hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
51217903_3e9ef7116c.jpg

51217819_c38b30488e.jpg

http://www.majornelson.com/

Media Day
Posted: October 11, 2005 @ 1:52 am (1 day, 9 hours ago) By: Major Nelson

Great media day Tuesday here in New York. A lot of members of the press were coming though and getting some serious Xbox 360 time. We had many sessions today, but here is the basic breakdown of how the day went: We started journalists out with an hour of introduction. It was a sort of “Xbox 360 Boot Camp.†Each journalist got set up with their own Xbox 360 work area for the first hour where Scott Henson (the Director of our Advanced Technology Group) walked the ‘class’ through Xbox 360 basics. They played Kameo, spent time learning their way around the Xbox 360 Dashboard (as well as how to customize it) and how to set up a custom game sound track. They played some PGR3 and then we let them loose on the games! They left the ‘classroom’ and wandered into the ‘play room’ (as I call it) where they got to play the following games for as long as they wanted to:

Call of Duty 2
Condemned: Criminal Origins
DOA4
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Kameo: Elements of Power
NBA 2K6
NBA LIVE 06
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson’s King Kong
Project Gotham Racing 3
Xbox Live Arcade

Two of the journalists that I spent a significant amount of time with were Steve from Gamingsteve.com and Peter Rojas from Engadget.com. Steve and I didn’t get a chance to play any games together (although Steve pretty much played everything) but Peter and I went head to head in DOA4. Apparently my jet lag started to affect me…since Peter pwned me. Not once, but THREE times. He had the DOA combo moves down cold. In one scene (a temple) Peter kept kicking me down the stairs while the temple monkeys watched and applauded my inability to coherently defend myself. Uggh. Tomorrow both Peter and Steve are coming back to play more games…so I’ll be able to get some gaming time in with Steve….and property defend my honor with Mr. Rojos and his roving pack of virtual simians.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gamingsteve.com

My Day With The Xbox 360

xboxevent.jpgSo here I was, just playing some new games when I was unexpectingly invited to a private Xbox 360 preview event right here in New York City. So I hopped on the subway, showed up to Xbox-themed loft, and played lots of Xbox 360 games for several hours (yeah, I know, I suck).

Before I get "into it" I have to say that I've been to a fair number of these things over the years but this one was by far one of the best. The space was small, quiet, comfortable, and I got tons of quality time playing Xbox 360 games.

The event started out with an hour demo of Kameo: Elements of Power (looked fantastic), Project Gotham Racing 3 (pretty good), and the Xbox Live Dashboard (beyond words cool) and then we were able to play games for a couple of hours. I have to say, I was a bit concerned about the Xbox 360 launch lineup, but after today I am starting to think that the PS3 might be in some serious trouble. I was extremely impressed with what I saw and a couple of the launch titles look downright legendary.

I will do a detailed podcast about my experiences at the event later in the week but here is a quick rundown of my thoughts:

"The Hardware": The Xbox 360 controller is "like butter" and handles better than the PS2 controller (yes, even I was surprised by that one). The system design itself is "iPod Nano slick", compact, and the little "trap doors" which protect the various plug-in elements (like the memory unit and controller slots) are a nice touch.

Xbox Live Dashboard: I have to admit I was quite skeptical about how well the Xbox Live features would integrate into the overall gameplaying experience. But after playing with the Dashboard firsthand I have to say that it is seamlessly integrated with the overall experience and Xbox Live will definitely enhance the overall gaming experience, even with games which have no multiplayer options (more on this in the podcast). Really impressive stuff.

Kameo: Elements of Power: Considering that this game was supposed to be a launch title for the GameCube, and then was supposed to come out for the Xbox, and then was "retooled" as a launch title for the Xbox 360, I had a lot concerns about this game. But after playing it I have to say that the graphics are most definitely "next gen", the gameplay was lots of fun, and the music fantastic. I think Kameo will herald in the triumphant return of great Rare games.

Perfect Dark Zero: I played two levels of this game and while it was definitely fun I am going to hold judgment. There were a lot of cool innovations in the game (the safecracking "locktopus" being the coolest), and the weapon variety quite nice, but the gameplay seemed pretty standard.

Call of Duty 2: Played a lot like the first Call of Duty but with refined controls and updated gameplay. If you liked the first one I'm sure you'll like this one.

