Steam

pjbliverpool

B3D Scallywag
Legend
Steam hits over 34m concurrent players:

Steam has around 120m monthly active users, while Epic Game Store has around 80m. Although it's likely a very large percentage of those are duplicated across both platforms:

To give some context to those numbers, that is more concurrent users on Steam, than total sales of Xbox Series X + Series S by around 26%. It's also around 65% of the total PS5 sales.

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 52,647,376
Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 27,228,480
Steam Monthly Active Users: ~120,000,000

Last edited by a moderator:

Concurrent users and players aren't the same. Concurrent players (actually in game) typically ranges from 1/3 to 1/4 of concurrent users. Steam is just a background process for a lot of people, I've been a concurrent user of Steam for weeks now with maybe only a few hours (or even less) of play time (and no it's not because I play on the consoles, don't own either a PS5 much less Xbox).

Doing that type of comparison seems apples to oranges. It would make more sense to compare monthly active users directly against Xbox Live and PSN. Both of which also report around the ~120m mark I believe.

To give some context to those numbers, that is more concurrent users on Steam, than total sales of Xbox Series X + Series S by around 26%. It's also around 65% of the total PS5 sales.

Related to the above looking at like this is also rather tricky because Steam (and the PC) doesn't actually have generations.

I've tried to make this point before but I hate the idea of lumping PC gaming or even Steam gaming as just one demographic. A huge chunk of people who play on the PC have basically no interest (or very little) in modern AAA multiplatform games that the hardware enthusiast sub demographic focuses on.

Concurrent users and players aren't the same. Concurrent players (actually in game) typically ranges from 1/3 to 1/4 of concurrent users. Steam is just a background process for a lot of people, I've been a concurrent user of Steam for weeks now with maybe only a few hours (or even less) of play time (and no it's not because I play on the consoles, don't own either a PS5 much less Xbox).

Doing that type of comparison seems apples to oranges. It would make more sense to compare monthly active users directly against Xbox Live and PSN. Both of which also report around the ~120m mark I believe.
Good point. I guess for consoles, they are only on when being used, although that'll be for media as well as gaming.
Related to the above looking at like this is also rather tricky because Steam (and the PC) doesn't actually have generations.

I've tried to make this point before but I hate the idea of lumping PC gaming or even Steam gaming as just one demographic. A huge chunk of people who play on the PC have basically no interest (or very little) in modern AAA multiplatform games that the hardware enthusiast sub demographic focuses on.
I guess there'd be value in having a sort of breakdown for the sectors Steam reaches. It's everywhere, but what are buying habits, playing habits, and hardware abilities like? We rely on the Steam Hardware Survey for the latter, which should be very accurate. I guess that hardware indicates gaming tastes as the percentage of high-end cards will be AAA game players. Making sense of the mid tier is much harder though.

This is an interesting point, but perhaps not in the way that you meant it. It could be argued that PS1 and PS2 gaming also wasn't a demographic focused on modern (at the time) AAA gaming. Back then "indie" games or small non-AAA games were far more prevalent or perhaps more accurately, more popular among the console install base of the time. The PS3, PS4 and PS5 generations increasingly abandoned smaller non-AAA games in favor of focusing mostly on AAA games.

It's interesting that in many ways Steam's user base is closer to the PS1 and PS2 era console gamer user base than the modern day console gamer userbase. Yes, smaller games still exist on PS and XB, but are not as popular on those platforms as they were during the PS1 and PS2 era.

Regards,
SB

I'm skeptical, especially when GTA3 was the biggest game on PS2.

I realize you love indies, but AAA games were still a big deal, and still are.

Concurrent users and players aren't the same.

I didn't say they were ;) . Nevertheless it's still a highly informative number for reasons I address below.

Concurrent players (actually in game) typically ranges from 1/3 to 1/4 of concurrent users. Steam is just a background process for a lot of people, I've been a concurrent user of Steam for weeks now with maybe only a few hours (or even less) of play time (and no it's not because I play on the consoles, don't own either a PS5 much less Xbox).

Steam is a background process for many, no doubt, but if more people are logged into Steam at a given point than there have been total sales of a particular current gen console then that's still very indicative of the relative market sizes. These 34m people need to have their PC's on, and be logged into Steam. Given this is a global metric that covers all time zones, the actual number of Steam users is going to be much, much higher than the concurrent. And not all gamers have Steam active when it's not being actively used. I certainly don't.

That's relevant if the developer is considering releasing a cross gen game because the 120m figures will include PS4/XBO and likely even some users from the generation before. I'd assume the XBL figure may also include PC gamers given the total XBO+SBS sales wouldn't support it.

For current gen only games though the 120m figure for PSN/XBL is pretty meaningless whereas the Steam MAU number genuinely represents a real target market.

Yes of course I understand that not all of those 120m users have a PC as capable as the current gen consoles, but thanks to the Steam hardware survey, developers can fairy accurately target whatever proportion of that 120m they wish through scaling, bearing in mind of course that the target performance for a "current gen" experience is the Series S. And PC games can scale even below that.

