Official GT5 discussion thread

Not yet. I want to wrap up my work first !

The wheel will sit in my office, probably clamped to the desk since my PS3 display is on the desktop.

Why would you want to buy 2 wheels ?

I'm guessing he's planning on upgrading. Fanatec make some pretty good wheels as well. I'll probably just use my DFGT until it stops working for whatever reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a Fanatec you'll be on a waiting list I think ...

I can't get the Fanatec wheel in India (since they don't ship it here) that's why going for DFGT, but in January I'll be back in Liverpool so before leaving India I'll be selling the DFGT and will get a new wheel when I get there.

I'll test more tonight but playing last night, I noticed that downshifting to a gear you shouldn't does not seem to lock up the rear end at all.

edit: forgot the add the important part "not"

Last edited by a moderator:
Visual damage is already in the game. I saw a level 40 driver rammed into something and his hatch popped up as the rear lifted a little due to the momentum.

I think KZ mentioned earlier that mechanical damage will come in a patch, but he also said that damage can be enabled instead of waiting for level 20. It's the last statement that needs clarification since I don't know which damage system he's referring to.

Found it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24679483&postcount=1508

Indeed. In Yamauchi's latest twitter session it was made pretty clear that there are 3 levels of visual damage in GT5 and no mechanical damage yet.

L1 - Standard Damage (scratches/deformation, standard models)
L2 - Premium Damage (dislocation, premium models)
L3 - Premium Race Model Damage (detachment, Nascar/Rally/RM models)

Unless someone has a better translation of the twitter answers, this seems to be the final word on damage.

L3 should have flipping too ?

His tweets are also documented here:
http://www.gtplanet.net/yamauchi-on-gt5s-mechanical-damage-updates-more/

Flexible camera angles and “dynamic and wide-area lighting needs” are to blame for the sometimes blocky shadows. Yamauchi admits they are a problem and wants to improve them.

Yamauchi appears to consider the possibility of removing the in-game HUD (heads-up-display features) at some point in the future.

To unlock the Red Bull X1, you’ll need to complete the “Sebastian Vettel Challenge”, which appears at Level 30.

Online “lounge” functionality and other features will be added “one by one”.

Polyphony Digital continues to work on fully supporting the Logitech G25 and G27, though Yamauchi admits he would like a “new steering device soon”…

Mechanical damage options will be implemented in a new update for GT5 coming “early December”.

As you may know, many players noticed that GT5’s face-tracking functionality only worked in Arcade mode. According to Yamauchi, it’s not available in GT mode due to memory issues with the PS3.

In-game rewards (such as the monetary prize in GT5 Prologue) for your performance in online events is something Polyphony Digital is considering, and may be implemented in a future update.

Gran Turismo 5’s official, 2-disc sound-track will be released soon.

Yamauchi wanted to implement a “free roam” gameplay mode in GT5, where players could drive around, respecting speed limits and obeying traffic laws, and even exit the car to walk around and explore the environment on foot.

The YouTube replay upload feature had to be pulled from the final version of the game because it took a very long time to render and it consumed too much memory. Yamauchi is still considering it, however.

Yeah, I saw that in the GAF thread. In the thread, you can find flying cars and funny rolls/flips in other racing games too.

Someone mentioned that patch 1.02 addressed floating kart issues. It looks like they have some more bug fixes to address. Surprised that the manufacturers allow them to show car flips.

I wonder how mechanical damage + visual damage would work together. I hope it won't take a big chunk out of my GT5 $$$ to repair. Someone in GAF mentioned that the manufacturers want the cars to continue to work no matter what happens (in damage). Juggling between difficulty, manufacturers' requests, and realism may be an impossible feat. If these are the terms, I'd rather they do it for official racing events only (i.e., Level 3 damage).

Finally 2 of my favourite cars showed up in the used car dealership. The GTO twin turbo '96 and Jaguar XKR R performance. Now is just need to buy another twin turbo to get the paint colour I want.

I wish the opponents would scale in relation to your car's performance in GT mode. I'm looking for a good challenge only to find I'm winning simply because I have a better car, even when I compared it to what my most likely opponents would be before the race started.

I can't get the Fanatec wheel in India (since they don't ship it here) that's why going for DFGT, but in January I'll be back in Liverpool so before leaving India I'll be selling the DFGT and will get a new wheel when I get there.

Lookie, lookie what I found:
http://www.gtplanet.net/thrustmaster-t500rs-the-new-official-gt5-steering-wheel/

A very interesting little revelation slipped out in the Gran Turismo 5 v1.02 update – a brand new steering wheel, the Thrustmaster T500 RS, popped up in the game’s settings, as noted by TomN here in our forums. Today, Tom also discovered this teaser animation on Thrustmaster’s website, revealing the T500 RS’ new logo alongside official GT5 branding.

How much did you have to pay to refurnish them ?

I didn't. Doing an engine overhaul and restoring body rigidity costs about the same buying the car used. Which is around 30.000 for the twin turbo, and 100.000 for the Jaguar. Buying a similar premium car would probably be cheaper then buying used and refurbishing. And they don't seem have suffered that much for being used cars.

I think the flipping may not be realistic. I wonder if they are required to land the car on its feet every time (due to gameplay or manufacturer demand).
You car always lands properly in Forza 3, no matter what it'll always land on its wheel....when it doesn't it probably means that something like this is happening.

I donno about how roll overs in GT5 works as per whether or not they disqualify you/end race if your car flips over and lands upside down.

Woah ! that's one big ass paddle shifter, anyways lets see how it turns up.
Its probably a replacement for the DFGT in which case it'll still remain below the high end wheels like G27 & Fanatech wheel.

Back