News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a LONG write up from The Verge on Xbox & TV...
Tommy McClain

I love how you can integrate the apps with the guide, but... this is the deal breaker for me:

"One of the things we can’t do is record shows," says Smith. If you want to use your DVR, it’s back to the cable remote. If you want to watch On Demand, it’s the same thing. The Xbox One might sit on top of your cable box, but it’s nowhere close to replacing it.

I don't really watch live TV outside of football so everything else is usually recorded. Solve that I'm on board.

That's cool, it just may not be the console for you and that's ok, different strokes for different folks. For me Kinect is all I'm really interested in with the new consoles.
Are you implying that Kinect is the decisive factor of purchase? Without it there isnt much else? :rolleyes:

That's cool, it just may not be the console for you and that's ok, different strokes for different folks. For me Kinect is all I'm really interested in with the new consoles.

The tv control shown at the end of the video was cool but it looked like it was for Comcast. Have Microsoft said if DirecTV support would be there as well, so that it would know what channels are where, get correct guide data and so on?

I've wondered how that's going to work. Maybe you'll be asked which provider you are using the first time you start the app? I wonder if they'll have a channel guide for people using external OTA tuners. That would be pretty cool. I'm never getting tv service again, but I might be tempted to get a good antennae, just to be able to watch some live tv (news, sports) every once in a while.

Are you implying that Kinect is the decisive factor of purchase? Without it there isnt much else? :rolleyes:

That's pretty much what it is for me. Without Kinect, Xbox One would just be a low-end PC. PS4 is basically a mid-range PC. There are some conveniences to consoles, but for the most part I could probably switch back to PC at this point. I know I'll be getting a new PC in the next few years when my laptop finally dies, and at that point whatever I get will be far more capable at playing the latest multi-platform games than both home consoles. At that point, I'll probably decided where I'm going to do the majority of my gaming. Depends what they add to X1 over it's lifetime. If they bring most of the Kinect features to the PC side, then that'll probably be the end of that for my X1.

That's pretty much what it is for me. Without Kinect, Xbox One would just be a low-end PC. PS4 is basically a mid-range PC. There are some conveniences to consoles, but for the most part I could probably switch back to PC at this point. I know I'll be getting a new PC in the next few years when my laptop finally dies, and at that point whatever I get will be far more capable at playing the latest multi-platform games than both home consoles. At that point, I'll probably decided where I'm going to do the majority of my gaming. Depends what they add to X1 over it's lifetime. If they bring most of the Kinect features to the PC side, then that'll probably be the end of that for my X1.

I dont understand this point of view. You dont like its performance in games, and in general you dont care about its gaming ability. And then you dont seem to refer at all to how well built its other entertainment features are by themselves. You just dont seem to care much.
Kinect is a means of control. If XBOX One's apps and OS arent good enough for you as they are where does this leave Kinect? Just an impressive hardware to show off? You need to elaborate. No matter how well Kinect works, if the software and rest of hardware side of the console arent good or adequate, Kinect wont magically make them good.
There should be something that you like that happens to be accompanied by Kinect. But by the way you wrote your statement, its like you are implying the console is mediocre in all fronts, only saved by Kinect

I think X1 looks great, and so does PS4. Nowhere did I say they look bad, or that they perform poorly. Right now, it'll be much better than what I have, which is a pretty old laptop (2008, maybe). They're both look to be a big upgrade over current gen. I'm not going to build a huge gaming PC, but I need a PC that works. I'll never dump money into expensive videocards, but two years from now, it won't be hard to top the next-gen consoles. I just don't care that much about maxing things out. For me, X1 looks like it'll be good enough. If I can get games cheaper on the PC, and I have a PC that can give me equal or greater performance, then I may just get back into PC gaming. Now if Kinect has features on X1 that are fun and interesting, and I can't get those on PC, then that's a differentiator. Or if I can't get whatever online services I can get on the consoles on the PC, then that's a differentiator as well. Xbox Fitness is a step in the right direction. We'll see what comes of Live Cloud and all that. The media features are definitely slick. Not sure how much different the experience is than using a Windows 8 PC, as I don't have either to compare.