But again, thanks to the Steam Hardware Survey we can get a fairly accurate picture of how large the hardware enthusiast demographic is, or at the very least, how large the market is that can re-produce the "next gen experience" with minimal compromises. Taking that performance threshold as Series S or greater, the number is certainly larger than the total sales of any current gen console including the PS5. And that's using the monthly concurrent users as the starting figure vs total sales on the console side.

To put that into real numbers, around 60% of GPU's in the SHS feature 8GB or more memory. So that's GTX 1070 level at the lowest end which is comfortably a match for Series S. That translates to roughly 72m PC's active monthly that would be a reasonable target for a current gen only game with a minimum quality level matching or exceeding the Series S. And of course that market can be increased through settings scaling. And that's just Steam., And that's just the active users in a given month rather than total platform sales.

Compared to 53m PS5's and 27m XBS consoles sold in total, it's clearly a big market for developers to want to target.

50% of them aren't actually playing a game, and another 25% are just playing CS:GO, Apex Legends and DOTA2.

Steam is absolutely huge no doubt, but we should be realistic about what these numbers mean.

Like, even with me, I might load up a game on Steam, but then when I exit out of the game, I usually dont close Steam til I turn off my computer at the end of the day.

50% of them aren't actually playing a game, and another 25% are just playing CS:GO, Apex Legends and DOTA2.

It's way less than 50%. Steamdb tracks active users and active players. The active player count is typically only in the ~25% - 33% range of active users.

Like, even with me, I might load up a game on Steam, but then when I exit out of the game, I usually dont close Steam til I turn off my computer at the end of the day.

For better or worse Steam's now as much a social platform as well as anything else which a lot of people use it as well.

I didn't say they were ;) . Nevertheless it's still a highly informative number for reasons I address below.

Well you did use "concurrent players" -

when citing the Wccftech article for "concurrent users."

Steam is a background process for many, no doubt, but if more people are logged into Steam at a given point than there have been total sales of a particular current gen console then that's still very indicative of the relative market sizes. These 34m people need to have their PC's on, and be logged into Steam. Given this is a global metric that covers all time zones, the actual number of Steam users is going to be much, much higher than the concurrent. And not all gamers have Steam active when it's not being actively used. I certainly don't.

We don't need to guess the numbers for players. Steamdb, the orignal source used by the WCCFtech article you used, also tracks active players. Active player count is typically in the ~25% - 33% range of active users.

Also the time zone argument as it relates to potential market is a bit tricky as a China now represents a huge number of Steam players. The actual draw of SP console multiplats, especially in terms of monetary value, relative to the user base there is going to be on the low ratio side due to a variety of factors.

That's relevant if the developer is considering releasing a cross gen game because the 120m figures will include PS4/XBO and likely even some users from the generation before. I'd assume the XBL figure may also include PC gamers given the total XBO+SBS sales wouldn't support it.

For current gen only games though the 120m figure for PSN/XBL is pretty meaningless whereas the Steam MAU number genuinely represents a real target market.

Yes of course I understand that not all of those 120m users have a PC as capable as the current gen consoles, but thanks to the Steam hardware survey, developers can fairy accurately target whatever proportion of that 120m they wish through scaling, bearing in mind of course that the target performance for a "current gen" experience is the Series S. And PC games can scale even below that.

This seems to ignore sub demographics. The PC market is much more fragmented than the console market in terms of why people game on the PC. That 120m MAU has much more users than you might think who simply are not really targetable. Just viewing it through the lens of hardware capability is a bit of a hardware enthuasist centric view point.

But again, thanks to the Steam Hardware Survey we can get a fairly accurate picture of how large the hardware enthusiast demographic is, or at the very least, how large the market is that can re-produce the "next gen experience" with minimal compromises. Taking that performance threshold as Series S or greater, the number is certainly larger than the total sales of any current gen console including the PS5. And that's using the monthly concurrent users as the starting figure vs total sales on the console side.

To put that into real numbers, around 60% of GPU's in the SHS feature 8GB or more memory. So that's GTX 1070 level at the lowest end which is comfortably a match for Series S. That translates to roughly 72m PC's active monthly that would be a reasonable target for a current gen only game with a minimum quality level matching or exceeding the Series S. And of course that market can be increased through settings scaling. And that's just Steam., And that's just the active users in a given month rather than total platform sales.

Compared to 53m PS5's and 27m XBS consoles sold in total, it's clearly a big market for developers to want to target.

I feel again this is a hardware enthuisist centric perception in which they tend to feel people buying console level hardware (for lack of a better term) are primiarly interested in those console multiplatform, especially SP, games that tend to dominant hardware enthuasist coverage (reviews).

A huge chunk of people believe or not buy them just to play "e-sports" type titles that you might not think are demanding. Hence interestingly why Nvidia has been doing a lot of latency based technical marketing over just raw FPS.

Or just other PC centric titles. For example ancedotally when I was playing MMOs a ton of the people I knew in those games (really the majority) didn't play SP AAA games on their PC even though they had high end hardware capable of doing so, a good deal of them just played on their console instead but just the MMO on the PC. They certianly were not running out to buy those multi plat SP games on day one even if they had the hardware to do so.

