News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you already have the game on the launch page as the last thing you were doing, it's a button press, a few directional movements, and another button press. Compared to possibly having to say, "Xbox... Go Forza Motorsport 5" twice, the button is a more robust solution.

We'll see when the box is out whether gamers prefer to talk to their console or use old-school buttons. I could just be a dinosaur, unwilling to get with the times. ;)
For things like launching games that are already in the disc drive, it actually might be quite clumsier to use the voice and if the new features were about that simple fact, they wouldn't amount to anything.

However, if you are in a chat with a friend or listening to music in the background from time to time while you go somewhere, using Twitch and so on and so forth, then it can be useful.

For searches though voice commands run circles around using the gamepad for input. There is no comparison, it is a one horse race. That's from my experience with Kinect 1, I have it powered on all the time.

Finally had time to watch the 12min X1 dashboard tour...um...I have to say that I am impressed. I admit that the Kinect stuff is indeed quite cool for navigating.

The auto multi user login is magic imo...skype person tracking is sci fi style.

That's what I was most impressed by. That and the recognizing users by voice.

Makes me wonder though if there are any provisions for stopping:

"Xbox, show my stuff"
"NO. Xbox, show MY stuff"

The voice-control equivalent of fighting over the controller.

Or someone grabbing control of your console with voice commands during a multiplayer match or while your watching TV, etc..

AFAIK, this hasn't been addressed.

We have the first banned user of the new generation. He pre-ordered the console at Target and the console showed up early from Target at his box, so he opened the package, installed the day one patch -which weighs 500MB or so- and he posted pictures and a video on Youtube -which was removed by Microsoft- before he was imposed a ban.

https://twitter.com/Moonlightswami/status/399079605543243777

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/08/xbox-one-retail-unit-ebay-auction/?ncid=rss_truncated

Temporal ban, MN said he will be un banned the 22 nov.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11...-tons-of-screenshots-showing-ui-and-features/

Xbox One Supports Only 1080p or 720p Resolutions, no 1080i this time around. (thanks to Nucelargen for the news)

Xbox-One1080i-670x376.jpg

Major Nelson said months ago that the console supports 4k and 3D via HDMI, maybe the TV wasn't a 4k one and the console only displayed the "discovered" resolutions.

As for 1680x1050, it never worked for me before -my previous HDTV was 1680x1050 native- via HDMI although it was an option because the "Display Discovery" option worked well in that case. However, when trying to enable 1680x1050 the TV displayed a message saying "Mode not supported".

Nevertheless, with a VGA cable 1680x1050 worked like a charm on my previous TV and I really liked the overall picture quality. -it was also a good choice to decrease lag because the TV was running at its native resolution- (I remember the advice sebbbi gave me on the matter)

If you already have the game on the launch page as the last thing you were doing, it's a button press, a few directional movements, and another button press. Compared to possibly having to say, "Xbox... Go Forza Motorsport 5" twice, the button is a more robust solution.

We'll see when the box is out whether gamers prefer to talk to their console or use old-school buttons. I could just be a dinosaur, unwilling to get with the times. ;)

The cool stuff is when you have to do several things to get to whatever it is you want to do.
Xbox call grandma vs typing/scrolling to Skype, finding the contact and pressing call.

But I agree, the basic functions would often be faster with a controller. Simply because pressing a button takes fractions of a second and getting to the tile is also very quick. Add to this one failed voice commando and the controller wins hands down.

The basic commands are very fast, the xb1 knows those commands, but how will it react to natural language. Interesting stuff.

We have the first banned user of the new generation. He pre-ordered the console at Target and the console showed up early from Target at his box, so he opened the package, installed the day one patch -which weighs 500MB or so- and he posted pictures and a video on Youtube -which was removed by Microsoft- before he was imposed a ban.

https://twitter.com/Moonlightswami/status/399079605543243777

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/08/xbox-one-retail-unit-ebay-auction/?ncid=rss_truncated

Proof that Microsoft has a working xb1 live network :)

The basic commands are very fast, the xb1 knows those commands, but how will it react to natural language. Interesting stuff.
Thats it
Ive used siri & the google one and have seen quite a few other people using it.
Fun at first (seeing what it writes) but so unreliable that ultimately it is quicker typing it yourself (esp if you have swype)
But maybe thats cause we dont have american accent's?
Is kinect's voice recognition thing better than google/apples?

Other consoles connected via HDMI-In will play fine:

The word on the street was that it was technically possible due to the HDMI input of the Xbox One, but it would introduce significant lag. I asked Microsoft’s Jeff Henshaw if this was possible, and his answer surprised me.

“It is an extremely small lag that the human eye will not be able to perceive,” Henshaw said. So yes, it’s going to be very possible to play the PlayStation 4 using the Xbox One, and the lag, according to Microsoft’s engineer, will be very hard to detect. You could also hook up a Wii U and play the new Mario game, and then use voice commands to put that in the background and switch over to an Xbox One game without changing inputs.

Even Xbox 360:

In fact, he said, this is the way he and his son play Xbox 360 games at home; they have the system hooked up via the Xbox One so they can have fun with the new UI and still play Xbox 360 games. So he’s not speaking hypothetically, this is a working feature.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...at-the-xbox-one-will-be-able-to-drive-the-pla

Proof that Microsoft has a working xb1 live network :)
I didn't see it from that point of view. His gamertag is not banned, just his console, so as XpiderMX already pointed out, the ban should be lifted by 22th this month.

EDIT: I noticed that when I am utilising DLNA on the Xbox 360, my status says that I am using Xbox Music and Video.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could change that in the privacy settings.
With what? I don't mind if others see what I am doing, in fact I quite like it and I would like to have a more complete description when I am playing a game -i.e. Fighting the boss at Act 5 instead of (Playing Halo 3 on Legendary).

I am watching a nature documentary on the console and Youtube just says I am "Browsing videos". I am just confused as to why they changed this. I am fine with it, but they listed every single video you were watching before, if you allowed them to in your privacy settings.

I am going to keep the Xbox 360 not only for some games like Skyrim but for things like Youtube. It is not available at launch, and that's a bummer.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/195qkb1ha98eajpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Edit: This is how the new ban messages look

WZPF64S.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's running already like the demo it won't be faster than a quick list of last used apps, like Android has. That voice stuff is going to get old fast for basic stuff. It's a novelty now.
It seems like it'd be much quicker than booting up several devices with various remotes and faffing about in menus.

I do miss the "Xbox pause" command if I watch TV/a movie with another device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back