I've narrowed down the group of people I play games with online, and for the most part they all have capable gaming PCs. I could make the switch with the exception of exclusives and a few titles that aren't made on PC at all. There are some MS exclusives I'm interested in, like Fable, and the next Remedy game. NHL hasn't been available on PC for a while, so that's another game I'll need a console for. But Battlefield and the like, I could probably jump based on who I play with.

Yup, that is exactly right. Consoles are low end pc's, they are of little interest for games. Why would I downgrade my gaming experience compared to what I have now on pc let alone tomorrow as I upgrade gpu's whenever I want? That makes no sense at all. Kinect with skype is the biggest pull for me right now along with the xb1's hdmi in meaning we're less likely to miss skype calls, and the way it follows you around the room is awesome as well. Kinect + tv stuff is the other pull as well. I know cable boxes are horrific and that Directv's receivers are somewhat better, but even then they are very very limited. I often don't search for stuff now because the experience is just too primitive. If I could just say "Xbox find Men In Black 3", or stuff like that to find specific movies or shows then that would be awesome. The final pull is just to have them announce that people can start porting their Win 8 apps to xb1, then I'll get one. Dammit, announce that already!

I've wondered how that's going to work. Maybe you'll be asked which provider you are using the first time you start the app? I wonder if they'll have a channel guide for people using external OTA tuners. That would be pretty cool. I'm never getting tv service again, but I might be tempted to get a good antennae, just to be able to watch some live tv (news, sports) every once in a while.

Long ago when I had an iPad, I used HBO Go and I remember when you first launch that app it asked for your tv provider, and DirectTV was one of them. I figure it will be the same thing here. I think DirecTV has like 40 million or so viewers so I suspect they will support them. Like ERP mentioned I guess they just have to buy the guide data and they are good to go, well along with ir remote codes. They should be able to do that with OTA as well, although that might be limited to larger cities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imo, consoles have nothing in common with PC. The experience is totally different. The games are quite different (except for the obvious multi plats).

But you will never find a TLoU on PC...so the motivation to go for consoles should be the exclusives...the games ultimately.

Kinect is no game. If they ever introduce an interesting title for me...I am happily insta changing my opinion about Kinect and will see value in it. But at this point it is a gaming device...for playing special games.

There are bits I like and bits I don't like. The execution is fabulously smooth and seamless. The style is dull and ugly. The Skype over video is very smart and what video calls really needs. The video tracking you is clever and a smart idea, but I do feel the urge to clarify that it's via cropping and scaling a 1080p feed. The undoctored image is going to be a very wideangle 1080p image, and there's a slice from there, somewhere between 480p and 720p in resolution (would have to measure amount of travel to calculate). I don't have any problem with that, but I like to be exact, and I think saying the 'camera follows you' suggests the camera is moving, but it's completely static and it's the software that follows you - a distinction no-one else probably cares to make, but it does mean you don't get a 1080p image centred on you but a cropped one.

I don't understand the multitasking aspect though. I don't see what's wrong with pressing a button to the menu and navigating to the desired app. Kinect seems gimmicky in that regard to me. It's not really adding to the experience, just changing the interface slightly. The speed advantage is irrelevant unless you spend your time hopping from game to TV to web browser to chat to game. A simple button press to the access the desired activity is fine.

The voice search for channels was very clever and valuable. No more scrolling through lists and trying to remember the channel number.

But all in all, I can't help but feel MS should have made a TV box rather than a console. If it's only using 1/10th of XB1's HW, they could have created a $150 solution that's just media and entertainment without the games. It'd have a lot more appeal and could work alongside any other console or device. Piggy-backing off the XBox console has just driven the cost up massively. I can only assume we'll see the TV box before too long once the launch is over. If MS could put the depth camera in a tablet and have a docking bay, they could be onto a winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhe6jV-APwM

1383938748978.png

How does he pause Forza 5 then come back to the game at an entirely different place?

