Steam

I feel we're going off the track here a bit in the terms of discussion
I agree i think the point is they sold me a game and at no point did they tell me "we are selling you this game for 6 months"
Imagine if you bought a Tesla and 6 months later the company shut it down (and before anyone says it yes I know a Tesla is more expensive but the principle is exactly the same)

Last edited:
Gabe Newell amazing weight loss has some people amazed and other people worried.

gabe-newell-ceo-valve-3297106.jpg

gabens-amazing-weight-loss-v0-867wsc3m36tc1.jpeg

This happened following the release of Fallout TV series.

Despite approaching almost a decade old, Fallout 4 is currently sitting in SteamDB's top 20 games by concurrent numbers, making it one of the most popular games on Steam this weekend.

The plot twist here is its actually people getting in before the upcoming patch breaks all the mods.
I don't have the game 'cos I never played Fallout except Fallout 1, but that gotta hurt some people who use mods for this game, which I guess are many. I also guess there are mods on consoles for Fallout, like in Skyrim....

On a different note, Ubisoft has been heartless with The Crew and now you can't install nor play it even if you have the game and the license, and some people want to sue Ubisoft.

It probably won't break most mods volume wise (as most mods are relatively simple) that are just replacements and/or are made from the provided mod tools. Although it might be possible depending on what they change. There might also be some bugs/glitches if there is hypothetically some conflict if the mod makes script changes that sit on top depending on what the patch fixes in terms of scripts (as it mentions things like quest fixes).

What's likely to break for sure though is mods on the PC that use the script extender. The script extender will need to be updated, and the mods that use that will need to be updated. Generally the more complex mods tend to use the script extender.

It's already being recommended for users that have the game on Steam or other platforms that auto update to pause (or break updates) if they want to play with mods to avoid conflicts. Although it's certainly possible to extensively mod the game and also not use any mod that uses the script extender.

As an aside Fallout 3 and 4 have a lot of departure from Fallout 1 and 2. Which I don't think is neccesarily think is a bad thing, but Fallout 3 when it came out was actually quite controversial in terms of how it fit lore wise with 1 and 2. New Vegas is the game with the most call backs and similar themes as the studio who made had more key people who worked on 1/2, even though of course gameplay mechanics wise it's still a large departure.

Just noticed while looking at my download queue in steam that enshrouded has an update, while that's not very note worthy there is an info icon you can mouse over and it says it's an update for shader pre cache. Is this steam trying to work on shader stutter?

steamsp.jpg

Just noticed while looking at my download queue in steam that enshrouded has an update, while that's not very note worthy there is an info icon you can mouse over and it says it's an update for shader pre cache. Is this steam trying to work on shader stutter?

View attachment 11184
Enshrouded uses Vulkan, so yes, Steam will download shader pre-caching updates for it when there are some. It's nothing new. Steam simply added/improved their UI to show what game updates consist of.. since now Steam Deck is a thing.

Enshrouded uses Vulkan, so yes, Steam will download shader pre-caching updates for it when there are some. It's nothing new. Steam simply added/improved their UI to show what game updates consist of.. since now Steam Deck is a thing.
Is there a reason it can't work with direct x or is it just the works already done with vulkan because of steam deck/proton? Be nice if they could push it out for windows/dx if there's no other technical reason.

Is there a reason it can't work with direct x or is it just the works already done with vulkan because of steam deck/proton? Be nice if they could push it out for windows/dx if there's no other technical reason.
The work they've done with Fossilize and for Proton and the Steam Deck is a large part of why they're doing it. However it also works on Windows with certain games which use Vulkan or OpenGL. They're able to more easily do this with how the APIs handle support for plugins. DirectX has no such layering support built into it by default and would need to be hacked, triggering anti cheat systems.. so that's why they haven't implemented any support for DX12 shader pre-caching as far as I can tell. Microsoft would have to (and they could) build the functionality into the API.. but I've asked the DX team about it and outside of stating that they're aware of it and are working on ways to fix PSO stuttering for the future.. they've got nothing to announce at the moment.. so we basically just have to wait.

new refund policy update. Many users played early access games, which didnt have the 2 hours of gameplay limitation, and then asked for a refund when they completed a certain early access game.

new refund policy update. Many users played early access games, which didnt have the 2 hours of gameplay limitation, and then asked for a refund when they completed a certain early access game.

This will likely exacerbate the problem of some developers choosing to keep their games in Early Access indefinitely. If a game is sufficiently feature-complete and content-complete to be a minimum viable product, and does not have excessive bugs or performance issues, then developers should declare it to have reached 1.0.0 and end Early Access. If it doesn't meet that criteria, then it's effectively a paid demo and there should be no restrictions on refunds.

This will likely exacerbate the problem of some developers choosing to keep their games in Early Access indefinitely.
This is about "Advanced Access", not "Early Access". Advanced Access is game that aren't presented as EA but which are available to play before the official launch date. If a game launches on the 1st May, and you buy it on or after the 1st of May, you have a two hour window to decide if you want a refund or not. However, AA allows you to access that game a few days before hand. Now you can play the game from maybe the 27th April, play if for 100 hours, then one hour after it releases on 1st of May, ask for a refund. That's ludicrous! This moves the measure of the two hour refund window from two hours play after release time to two hours play ever.
If it doesn't meet that criteria, then it's effectively a paid demo and there should be no restrictions on refunds.
There should be the two hour refunds window, as there is. If you buy an EA game, you know what you are getting. You've two hours play time, 14 days installation time, to decide if it's going anywhere. If you accept the game after that, if it doesn't ever finish, that's on you. This change in policy doesn't affect Early Access at all.

Early Access is a risk. You can't give the developer funds to help make the game, and then withdraw those funds months or years later - they've already spent them to make the game! If you don't want to fund WIP titles with the possibility they are never finished, wait until a game is released before buying.

Back