Condemned: Criminal Origins: Of all the games I played today this one surprised me the most and I felt the "winner" of the show. Created by Monolith, the game is a bit hard to explain as it does of lot of things I have never seen before. It plays like Resident Evil crossed with an FPS crossed with an psychological thriller. The game looks amazing (when I was watching someone play the game I thought I was watching a movie) and pulls you into the story within the first five seconds. Expect this to be a huge surprise hit.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: For those of you who can't wait to get this game (you know who you are) make sure to pre-order your Xbox 360 now. Look forward to another 250+ hours of "Elder Scrolls gameplay" but with next gen graphics.

For pictures of the event make sure to check out Xbox Live's Major Nelson blog and photo album. On a side note I have to say meeting Major Nelson for the first time was great. Not only is he "the nicest guy ever" but he and I got a chance to talk "podcast shop". Very cool.

My Second Day with the Xbox 360

Xbox 360After spending one day with the Xbox 360 I went back to the New York press event and played the few games that I missed. Here are my thoughts on those and make sure to check out the site tomorrow when I do a final recap of the event, post some pictures, and talk about the Xbox 360 multiplayer experience:

Xbox Live Arcade: I spent quite a bit of time playing Live Arcade since I knew almost nothing about it before the event and ended up quite impressed. Think Shockwave.com but with more "mature" games and lower prices (each game is priced separately with most being under $10 each). All of the games from Live Arcade are downloaded onto your Xbox and they have wide variety of game categories. After you download a game you can try it our for free and if you like what you see you can purchase the game for a small fee. The games I saw were more twitch-based than puzzle-based (which I think is a "good thing"), they played great with the console controller, looked amazing in HD. You might not buy the Xbox 360 to play Xbox Live Arcade but I think people will be amazed at the selection and quality of these smaller titles.

Dead or Alive 4: If you played DOA1, or DOA2, or DOA3 know the drill. It looks amazing and it plays just fine. If you liked DOA3 (or 2 or 1) you'll like DOA4.

Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The demo only featured two levels, which I believe are the exact same levels you can play on the currently released PC demo. The gameplay was a bit rough, but the graphics looked great. Plus, it's being made by Michel Ancel and the same team behind Rayman and Beyond Good & Evil (a fantastic game that nobody played). Expect potentially great things.

Project Gotham Racing 3: I didn't get to spend a huge amount of time with this one, but the plethora of options should appease any hardcore racing fan. One nice touch was crowd reactions, smash your car into the guardrail and watch the people scatter. I heard there were "famous New Yorkers" in the crowds, but they're a bit hard to see when you're flying by at 140 MPH.

NBA 2K6 & NBA LIVE 06: Wow, I mean, wow. The graphics were jaw-droppingly realistic. Shame they didn't have NHL 2K6 there as that is one of the only sports genres I still actively play.

Finally, I got a sweet little "keepsake" from the event -- my very own Xbox 360 Memory Card (of which I'll show you all tomorrow) and they even preloaded a few games on it for me. Of course, now I need an Xbox 360 to play those games...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some dude that posted this on IGN boards

Game of Event:

Drumroll please. My personal favorite (and I fully expected this) was Kameo. All I have to say is Breathtakingly gorgeous. Undeniably next gen. If you saw the X05 video, I actually got to sit down and play with the guy who was behind the controller of the video. He’s a super cool guy, and showed me tons of gorgeous areas in the game. The controls are fast, fluid and responsive, and did I mention gorgeous? I walked right up to walls and the detail holds out. The brick work is amazing, cloth physics are sick, flying over grass and watching the grass react to the wind from my wings… WOW. Did you guys know that it has a co-op mode? Yep! Split screen coop! Water unlike water I’ve ever seen in any game to date. Definitely worthy a purchase in my opinion.

Surprise of Event:

Xbox Live Arcade. Guys, they redid arcade, and OMG. It is going to rock the world. I am serious. They’ve got tons of indy developers submitting games to be released on arcade, and these titles are actually good! We’re talking old school gaming, with new school graphics. I played some of these for HOURS. And NOW it will actually catch on. Anyone with an internet connection can download trial versions of the games, and then purchase with credit card, or with a gamercard that is purchased from a store. Games will be cheaper than they are currently, and apparently they’ve got a section dedicated to emulated coin-op arcade games. Several of the big arcade machine companies have started submitting titles to be released. I honestly, and I really mean this, don’t know how Nintendo’s online plan can compete. Nintendo will be re-releasing their old titles for play, but Xbox live arcade will have old emulated titles AND new titles being released all the time. You wanted innovation? It’s here guys. Here is where people will get to experiment with new ideas, with new gameplay, and submit their work to MS, and have it published through XBL Arcade. Microsoft did it right this time. In addition to anyone being able to purchase and play XBL arcade titles, you can bring the games with you anywhere on a memcard. Yes, you can copy a purchased game onto a memory card and bring it with you and play.