Also when the camera is behind their heads it looks like they are sitting in front of a green screen so its obviously pre-recorded.

Maybe just multiple takes and editing. I don't see any evidence of a green screen. They show the whole living room from multiple angles.

The video tracking you is clever and a smart idea, but I do feel the urge to clarify that it's via cropping and scaling a 1080p feed. The undoctored image is going to be a very wideangle 1080p image, and there's a slice from there, somewhere between 480p and 720p in resolution (would have to measure amount of travel to calculate). I don't have any problem with that, but I like to be exact, and I think saying the 'camera follows you' suggests the camera is moving, but it's completely static and it's the software that follows you - a distinction no-one else probably cares to make, but it does mean you don't get a 1080p image centred on you but a cropped one.

That's likely true but that's ok, it's a good thing. I don't know if anyone here has actually used skype from their couch via their tv. We've done it a bunch because I have a gaming pc hooked to the main tv, but most people probably skype via laptop, tablet, phone or desktop pc and hence very close to the video camera. Anyways point being one big problem with skyping via couch is that we end up looking tiny. The camera on our pc isn't smart so it just shows the entire field of view which is really wasteful because my wife and I end up being very small in such a view. You can manually crop, but then you can't move around the room either, and it doesn't support panning just "zoom' which is really a sensor crop. Kinect solves that because it can detect skeletons and crop the view to the relevant area even as you move around which is fantastic. You'll lose 1080p but it won't matter much because after skype realtime compresses and transmits the video over to the other user you never really have clear 1080p anyways even under the best of connections. Not to mention it's questionable if 1080p webcams can really resolve that amount of resolution anyways, just like many 1080p video cameras can't.

It's either "multiple takes" or simply that there's no auto-pause feature on switching apps, but rather that you need to pause the game if you want it to pause

Some (mostly online) games can't pause. Maybe that's the case here?

No. It's clearly due to the fact that the One doesn't work as intended and MS is just lying through scripted and fake demos hoping to fool the first 2 million people who rush out and buy it in two weeks before the truth actually comes out.

But in reality, it doesn't matter anyway because nobody is interested in these features. Nobody cares about TV integration or multi-tasking, and everybody is going to have the NSA Spycam disconnected anyway.

There are bits I like and bits I don't like. The execution is fabulously smooth and seamless. The style is dull and ugly. The Skype over video is very smart and what video calls really needs. The video tracking you is clever and a smart idea, but I do feel the urge to clarify that it's via cropping and scaling a 1080p feed. The undoctored image is going to be a very wideangle 1080p image, and there's a slice from there, somewhere between 480p and 720p in resolution (would have to measure amount of travel to calculate). I don't have any problem with that, but I like to be exact, and I think saying the 'camera follows you' suggests the camera is moving, but it's completely static and it's the software that follows you - a distinction no-one else probably cares to make, but it does mean you don't get a 1080p image centred on you but a cropped one.

I don't understand the multitasking aspect though. I don't see what's wrong with pressing a button to the menu and navigating to the desired app. Kinect seems gimmicky in that regard to me. It's not really adding to the experience, just changing the interface slightly. The speed advantage is irrelevant unless you spend your time hopping from game to TV to web browser to chat to game. A simple button press to the access the desired activity is fine.

The voice search for channels was very clever and valuable. No more scrolling through lists and trying to remember the channel number.

But all in all, I can't help but feel MS should have made a TV box rather than a console. If it's only using 1/10th of XB1's HW, they could have created a $150 solution that's just media and entertainment without the games. It'd have a lot more appeal and could work alongside any other console or device. Piggy-backing off the XBox console has just driven the cost up massively. I can only assume we'll see the TV box before too long once the launch is over. If MS could put the depth camera in a tablet and have a docking bay, they could be onto a winner.

You can do everything with the controller if you want, but why would you if the voice control is faster? I wouldn't be surprised to see that media box get released eventually for non-gamers. There were a lot of rumours. Maybe it won't happen, but it seems like an AppleTV type device could work out well. Maybe they can't get the price right since they're so tied into Kinect as part of this experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back