets. It's being described as an "open world, gruesome, stealth FPS", and I'm all about open world games. The art direction looks really nice, and I'm a sucker for unique art direction in games (which I'm sure everyone knows at this point :p) Anyway, the way the game is being portrayed sounds pretty enticing. It sounds like a mix between Assassin's Creed and Half Life 2 in a Steampunk setting.

I hope this game doesn't suffer from the same focus testing treatment as Bioshock and end up with shitty mechanics but great presentation/atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trailer starts off too slow. When Bethy manages to bore me inside of 30 seconds with their arty-farty, pretentious directorial nonsense then something's wrong. Once it gets going things get a bit better.

Can't say what I see tugs on any of my strings quite the way Skyrim did. It doesn't look like anything that hasn't been done lots of times before in computer games. A protagonist that starts off in jail, shit, they've done that themselves six times already... :LOL:

Can't say what I see tugs on any of my strings quite the way Skyrim did. It doesn't look like anything that hasn't been done lots of times before in computer games. A protagonist that starts off in jail, shit, they've done that themselves six times already... :LOL:

Like Skyrim is "original"...

ES games, like MMOs, have a lot of bloat that adds nothing to the game, i.e useless complexity, mechanics that aren't properly balanced/coordinated.

Goldeneye had good stealth gameplay in the early missions; you could evade certain enemies if you wanted or you could just gun most/everyone down if you wanted... I don't recall if you actually failed any misisons if you were detected though, it was so damn long ago since I played that game.

I feel that's the best way to do stealth; optional, rather than forced upon the player. It was super irritating playing through the Village map of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, having to save every 10 steps in case some damn enemy spotted your heel sticking out from behind a corner or something and raised the alarm.

Too bad all the stealth gameplay went out the window in Goldeneye later on in the game. It's like the devs ran out of time or something and instead just made roughly half the game into a standard first-person shooter.

Promising but only a gameplay trailer can sell me on it. I also see a lot of gameplay features that can get axed quite quickly when it's time to ship. I'm not a fan of steampunk in general but I liked what I saw (maybe because they didn't go literal on the STEAMpunk). Anyway, Deus Ex meets Assassin's Creed would be mighty fine.

18-minute Gamespot walkthrough

http://dishonored.tumblr.com/
@deadendthrills: Bethesda hired me to screengrab Dishonored a while ago. It's started posting the results here: http://t.co/veYPS173

@deadendthrills: They wanted to show off the game based strictly on alpha code. Those are 100 per cent realtime on PC.

Art style looks delicious. Hopefully, the mechanics won't dissapoint. Too bad Bethesda is sending it to die by planning to release it in the same time frame as Borderlands 2, Ass. Creed 3, RE6, CoD: Blops 2, Halo 4, Wii U... And they have a hard time selling well anything that isn't a Bethesda Game Studios project this gen.

This and CDP's Cyberpunk announcement cleaned up the bad taste of the majority of stuff shown at E3.

This looks promising and is now definitely on my radar. I've been curious about what Arkane has been up to.

The movement reminds me of their prior games and that is excellent. Dark Messiah has the best melee combat of any first person game and this appears similar. It could use more FoV though.

I'm looking forward to this after the developers recently posted their commitment to PC controls and sensibilities (FOV options, control mappings and comprehensive graphic settings), stating that the PC gaming conventions are like a religion to them and to us, the hardcore PC gamer...

Finding a dev that embraces those sensibilities is rather rare in this increasingly console focussed industry nowadays...

Back