But I want to focus the discussion a bit so as to not go way off track here. This isn't about the actual size of the PC market (or Steam specifically) but to put better releveance on numbers presented in terms of how it relates to console multiplats.

I also do think it's worth mentioning that while there is a tendency to directly compare PC gaming with consoles I feel the majority of PC gamers don't treat them interchangeably, and don't find them as subsitutes (eg. the if GPUs are too expensive just buy a console, or even the other way around, if you have the money just buy a PC). There is a some overlap, but a huge chunk just look at their PC gaming as their own thing.

What the heck is going on in this thread?

Steam, just like any other platform.. has daily and monthly "active users" as a metric to measure engagement. All platforms also have "daily concurrent players"... of which a fraction of the active users are playing at the same time.

Steam DOES have more concurrent players playing at any given time, than Xbox Series consoles have total sales. It doesn't mean anything.. it's just a "fun fact", I suppose.

I'm not sure why these numbers are being broken up into sub demographics... The same thing applies to all the other platforms out there. There are huge chunks of people who buy PS5s and only play COD... or Xbox and only play Fortnite, or a Switch and only play Pokemon... ect ect. Every platform has this.

This is where Sony and Microsoft (contrary to Nintendo or Epic) are doing a big mistake. Steam is their most dangerous competitor and they should not be giving their customers and money to them even at the cost of selling a few millions less copies of their games. What they are doing is toxic for them.

It could be argued that PS1 and PS2 gaming also wasn't a demographic focused on modern (at the time) AAA gaming. Back then "indie" games or small non-AAA games were far more prevalent or perhaps more accurately, more popular among the console install base of the time. The PS3, PS4 and PS5 generations increasingly abandoned smaller non-AAA games in favor of focusing mostly on AAA games.

It's interesting that in many ways Steam's user base is closer to the PS1 and PS2 era console gamer user base than the modern day console gamer userbase. Yes, smaller games still exist on PS and XB, but are not as popular on those platforms as they were during the PS1 and PS2 era.
yes, that was the case, people bought games that thought were fun and that was it. Publishers big and small had a good chance to sell in the platform. There are many "famous" games with horrible game covers that sold well during that era, like those from the company Phoenix Games.

Even famous games like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo could be published by small companies. SSF2 Turbo was published by Gametek on the PC and it was my first fighting game ever.

On a different note, security is one of the best features of Steam too. Gabe even published his keys and so on, but his account couldn't be hacked.

In the past, 70% of published titles failed to break even. The publishers were reliant on the 30% of success to fund the whole business and investment in these failures. I wonder what the success/fail rate is not? Steam will have an insane failure rate with all the indies, although the consoles are also shockingly open these days with countless awful indie tat available.

This is where Sony and Microsoft (contrary to Nintendo or Epic) are doing a big mistake. Steam is their most dangerous competitor and they should not be giving their customers and money to them even at the cost of selling a few millions less copies of their games. What they are doing is toxic for them.
That's true only if putting games on PC has the effect of causing console gamers to get PCs instead. IMO this doesn't really happen. PC gamers are PC gamers and console gamers are console gamers, for the most part. There's a small bleed from console to PC over time that has nothing to do with MS/Sony's publishing schedule, and more to do with lifestyle considerations. The strength of Steam is a reason TO put games on PC. Why wouldn't Sony want to sell another 5 million copies of Spider-Man 2 two years after its release on PS? I don't know any Sony fans that are going to wait 2 years to play TLOU 3 on a PC instead of getting it on PS. Not going to happen.

That's true only if putting games on PC has the effect of causing console gamers to get PCs instead. IMO this doesn't really happen. PC gamers are PC gamers and console gamers are console gamers, for the most part. There's a small bleed from console to PC over time that has nothing to do with MS/Sony's publishing schedule, and more to do with lifestyle considerations. The strength of Steam is a reason TO put games on PC. Why wouldn't Sony want to sell another 5 million copies of Spider-Man 2 two years after its release on PS? I don't know any Sony fans that are going to wait 2 years to play TLOU 3 on a PC instead of getting it on PS. Not going to happen.
This is happening right now. Plenty of people in forums saying exactly that. and we can see the numbers anyways. Profits are down because they don't sell enough games overall compared to the consoles they sell, compared to before. People still want PS5, but they can wait and buy more PS games on PC. They are slowly migrating to PC ecosystem.

This is happening right now. Plenty of people in forums saying exactly that. and we can see the numbers anyways. Profits are down because they don't sell enough games overall compared to the consoles they sell, compared to before. People still want PS5, but they can wait and buy more PS games on PC. They are slowly migrating to PC ecosystem.
This is a miniscule amount of people in the grand scheme of things. Profits are down because they're buying developers, and their game budgets have skyrocketed. They also don't have 100M+ PS5's out there yet...

There's no great migration... there's ebb and flows, just like there always has been. Since Sony started releasing games on PC in 2020... they've literally broken multiple records.. both in games, and hardware. They're doing just fine.. and will do better when they realize there's tons of money left on the table with PC gaming.

Back