News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IBM has had a 32nm compatible process for a long time now.

32nm would still be too big and power hungry. We should see the redesigned xbox 360 before the redesigned xbox one though. The last rumor I heard was it wouldn't even have a dvd drive so it could end up being tinnnny Talking smaller than a wii u.

32nm would still be too big and power hungry. We should see the redesigned xbox 360 before the redesigned xbox one though. The last rumor I heard was it wouldn't even have a dvd drive so it could end up being tinnnny Talking smaller than a wii u.
Maybe it goes along with the XTV domains they just registered.
I still wish for a tiny streaming box that has media center. ;)

Maybe it goes along with the XTV domains they just registered.
I still wish for a tiny streaming box that has media center. ;)
xbox 360 is a media extender. So you can just put an htpc some where in the house and stream to it.

I have amd brazos 1.6ghz dual core with 8 gigs of ram that runs my media center and I have 3 tuners and then I have that go out to 10 xboxs around the house.

Wow 10 devices? How big a house do you have, if I put 1 into each room in my apartment including the walking closet and the hallway I would end up with 6 :)

Wow 10 devices? How big a house do you have, if I put 1 into each room in my apartment including the walking closet and the hallway I would end up with 6 :)

We have 8 that we use all the time , one out on the back deck that is used during the summer and then one hooked up to a projector for movie nights in the pool.

There are 6 of us living here right now and then my niece and nephew vist and stay over once or twice a week.

I am down to 4, 2 are X1's with 360's in the HDMI. The rest are 360's.

I was just curious as to what some of the domains that MS registered could mean? Lots of times we see nothing I guess.

Hey guys wasn't sure where to ask this, but I'm out of the loop on Xbox Gold and needed some info on it. Their website isn't really clear on what you get with it, it says "With Xbox Live Gold, you get the most advanced multiplayer gaming, bonus games, exclusive member discounts and more." So does Xbox Gold basically just get you multiplayer and game discounts, and everything else can be used without the need for Gold?

Could the Xbox 360 APU ever be built in a model of Xbox One?

Can a scenario be entertained where Microsoft was waiting for a number of factors, i.e., 360 retail life end, Xbox One cost reduction and 20/14nm parts to add 360 backwards compatibility to at least one Xbox One model?

Would there be significant OS level complications having a regular X1 and a b.c. X1?

Hey guys wasn't sure where to ask this, but I'm out of the loop on Xbox Gold and needed some info on it. Their website isn't really clear on what you get with it, it says "With Xbox Live Gold, you get the most advanced multiplayer gaming, bonus games, exclusive member discounts and more." So does Xbox Gold basically just get you multiplayer and game discounts, and everything else can be used without the need for Gold?

Online MP + smart match, Deals with Gold, Games with Gold (only accessible as long as you have membership for Xbox One, IIRC. 360 is permanent ownership as long as you grab the game at the time it was offered), parties & party chat (1-on-1 chat otherwise?), Game DVR cloud storage (I suppose that means you can still use it for offline storage), Upload Studio (?), Xbox Fitness.

Pretty sure they removed the gold requirement for the entertainment & various apps a while ago.

edit:
*Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO GO, YouTube, Twitch, ESPN, NFL, Xbox Music, and experiences such as Internet Explorer, Skype, OneDrive, OneGuide, and Upload Studio without needing Xbox Live Gold*

Not sure what the deal is with Upload Studio.

Last edited:
Online MP + smart match, Deals with Gold, Games with Gold (only accessible as long as you have membership for Xbox One, IIRC. 360 is permanent ownership as long as you grab the game at the time it was offered), parties & party chat (1-on-1 chat otherwise?), Game DVR cloud storage (I suppose that means you can still use it for offline storage), Upload Studio (?), Xbox Fitness.

Pretty sure they removed the gold requirement for the entertainment & various apps a while ago.

Perfect that's what I needed to know, thanks!

Could the Xbox 360 APU ever be built in a model of Xbox One?

Can a scenario be entertained where Microsoft was waiting for a number of factors, i.e., 360 retail life end, Xbox One cost reduction and 20/14nm parts to add 360 backwards compatibility to at least one Xbox One model?
Sounds like an expensive motherboard design just for interfacing to the Southbridge, plus the 360 APU would need it's own set of GDDR3 chips laid out.

Also... when not running 360 games, the chip would still have to be powered up, I think? i.e. bad idle power consumption regardless.

Would there be significant OS level complications having a regular X1 and a b.c. X1?

I could be 101% wrong (hadn't given it much thought. :p), but conceivably I suppose there might just be an exclusive mode operation (it's just two consoles in one with zero interaction between OS's - multiplexed HDMI-out? I don't remember how PS2 BC worked on PS3), but maybe they could feed the 360 chips through the HDMI-passthrough section as you can now (just fully on-board instead), but then maybe they'd need to have a reserved HDD section or some funny access (require an external HDD for 360 games?).

*shrug*

Xbox One is the only console of this generation that supports native 4K for games. :smile2:
Considering we're getting games at 720p on it, you really think it's going to have a decent amount of 4k games? That's even what the article says!
article said:
What we have seen though, is a general misunderstanding that 4K gaming is on the way to the PS4 and Xbox One. We’re here to remind you that this isn’t the case, as the PS4 and Xbox One have enough problems bringing out games at 1080p, 60FPS

Actually, consoles have changed a lot and are getting their act together, they offer deals left and right these days.

Xbox One is the only console of this generation that supports native 4K for games. :smile2:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2015/02/03/xbox-one-supports-4k-for-games-ps4-for-video-only/

Well this isn't for me actually, I've moved on from consoles. But I have a PS4 at a property that I think I'll be replacing with an Xbox One because the PS4 camera doesn't work well in the lighting over there whereas Kinect 2.0 should work ok in that lower light situation. I wanted to be sure though that Xbox Gold wasn't required for much of the consoles functionality, but seems like it's mostly just for online play which won't be used there anyways. As for 4k console games, yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on that outside of maybe the occasional indie game.

That would be Tetris at 24fps! Well I guess that would be ok I guess. ;)

(Actually does 1.4b allow 4k in a low color mode at a higher fps?) So Tetris in low color at 30fps! Yay!

I have not looked into the SDK enough to see what 4k would take, on the 360 you could do 1080p but 720p was rather easy. I never messed with doing that on 360, but I remember a few years ago I had to redo all my art to port to phone at 1080p. o_O

Considering we're getting games at 720p on it, you really think it's going to have a decent amount of 4k games? That's even what the article says!

Yeah, but something like Patapon or LocoRoco would look amazing! Or anything with the PixelJunk 2D art styles.

Yes, but there is no arrogance nor vainglory in the article, it's what it is. Fellow forumers have mentioned that games like Tetris or Patapon or LocoRoco would be possible at 4k.

I'd add Geometry Wars 4k!

Yes, but there is no arrogance nor vainglory in the article, it's what it is. Fellow forumers have mentioned that games like Tetris or Patapon or LocoRoco would be possible at 4k.
I've mentioned that too in the 4k gaming thread. Supporting native 4k games is basically immaterial if the number of titles that'll use it can be counted on three fingers. If XB1 actually had a library of 4k games then it'd be a an issue of note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back