News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Acert93, Mar 8, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

For things like launching games that are already in the disc drive, it actually might be quite clumsier to use the voice and if the new features were about that simple fact, they wouldn't amount to anything.

However, if you are in a chat with a friend or listening to music in the background from time to time while you go somewhere, using Twitch and so on and so forth, then it can be useful.

For searches though voice commands run circles around using the gamepad for input. There is no comparison, it is a one horse race. That's from my experience with Kinect 1, I have it powered on all the time.

2. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

That's what I was most impressed by. That and the recognizing users by voice.

Makes me wonder though if there are any provisions for stopping:

"Xbox, show my stuff"
    "NO. Xbox, show MY stuff"

The voice-control equivalent of fighting over the controller.

Or someone grabbing control of your console with voice commands during a multiplayer match or while your watching TV, etc..

AFAIK, this hasn't been addressed.

3. RudeCurve

Banned

Going by that logic nobody is using Siri given that it's pretty basic to just type a search item into a box on your phone.

4. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

5. XpiderMX

Veteran

Temporal ban, MN said he will be un banned the 22 nov.

6. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

7. RudeCurve

Banned

What about other lower resolutions like 1680x1050?

8. XpiderMX

Veteran

9. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Major Nelson said months ago that the console supports 4k and 3D via HDMI, maybe the TV wasn't a 4k one and the console only displayed the "discovered" resolutions.

As for 1680x1050, it never worked for me before -my previous HDTV was 1680x1050 native- via HDMI although it was an option because the "Display Discovery" option worked well in that case. However, when trying to enable 1680x1050 the TV displayed a message saying "Mode not supported".

Nevertheless, with a VGA cable 1680x1050 worked like a charm on my previous TV and I really liked the overall picture quality. -it was also a good choice to decrease lag because the TV was running at its native resolution- (I remember the advice sebbbi gave me on the matter)

10. -tkf-

Legend

The cool stuff is when you have to do several things to get to whatever it is you want to do.
    Xbox call grandma vs typing/scrolling to Skype, finding the contact and pressing call.

But I agree, the basic functions would often be faster with a controller. Simply because pressing a button takes fractions of a second and getting to the tile is also very quick. Add to this one failed voice commando and the controller wins hands down.

The basic commands are very fast, the xb1 knows those commands, but how will it react to natural language. Interesting stuff.

11. -tkf-

Legend

Proof that Microsoft has a working xb1 live network :)

12. zed

zed
    Veteran

Thats it
    Ive used siri & the google one and have seen quite a few other people using it.
    Fun at first (seeing what it writes) but so unreliable that ultimately it is quicker typing it yourself (esp if you have swype)
    But maybe thats cause we dont have american accent's?
    Is kinect's voice recognition thing better than google/apples?

13. XpiderMX

Veteran

Other consoles connected via HDMI-In will play fine:

Even Xbox 360:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...at-the-xbox-one-will-be-able-to-drive-the-pla

14. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

I didn't see it from that point of view. His gamertag is not banned, just his console, so as XpiderMX already pointed out, the ban should be lifted by 22th this month.

EDIT: I noticed that when I am utilising DLNA on the Xbox 360, my status says that I am using Xbox Music and Video.

#7774 Cyan, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  15. RudeCurve

Banned

You could change that in the privacy settings.

16. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

With what? I don't mind if others see what I am doing, in fact I quite like it and I would like to have a more complete description when I am playing a game -i.e. Fighting the boss at Act 5 instead of (Playing Halo 3 on Legendary).

I am watching a nature documentary on the console and Youtube just says I am "Browsing videos". I am just confused as to why they changed this. I am fine with it, but they listed every single video you were watching before, if you allowed them to in your privacy settings.

I am going to keep the Xbox 360 not only for some games like Skyrim but for things like Youtube. It is not available at launch, and that's a bummer.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/195qkb1ha98eajpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Edit: This is how the new ban messages look

[​IMG]

#7776 Cyan, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  17. Jwm

Jwm
    Veteran Regular

Need themes for sure, heard not a launch though.

18. warb

Veteran

It seems like it'd be much quicker than booting up several devices with various remotes and faffing about in menus.

I do miss the "Xbox pause" command if I watch TV/a movie with another device.

19. XpiderMX

Veteran

20. loekf

Regular

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.