Must-have PS3 exclusives

I wonder if the likes of Lair or Heavenly Sword (a game any PS3 user should at least try out.) would still be panned for their performance if they came out this year to be honest. Compared to critical darlings like Farcry 3, Assassin's Creed 3 or Skyrim, the framerate in both of these games is actually pretty damn stable. I also don't think the slightly excessive use of "next-gen" trickery in Lair is particularly noteworthy in a generation dominated by the UE3.

The problem with Heavenly Sword wasn't the framerate, it was the lack of interaction for a great deal of the game. I mostly remember cinematic sequences and little set pieces, with a really great fight at the end with a very impressive number of enemies. I'm ashamed to forget his name, but it was a b3d'er who coded that engine..

"Nao" was the developer. I remember his words defending the capabilities of RSX in PS3. By the way, it´s one of the few games in PS3 with 720p native res and MSAAx4.

Really, the problem with those games was (among others) the lack of knowledge of the real capabilities of the hardware, an unfriendly hardware if we have to believe several notable opinions around here.

If you ask me about Heavenly Sword I won´t be impartial simply because was the first game of the generation that I played and I was absolutely surprised with the beauty of its graphics, the art direction and the fantastic voice acting. The story was short, self-contained and, surprisingly, the end was no as many could expect, being in fact really pessimistic.

There were many comments about its game mechanics, being critisized its value as a hack & slash game. The game was conceived as a showcase for the platform, and in that respect their values were right. I believe that that the game is pretty even by today standard and in some points a real beauty, and interesting to play. The final combat was in fact terrific. The rest... I cannot complain. Too short maybe. But intense and very, very amusing. Their main character had a lot of personality, and it´s a shame that the IP hasn´t been continued yet. There was potential there. But it can be seen just in the opposite direction: the game remains as a hidden gem.

Definitely, it deserves at least a try.

I love Heavely Sword. Great game. Short as hell, but memorable characters, good graphics and overall good fun. I would play a sequel...

I never played Lair, may still try sometime as my son would love the dragons. Patsu back then liked the motion controls and rated it 7/10 btw. I did play Heavenly Sword and really enjoyed it, up to the end boss fight that is. Pretty short, but I really liked the 'after touch' effects, thought it looked wonderful, and some of the characters were fantastic.

I never played Lair, may still try sometime as my son would love the dragons. Patsu back then liked the motion controls and rated it 7/10 btw. I did play Heavenly Sword and really enjoyed it, up to the end boss fight that is. Pretty short, but I really liked the 'after touch' effects, thought it looked wonderful, and some of the characters were fantastic.

Btw, where is Patsu?

He's still around, but shifted his life priorities in favor of his family. ;)

Infamous 2 isn't half bad imo. Finally managed to start playing it and there is plenty to do there if you do side missions and find stuff around the city. I think I have easily over 15h in it so far and I think I'm not even close to the end. The main character is slightly more annoying than in the first game and sometimes the game is a bit sore for the eyes. In any case if the genre is not a downer, one should find this pretty cheaply nowadays.

edit: Patsu should pay us a visit :)

Have you tried Infamous 2 with Move controls? I loved them for the Festival of Blood standalone expansion (which comes highly recommended btw), and if I do get around to playing Infamous 2, I'll definitely do it with Move controls again.

Yes, point and 'shoot' is really convenient in a game where enemies can be in an x,y or z direction.

Back