News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is related to Xbox One, and it is from a real person (name and face known):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87628981&postcount=1056

Kevint Dent talking about rumors, launch, and dev kit prices (including Xbox One).

And clarifying all the twitter messages.

Dent is kind of a lunatic. I once got in a protracted twitter argument with him because he was claimed that 100 Euros was less money than 100 USD related to the Xbox One pricing. Whatever inside information he may have, it's filtered through a pretty thick layer of self delusion.

He says eyeballs too much.
:p It sounds like he could give instructions on how to make people roll their eyes.

There are a few interesting tidbits, but I don't know what eyeballs means in the context. Does anyone know? Any help would be appreciated.

Dent is kind of a lunatic. I once got in a protracted twitter argument with him because he was claimed that 100 Euros was less money than 100 USD related to the Xbox One pricing. Whatever inside information he may have, it's filtered through a pretty thick layer of self delusion.

well, reading some tweets, it looks like he have some points.

attack the Messenger because he said something positive about xbox... check

attack the Messenger because he said something positive about xbox... check

I think you read that wrong, he "attacked him" because he thought that 100 euro was the same as 100 dollars. If you had a argument with someone being totally factual wrong and not wanting to see the facts how would you feel about the person?

And his post is fairly neutral about both consoles, it's not like he is putting any of them on a pedestal. His criticism of the HDCP crap on the PS4 is totally valid. The effects of it.. who knows, i don't even know if it was a problem for the 360 or PS3, but we saw a billion videos anyway.

I think you read that wrong, ....

I read it just fine.. I wasn't referring to the off topic commentary on another discussion regarding monetary values.

I was referring to the common practice lately of trying to discredit anyone who says something reasonable about the state of both machines and does not buy into the "lol xbone" mentality

I read it just fine.. I wasn't referring to the off topic commentary on another discussion regarding monetary values.
That commentary was presented as reason why Brad doesn't trust the comments of this Dent person. It's disingenuous to assume that every opinion is based on blind fanboy attitude or sheep-mentality following the 'bash MS' trend - why can't you just accept is as a personal opinion? Or better yet, not even waste your time talking about it? What's to be gained by stating that, "this opinion is formed from prejudiced attitudes"?

The credibility of Dent isn't really a decent discussion in the first place! It's a rumour and speculation for people to believe or ignore as they choose.

I think you read that wrong, he "attacked him" because he thought that 100 euro was the same as 100 dollars. If you had a argument with someone being totally factual wrong and not wanting to see the facts how would you feel about the person?

And his post is fairly neutral about both consoles, it's not like he is putting any of them on a pedestal. His criticism of the HDCP crap on the PS4 is totally valid. The effects of it.. who knows, i don't even know if it was a problem for the 360 or PS3, but we saw a billion videos anyway.

100 dollars are not the same than 100 euros until you are in europe and want to buy a $500 dollars console at €500 (now, $500 = €500).

100 dollars are not the same than 100 euros until you are in europe and want to buy a $500 dollars console at €500 (now, $500 = €500).

US prices are without tax, EU prices are with tax included (in general something between 20-25%)

the latest is that the os is a mess

Ok, first off: the origin of the rumor. I was contacted by someone claiming to be a dev. He told me a bunch of info. I had no idea if it was true or not. I know a lot of people really hate me currently so I was very weary that I was being trolled by a well-informed person. I was looking for other sources for hours. Nothing. And then I got partial verification from another dev (not that he/she disagreed with part, but only knew part and said it was 100% correct) and then at once I got verification by two people who have never wronged me. So this isn’t flimsy but I’m still filing it under rumor because, well, it is. But it isn’t.

I’m putting it all out on the line here. I enjoy breaking leaks but if this is wrong I’m fucked. I know this. This is how much I trust the people who have verified (and I hope for a CBoaT appearance).

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

He then said “If all you are doing is running a game and that’s the only app things are fine.”

So why do think things are going wrong?

“The system OS and network integration was written by a group of people who do not play games. They don’t understand why things were set up in the ways they were designed by J Allard back in ’05.”

So… what changed?

“Let me get into some technical detail regarding it – on 360, the OS handles all of the party and chat functionality. All you do is hook up the XBL VOiP OS API into your game, and it does most of the work for you. With it results in is a shared experience across multiple entertainment. If you’re watching movies or playing games, you can do it together. However, this system is entirely different on Xbox One. So, lets say me, you, and Thuway have xbox one’s that are online. We are signed in our profiles. Sitting at the home screen, we are considered to be in a “Xbox Party” on the server. There are no more ‘party leaders’. With that said if any one of us decide to start a game, the party is shifted over to that game’s party system. Each game now has their custom written VOIP.” (Pete note: shoutout to thuway!)

“In essence, it is almost EXACTLY how it was on the PS3, and it is in those API “handshakes” that is breaking the online experience.”

I asked if could be fixed soon. He said that anything is possible and Microsoft is obviously working on it but he thinks it will be months, not weeks. Getting online launch games certified is taking so long that it’s pushing games after launch back.

Talking to a different developer he says: “Yeah, getting anything online to work was a pain for months, barely worked at the very end of last month. Adding friends, sending game invites or even achievements’ toasts could be a nightmare. I don’t know that much outside of “my” project, but from what I saw in others, online was always a problem. No idea if this will still be an issue at launch though, I think it would be too much, but it looks like it won’t be flawless at all.”

As of now the Xbox One OS and XBL (the name for the XBL side of Azure is “Thunderhead”) are having major issues. Maybe it will be fixed in time, maybe it won’t. The obvious question to me was does this have to do with Microsoft reversing the DRM and having to strip it out (Pete note: That would partially make it my fault and I wouldn’t like that at all)?

“This was happening either way. This was built into the OS long ago. The DRM-removal clogged their pipelines somewhat, but this blockage was always there. It’s just simply a way they setup the VOIP API and how it would be handled. It was an oversight, not just voip, all of parties and network connectivity really.”

Ok, anything else?

“By the way, do not be surprised at the reaction you get from MS over this.”

Yeah, I know

Interesting. I expect problems at launch but not like that. Of course we don't know what verison of the os they have acess to , its obviously not the nov 22nd verison.

A few more tweets from famousmortimer

famousmortimer ‏@atPeteDodd 6m
@bessy67 A guy who absolutely is a dev told me this. Another dev also told me this. And then two more people who know verified it.

famousmortimer ‏@atPeteDodd 9m
@BruiserBear76 The fact that it's barely improved in months was given for the reason why it didn't seem a fix was imminent.

famousmortimer ‏@atPeteDodd 10m
@tbtunez How is the operating system and online infrastructure crashing not a big deal?

It seems to me everytime a xbox rumor comes from gaf its in response to a negative story or rumor about the other console. Or when there is positive story about the xbox one within hours there is a so called insider with a doom and gloom announcement. Just my opinion

It seems to me everytime a xbox rumor comes from gaf its in response to a negative story or rumor about the other console. Or when there is positive story about the xbox one within hours there is a so called insider with a doom and gloom announcement. Just my opinion

Console war never changes... :devilish:

I don't think it's a coincidence all things considered...:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back