Xbox leadership and the Xbox brand evaluation *spawn

Well they didn't show as much as I'd hoped, but still pretty good:

Hellblade 2 performance and trailer were amazing
OD primer
Blade
First Berzerker: Khazan
Fallout TV show
Xbox 1st party won more awards (3) than Sony 1st party (1)

OD primer
Blade
Fallout TV show
I'd expect a lot more at their june/e3 event. They don't really need the game awards as much as the game awards needed them for announcements. I am wondering if hellblade will be before e3

OD primer
Blade
Fallout TV show

First Berseker: Khazan is a third party game...

Out of Hellbalde 2, I was impress by nothing.

OD is the worst first realtime trailer for a game of Kojima. All MGS first trailer and Death Stranding reveal trailer are by far better. Blade 2 is only a cinematic for a game releasing probably 2027 to 2029.

My personal view. MS’ best exclusive atm is Flight Sim on the PC. Studio has done a great job there. For me a lot of hope is riding on playground executing Fable 4 well. I’ve given up on Halo and Gears at this point.

I never really understood the attraction of Gears. Every time I tried them they felt so dull. Like some imaginary arcade shoot em up with some modern graphics but without all the stuff which makes 3PS action adventures and real FPS so immersive.

I never really understood the attraction of Gears. Every time I tried them they felt so dull. Like some imaginary arcade shoot em up with some modern graphics but without all the stuff which makes 3PS action adventures and real FPS so immersive.
Gears was the seminal cover-based shooter of the seventh generation, arriving early (2006) that generation and really showing off the 360's hardware as well as how 3D action-combat games had evolved. Space marines, chainsaws, monsters, lots of violence and spectacle!

343i still sounds like a mess. Gears 5 was well received wasn't it, especially the expansion?

Somewhat ironically, I really enjoyed a playthrough of most of Infinite. I've never managed to get more than a few levels into any Gears game.
Gears 4 was really well recieved but 5 suffered a bit from the weird half step into an open world type game. Hopefully with 6 they either go full open game or go back to a liner style.

I loved infinite single player but i was never big on halo multi player

https://www.uploadvr.com/microsoft-killing-windows-mixed-reality/ MS is just so bad at executing hardware platforms. From having some of the best VR devices based on WMR and then never really evolving it, then doing some weird shit with hololens which had no direction, now it’s back to abandoning another platform.

This is right as when apple feels the industry is mature enough to jump into, Meta is selling millions of quest 2/3 devices and others niche players are carving out a usecase.

Meanwhile, WMR devices can lay down with windows phone, zune, Kinect and tbd.

Yeah, I remember some windows presentation few years ago, WMR was hyped as almost next office for engineers etc, almost seemed like they had a plan how to push that.

I think that sort of leadership is generally lacking. Hard pushed to think of any companies with a vision that carry it out successfully. There's a lot of latest, greatest announcements that lead to flops and abandoned projects after a few years.

https://www.uploadvr.com/microsoft-killing-windows-mixed-reality/ MS is just so bad at executing hardware platforms. From having some of the best VR devices based on WMR and then never really evolving it, then doing some weird shit with hololens which had no direction, now it’s back to abandoning another platform.

This is right as when apple feels the industry is mature enough to jump into, Meta is selling millions of quest 2/3 devices and others niche players are carving out a usecase.

Meanwhile, WMR devices can lay down with windows phone, zune, Kinect and tbd.

WMR may be dead for consumers, but MS (like most of the VR/AR industry) has doubled down on supporting and continuing with innovation for the enterprise sector. Hololens and VR/AR support in Windows will continue, just not for consumers.

Just look at Pico, they've cancelled plans for their latest consumer headset and are instead focusing on the enterprise sector.

The reason that MS and most VR/AR companies are focusing on enterprise is because that's the only sector where they can make money. There just is not enough consumer interest to support a profitable VR/AR business. Even META which controls 50%+ of the market continues to be unprofitable WRT VR/AR.

It's not like a 3500 USD VR headset is suddenly going to make consumer interest in VR take off. :p Apple is selling a headset for that much because they are going for ultra low volume enterprise customers and people with deep pockets. Apple knows there is currently little consumer interest in VR/AR headsets (due to cost and size) so they are going after the high margin markets (enterprise, creators and people with lots of disposable income) with low sales volume.

Tencent (probably the worlds largest gaming company) was on the verge of cancelling all VR projects until they partnered with Meta to bring Quest to China in a last ditch hail mary to try to salvage some of their investment into VR game development.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Hmm. And here I was thinking AR could help make a comeback to classical laser tag type games. A large arena with different obstacles and what not. Use the AR to theme it different environments. There would be different type games and even Call if Duty type things. Capture the Flag is an easy one. Have different respawn points in the arena etc.

One thing is clear the commercialization of the tech is outside the hands of the mass market. But a niche in a city where there's a large population density maybe supportable.

Hmm. And here I was thinking AR could help make a comeback to classical laser tag type games. A large arena with different obstacles and what not. Use the AR to theme it different environments. There would be different type games and even Call if Duty type things. Capture the Flag is an easy one. Have different respawn points in the arena etc.

One thing is clear the commercialization of the tech is outside the hands of the mass market. But a niche in a city where there's a large population density maybe supportable.
That's the kind of out-and-about experience that might work. Move VR/AR to the arcades and run it as a business. The question is then whether it'd be cost effective and get enough players at enough income?

Back