News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arthur Gies @twitter:

e346902c_o.png

I imagine that the next gen versions of multi-platform games are ports of the PC version/engine so the embedded ram sticks out like a sore thumb for the X1 whereas the PS4 port should be fairly straight forward.

I imagine that the next gen versions of multi-platform games are ports of the PC version/engine so the embedded ram sticks out like a sore thumb for the X1 whereas the PS4 port should be fairly straight forward.

That's your logic but as far as I remember PC's usually have 2 types of ram DDR3 + GDdR5 on GPU and if you take some nvidia cards they have eDRAM on them, so how do you figure that port to PS4 is more straightforward?

Aren't most games for PC DirectX which is near identical code for Xbox where they have to use different for PS4

That's your logic but as far as I remember PC's usually have 2 types of ram DDR3 + GDdR5 on GPU and if you take some nvidia cards they have eDRAM on them, so how do you figure that port to PS4 is more straightforward?

Aren't most games for PC DirectX which is near identical code for Xbox where they have to use different for PS4

I have yet to see a Nvidia GPU that uses eDRAM could you please provide a example from anything recent?.

some nvidia cards they have eDRAM on them

No. They don't, unless you're considering typical cache blocks.

Also, this is not a Sony, PS4, or Versus thread so please leave those topics out of this thread.

Interesting laser focus on resolution and esram condemning, especially using the current generation as an example. Madden's first multiplat outing on the current gen had the highest resolution setting on the 360 (native and scaled?). Microsoft used it as a selling point in the marketing. Successive Madden's achieved parity once the architectures were understood. Curious that this time it is the silver bullet for the underpowered refrain rather than usual launch window necessity.

Actually, the 360 version ran at twice the framerate compared to the PS3 (60fps vs 30fps). It was simply a case of the hardware difficulty in developing for the ps3 (CELL) as well as the unfinished SDK.

That's what's so sad about the situation. The general narrative seems to be that it is because the system is not as powerful as the PS4 then that must be the reason when it seems more of the case that its a case of early software, under-developed SDK etc. MS seems late on the SDK side of things and while the esram presents much more flexibility compared to the edram on the 360, it has to be managed by the dev and as such, it isn't as "stress free" as the 360 implementation.

From the DF interview, the esram does seem like a genuine and interesting take on solving the bandwidth need of the system. I look for to software in mid to late 2014, especially as we are getting games like Ryse and F5.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what's so sad about the situation. The general narrative seems to be that it is because the system is not as powerful as the PS4 then that must be the reason when it seems more of the case that its a case of early software, under-developed SDK etc. MS seems late on the SDK side of things and while the esram presents much more flexibility compared to the edram on the 360, it has to be managed by the dev and as such, it isn't as "stress free" as the 360 implementation.

Early software , underdeveloped SDK ? Why ?
I mean what was Microsoft doing the last 2-3 years ? Certainly not games for 360 , that's for sure .

I mean what was Microsoft doing the last 2-3 years ? Certainly not games for 360 , that's for sure .

Irrespective of what the might or might not have been doing, it does not deny the present situation.

You need final silicon before you can finalise your (version 1) SDK and libraries. Depending on when MS got that, it could be a matter of months of having hardware to test the SDK on. On 28th of June we had a DF article saying
Now that close-to-final silicon is available, Microsoft has revised its own figures upwards significantly, telling developers that 192GB/s is now theoretically possible.
suggesting final silicon has only been around a few months.

Arthur Gies @twitter:

e346902c_o.png

Wait, let me get try to get this straight, this person Arthur Gies who was previously lambasted about having positive things to say about Xbox One on another forum is now to be believe by the other forum because now the message is possibly negative?

Wait, let me get try to get this straight, this person Arthur Gies who was previously lambasted about having positive things to say about Xbox One on another forum is now to be believe by the other forum because now the message is possibly negative?

Is it? Sounds like damage control against what he knows is coming and he is implying it us just launch games.

Sounds like you're missing the obvious situation of people only wanting to believe anything that reinforces their own preconceived notions.

Anyways, the easiest/quickest thing to do is to stay within the 32MB, and there's only so many configurations there.

Sounds like you're missing the obvious situation of people only wanting to believe anything that reinforces their own preconceived notions.

Sure but that isn't really news, its just the internet. Personally I view this as good news, as any rumors regarding performance of the XBO are attributed to familiarity/optimization of esram rather than any kind of inherent hardware issues.

Arthur Gies who was previously lambasted about having positive things to say about Xbox One on another forum is now to be believe by the other forum because now the message is possibly negative?
You think it's negative? I feel it's overall more positive. IMO he's indicating that launch issues are just temporary and have already been overcome for future titles.

He was lambasted for those 'positive things' before because they were all secret sauce bullshit. Now even he can't deny the flood of truth. Well, he did put a positive note at the end.

Anyways, we didn't need him to tell us ESRAM is fucking things up at launch..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back