3060000000048730.JPG

Ok, technically I was just one of many journalists at yesterday’s press preview event, but I did get a chance to spend a couple of hours with the Xbox 360. I wasn’t exactly blown away with every title I saw, but overall I walked away impressed. We’ll have a full review of the 360 once we get the review unit they’ve promised us, but for now a few quick initial impressions:

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/3060000000048727.JPG

* The event started off with a lengthy tutorial to show off the ins and outs of the console, particularly Xbox Live and its media capabilities. The integration with Xbox Live is excellent and permeates the entire experience — unlike with the original Xbox, it’s hard to imagine using the console without a broadband connection.
* They also had iPod nanos on hand to demo the 360’s ability to play audio stored on a portable audio device (it can actually play MP3s or WMAs stored on any USB mass storage device), and how you could listen to whatever music you liked during gameplay.
* The controller itself felt good in the hand and that button in the middle brings you straight to Xbox Live. You can jump instantly in and out of Xbox Live from any game without messing things if you want to check your messages.

3060000000048728.JPG

# The graphics and textures of Condemned were amazing, and Need For Speed Most Wanted was one of the most photorealistic games I’ve ever seen. Project Gotham Racing 3 was pretty sweet, too, the level of detail in each city was mind-blowing.
# Somehow managed to repeatedly kick Major Nelson’s ass at Dead or Alive 4 (the game’s graphics were a bit too glossy for my taste).
# Couldn’t get past practice mode in NBA Live 06 because of a bug in the build (we were playing on dev units), but it seems like they’ve manage[/img]d to eliminate much of the herky-jerkiness in previous generation basketball games.
# Kameo was a bit disappointing (supposedly it gets better once you’re in deep). Call For Duty 2 was engrossing, but like Dead or Alive 4, it also seemed like it could use a bit more texture.
# The Xbox 360 doubles as Windows Media Center Extender and the demo I saw ran flawlessly, it was as if a copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition was running natively. They showed the Xbox streaming high def video off of a PC and it was perfect.
# They also showed off Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Perfect Dark Zero, and King Kong, all of which I wouldn’t mind spending more time with.

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/3060000000048729.JPG

Yeah, so the PS3 will probably have the edge over the Xbox 360 in graphics and sheer computational power, but after actually playing some of these games it’s hard to imagine all but the most diehard Sony fanboiys holding out for the 5 - 7 months that’ll pass before Sony introduces their console. And at the end of the day that’s what Microsoft is after — to grab as much of the market before Sony enters the scene. Hate to say it, but as of November 22nd the Xbox 360 is going to be only game in tow

hey69 said:
Hate to say it, but as of November 22nd the Xbox 360 is going to be only game in tow
Refreshing, a journalist being open about his own personal feelings and preferences.

Really surprised by some comments. e.g. Condemned seem to resonate with some fans a LOT. Others thought NFS:MW was photorealistic.

Just goes to show a LOT of gamers have different tastes and prefer different things in a game. Kind of cool to see how hard core gamers and casual gamers differ on things. Kind of inline with Q4 being the #1 reserved game, yet a lot of people will also hate it. CoD2 seems to be a title most people are excited about but a few above seemed uninterested.

It will be interesting to see final sales numbers. Anyhow, this is a good reason to have a lot of titles at launch--make a lot of different gamers happy.

Yeah, so the PS3 will probably have the edge over the Xbox 360 in graphics and sheer computational power, but after actually playing some of these games it’s hard to imagine all but the most diehard Sony fanboiys holding out for the 5 - 7 months that’ll pass before Sony introduces their console.

Ok two things.

1. So you are concending that the PS3 will be the stronger of the two?

2. The most diehard Sony fanboi holding out?

Why does someone have to be a super duper diehard? There are plenty and I mean plenty of games to hold me and millions of people over until the PS3 comes out. You don't have to be a diehard. And it's only 5-7 months. More than 5-7 great games will come out by then, so that's at least one per month. Good ratio if you ask me.

mckmas8808 said:
Ok two things.

Why does someone have to be a super duper diehard? There are plenty and I mean plenty of games to hold me and millions of people over until the PS3 comes out. You don't have to be a diehard. And it's only 5-7 months. More than 5-7 great games will come out by then, so that's at least one per month. Good ratio if you ask me.

You do realize these are excerpts from various journalists right? THe OP is not making these claims.

mckmas8808 said:
Can we not just ignore those comments in the article?

First, how can a journalist make any "official" statement when said journalist has not even played a PS3 game :LOL: As anyone who spent time in journalism class (me raises hand) that is not a typical "objective reporting" -- but *Game* reporters are not your real journalist to begin with!

