Official GT5 discussion thread

I think so too. Kazunori tweeted about it (same link above).

UPDATE: Kazunori Yamauchi has now also commented about the T500 RS, via Google Translator: “T500RS has great potential.I can not wait to launch the device.” (thanks, matteo!).

More Kaz stuff:

- Update in early December to add configurable mechanical damage.
- Update in late December to add export save feature.
- Update for Credits and XP in online races to be done later.
- Youtube uploading not done do to memory problems. Still being considered.
- They want to improve the shadows
- No HUD option being added in the future. He seems to be promising it.

yay! at no grinding for F1 cars!

More Kaz stuff:

- Update in early December to add configurable mechanical damage.
- Update in late December to add export save feature.
- Update for Credits and XP in online races to be done later.
- Youtube uploading not done do to memory problems. Still being considered.
- They want to improve the shadows
- No HUD option being added in the future. He seems to be promising it.

yay! at no grinding for F1 cars!

I'm pretty sure that the export save feature will still be tied to PSN accounts or something. I don't think they'll allow folks to simply copy save files over.

I honestly couldn't care less about the shadows, or minor tweaks to improve the already good frame rate (almost always above 55+). I just want YouTube uploading. That is the single biggest features, for me, that was missing on launch day :(

There is a separate DVR SPU process (PlayTV/Tourne) running in parallel with all games. On paper, if they can pipe data to the process, then it may be able to write out the frame to disk. But a large part of me thinks that PD should address gameplay issues first.

Let's see what they are going to deliver in December (GT5 Anywhere, matchmaking, leader board, mechanical damage, backup save files, framerate improvements, and other fixes). I am wary the 2 Dec patches may cause more bugs. ^_^

EDIT:
Argh… SambaBus Challenge. I suck. :LOL:

I'm not sure, but did they already do something to the shadows in the last update :???:
I remember they were much mch blockier when I first fired up the game on launch day, now they don't bother me much at all.
I might remember wrong, but I think the shadows lacked anti-aliasing almost completely, whereas now they do have some kind of AA.

Edit: What does that "no HUD option" mean? Why would you want to race without speed dials etc.?

rabidrabbit said:
Edit: What does that "no HUD option" mean? Why would you want to race without speed dials etc.?

Well, no hud is really nice. If it's a really hard race then there's no time to glance at dials and you learn to shift by sound alone. No hud means better visibility. But of course, that's also cheating. Real men only use cockpit view.,

Tbh I find cockpit view kinda unrealistic, its like looking at a window through a window. Realistically speaking the place where you are seated should serve as the cockpit and your screen/monitor should act as the windshield of the car...but in cockpit view you get a laid back view through the driver's eye and then you have to keep in mind that there's a distance between you and the screen as well. And its funny when you use a wheel cause you get an additional steering wheel onscreen :p

This is why I prefer the bonnet/hood view).

Tbh I find cockpit view kinda unrealistic, its like looking at a window through a window. Realistically speaking the place where you are seated should serve as the cockpit and your screen/monitor should act as the windshield of the car...but in cockpit view you get a laid back view through the driver's eye and then you have to keep in mind that there's a distance between you and the screen as well. And its funny when you use a wheel cause you get an additional steering wheel onscreen :p

This is why I prefer the bonnet/hood view).

Did you play around with the narrow/view settings?

Good God I hope they fix the shadows. Or give us an option to disable them.

I golded the Sambabus and Lotus Elise challenges on the Top Gear Test Track. It took way too much time and was not worth it, but it always becomes personal after ~ the 40th try.

Is there a way to improve the framerate by, say, limiting the participating cars to 8? I just played at a demo store this morning - on Arcade (Professional mode) with the McLaren Mp4-12C on that stage with the long bridge/tunnel during night/rain from the cockpit view. Looks nice, ran smooth even with most cars on screen. Handling seemed okay given I was playing with a controller.

Only strange thing: How do you shift up and down on the controller using default settings? I first had it set to manual, but couldn't figure out how to shift gears. Surely it can't be that difficult given there are only 12 buttons, a d-pad and two joysticks on the controller...

It also took some time to figure out to press select to change the racing view... :)

When I played with a gamepad, I would make my own config. I like the bumpers/triggers as gas/brake and L1/R1 for shifting up and down. Using the triggers for gas/brake is much better than X IMO because you can actually throttle them. Takes some getting used to, but it's worth it.

In GT3 I became pretty adept at analogue control of the accelerator with thumb. I also curved my index finger over the top of the controller to use the triangle button without having to shift thumb off the X. Not what most would consider an intuitive control scheme!

In GT3 I became pretty adept at analogue control of the accelerator with thumb. I also curved my index finger over the top of the controller to use the triangle button without having to shift thumb off the X. Not what most would consider an intuitive control scheme!

True, but some of the best players I know (and this is world-class level) used this scheme, where they would control both square and cross with their thumb. I think this was the most favored control scheme for GT (and also its default setting) for a very long time. So you're not alone! I personally prefer the right analog stick as they have it by default now, but the downside of that is that in some cases you sort of need an additional button for braking, because you can't brake and accellerate at the same time if you have them both on the analog stick. I can find my way around with this setup decently enough though, when I'm not driving with the wheel that is, which is my control method of choice for GT 98% of the time.

Default gear-shifting settings are on L2 and R2. To be honest, that's a bad choice - they should have picked L1 and R1 for this by default.

Being used to Forza, I use the triggger for gas/brake. (360 controls) A for upshift and X for downshifts. I wish the triggers had longer travel.

I'll test more tonight but playing last night, I noticed that downshifting to a gear you shouldn't does not seem to lock up the rear end at all.

edit: forgot the add the important part "not"

Confirmed after playing a fair bit last night. Needs to be corrected.

Good God I hope they fix the shadows. Or give us an option to disable them.

I golded the Sambabus and Lotus Elise challenges on the Top Gear Test Track. It took way too much time and was not worth it, but it always becomes personal after ~ the 40th try.

Good lord, if the mission was to eliminate all SambaBuses, I would have Gold it. Kept getting disqualified because I crash into them. I lack finese. -_-

The second Jeff Gordon drafting test is hard to Gold too.

Phil, I believe L2/R2 shifts the gear down/up.

EDIT: I googled for SambaBus tips and gameplay video but couldn't find a good one.

Here's how I golded the Lotus test before I got my steering wheel, I had to turn the assists on of course or the car would go sideways under braking. I'll try sometime with my wheel and assists off. Please note the impeccable recording quality and technology in the video, it took 5 years to develop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_1ummDOz2I

The 2nd Jeff Gordon challenge is quite hard, I mean its hard cause the cars move so fast that even a slight loss in control means you won't be able to overtake the first car & I always loose some speed while overtaking the first two cars (the red car is stupid, always tries to bump & slow me down).

Weird. I got the drafting Gold's with controller quite easily. The only 2 I can't gold are the Indy ones where I need to hold the high line and low line. Close though....

Back