Anyhow I see no reason why one comment like that has to break down this whole thread. A LOT of comments about the games--no point argueing system power and "PS3 games look better according to Robby Reporter" when Robby Reporter has yet to play a PS3 game.

That is as bad as comparing Armored Core titles in development. So lets not go there! Lets just focus on the game comments... I will start:

They sure did seem to like Condemned...

The impression I am getting so far with the next gen consoles is that while the graphics are better the gameplay will in essence be the same as last gen. Is it simply because these are the first gen games or was I just expecting too much from these next gen consoles? Do you people believe that we will in fact see more innovation in terms of gameplay in the next generation?

mckmas8808 said:

Why does someone have to be a super duper diehard? There are plenty and I mean plenty of games to hold me and millions of people over until the PS3 comes out.
I'm sure there's plenty of people on this board that'll rate you as a super duper diehard Sony fanboi! :p

Sounds like Kameo is being very well received. It looks like it should be a really nice game if it's as fun as the various zelda/mario games. Almost would be worth getting for my wife as she loves those.

I'll be picking Oblivion up for the PC so I'm really neither here nor there as far as that goes. The other stuff is mostly meh for me until Halo3 or Fable 2.

Nite_Hawk

It sounds like they've done a good job putting out a more polished design this time. The original Xbox always struck me as a bit rough and clunky. The chunky black plastic never really did it for me. Of course, the clunky part was more due to my cracking it open and modding it and remodding it and fixing the DVD drive and losing the screws and botching a solder job........

The arcade stuff sounds pretty cool too. I bet my wife will enjoy some of that.

Acert93 said:
Anyhow I see no reason why one comment like that has to break down this whole thread. A LOT of comments about the games--no point argueing system power and "PS3 games look better according to Robby Reporter" when Robby Reporter has yet to play a PS3 game.

I never intended to say that the article is rubbish. Just pointing that out.

Shifty said:
I'm sure there's plenty of people on this board that'll rate you as a super duper diehard Sony fanboi!

Too bad they ALL would be wrong. Wrong as hell. I on the other hand can see past one company.

Didn't you say somethig to the effect that SOny has given you 10 years of gamning, and you would never ever by an MS console simply out of brand loyalty alone?? That's a hardcore ****** bro. I love my XBOX but I would drop it in a heartbeat if PS3's game library is better.

Anyways, back on topic, here's a 1UP roundtable on the X360, they really give props to PD0:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3144637&did=1

Joystiq hands-on: Xbox 360

• Call of Duty 2 - My favorite overall experience—a ceaseless attack on the senses. I really enjoyed the arcade-style pace and gameplay coupled with a pseudo-authentic WWII motif. But 8-player (only?) Live support was a disappointment…
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins - Biggest surprise. Integrating player-friendly (i.e. easy) detective work provided a nice break from beating psychotic vagrants to death with anything and everything (read: 2x4s, lead pipes, fire axes, mannequin arms, etc…). Be prepared to have DOOM 3 flashbacks…
  • Dead or Alive 4 - Most disappointing title on-hand. A modest upgrade from Dead or Alive Ultimate—and yes, that means better bounce. However, there are some promising Xbox Live spectator features.
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Fans of the series will not be disappointed. Personally, I don’t have 200+ hours to immerse myself in this one, but for those that do, put this on the shopping list. The Havoc Physics Engine rocks, plus combat has been much improved!
  • Kameo: Elements of Power - Not my cup of tea, but I respect what Rare has down with this one. Kameo could be a breakthrough title that attracts a huge audience of casual and younger-aged gamers—there are also elements that cater to the hardcore. Kameo’s “hover†ability (she can fly a few feet off of the ground) is just plain cool.
  • King Kong - The two level demo version. Looks impressive, and Ubi’s choice to feature no HUD could lead to some innovative gameplay. But poor response and obstructive camera angles ruined the Kong experience. Ubi will definitely iron this out though—so watch for the final build…
  • NBA Live 06 - The build was rough, and there wasn’t a developer on-hand. It did look pretty (easily recognized the 76ers roster), but played awkward—I’ve always found that basketball sims ultimately fail as video games.
  • Need for Speed Most Wanted - I’ve never been a huge NFS fan, but the initial test drive impressed. The speed is there, and it looks gorgeous. But the collisions are awkward and the traffic is too light for my tastes.
  • Perfect Dark Zero - Mixed feelings. I want to like this game, but I’ve got a sinking feeling… it tells me that I’ve been here before—I’ve been here many times. There’s simply not enough innovation. PDZ cannot carry the Xbox 360 launch.
  • Project Gotham Racing 3 - The cockpit view was hands-down the sweetest frickin’ ish on the showroom floor. I got lost staring out the passenger window, er, rather, I crashed into a wall—many walls. Visually stunning, same old Gotham gameplay.-Joystiq
CoD2 and PGR3 definitely have caught my attention. The Elder Scrolls is definitely one I'd like to try, but I would never have the time to really get into it.
But as a serious gamer, I’m disappointed. Nothing at this event blew my mind. In fact, I came away feeling like I’ve been here before—only now, she’s a lil’ bit prettier. The truth is, when you hook up the original Xbox to an HDTV, she looks pretty damn fine in her own right. I can’t wait for developers to unlock what’s really under the hood of the Xbox 360. But know that that will most certainly not be this November, or even perhaps, next November…-Joystiq
I'm certain the PS3 launch will be the same, but wtf, I'll stare at the pretty pictures the first few go arounds and then be totally immersed in the games dodging bullets and walls 99.9% of the time.:LOL:

-aldo

There are so many 2005 X360 titles that are still on my list. This is really amazing. I had expected them to slowly drop off on by one, but I haven't really read anything to make me write off these games yet. Some people like them, some say they're okay. In a twisted way, I almost feel like I want some of them to bomb so deciding becomes easier. :p

I have to take the space here to congratulate MS for the Live Arcade, but only a little. Apparently, the Arcade now rocks, but they really should have had some of these things ironed out before now. Oh well, the coin-op section sounds REALLY interesting. I am very much looking forward to how well that works.

And I seem to be the only one not surprised about Condemned. It's Monolith, guys. Like them or not, their FPS games have been excellent for some time.

Condemned is that game that keeps crawling into my launch list....maybe I'll just save a few bucks and wait for the PC version, see how the old 9600 Pro handles that!

Seriously though, this game looks fantastic, ever since the previews way back I've been looking forward to it, kinda like 'Seven' as a video game. The hands on previews are a very good sign, everyone seems very impressed.

Some more impressions:
Engadget
Gizmondo
GamingSteve
360hacker.net
Joystiq First Impressions
Joystiq Xbox 360 Impressions
Joystiq Live Arcade Impressions
Joystiq Perfect Dark Zero Impressions
Evil Avatar Kameo Impressions
Evil Avatar Perfect Dark Zero Impressions
PC Gamer
Seattle Post
CNET

Eat your heart out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Only thing i'm at all surprised about is someone calling PGR3 (pretty good). :)

On a more serious note I think we're starting to see the benefits of the 'checklist' strategy (covering all the genre bases) taken by MS as they approach the 360 launch. I also think all of these commentaries support the "multiple 8.5 titles than one 9.5 title at launch" argument. The bottom line is that almost every group of journalists found something to love about the games being shown at these shows. I think there's been about 6 of the games previewed being called 'must have' at launch by these guys in one review or another.

I think i'll pick up condemned for sure now, the concept always seemed to have potential in my eyes im glad to see its coming along well. The only thing i'm waiting for is the length of the game, which i imagine would suffer if the development time was shortened to make launch. At 60$, a 12 hour fling isnt going to cut it for me anymore.

J

Nite_Hawk said:
Sounds like Kameo is being very well received. It looks like it should be a really nice game if it's as fun as the various zelda/mario games. Almost would be worth getting for my wife as she loves those.

It seems like Kameo is going to lack the exploration/freedom/questing that can be found in something like a zelda game. :(

It could, however, be a lot like Mario though with engaging and varied 'platformer' elements like Mario 64 Had.

Either way i think its looking to be fun. Graphics aside, the comments i like the most about this game are the ones where reviewers couldnt stop PLAYING it. The 'ooohs' and 'aahhhhs' over the grfx are nice but hearing about people enjoying the gameplay most is what put it on my preorder list.

J

:cry: man i need to win a few million in the lotto to afford all the games i want at the launch.

The good news however is alot of the titles will surely drop in price in the months following so i will have a steady stream of good games to pick up cheaply .

Anyone know when offical reviews will start to hit ? I'm thinking the first week of novemember

expletive said:
It seems like Kameo is going to lack the exploration/freedom/questing that can be found in something like a zelda game. :(

It could, however, be a lot like Mario though with engaging and varied 'platformer' elements like Mario 64 Had.

J

Well in order to get upgraded moves for the 10 different characters, you have to complete sidequests throughout the world, they said there's 50+ sidequests, so that sounds pretty sweet for exploring.

In depth hands-on preview:
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200510/N05.1012.1609.33789.htm

Back