Almost 3 Years And PS3's First Party Still Does Not Have A Killer App?

TEXAN*

Banned
vissicitudes said:
First let me preface by saying I'm a PS3-only owner, I'm a big Sony supporter, and this is not a PS3 hate thread, so please no trolling or console warz.

After thinking about it, really the PS3's only killer app right now is Metal Gear Solid 4. What do I mean by a killer app? It's pretty subjective, but I see it as a game that not only sells boatloads but also pushes a system. It is a game that people will buy a system just to play that one game. Most great games are not killer apps. Games such as Uncharted, Ratchet, LBP, Resistance, Motorstorm, Killzone 2, InFamous, etc. They are what I'll call "AA" games for lack of a better term, that are highly dependent on the size of the console base and do not push systems.

I see this as a big, big problem for Sony. Most people blame the PS3's lack of hardware/software sales on price, and they overlook this. Having a few killer apps would push tons of systems, build up a solid base, and then the other "AA" games will be able to piggyback off of that large userbase, which means more software sales, which offsets hardware losses, which means the console can be sold for less to expand the userbase even more.

Now, the main contention point: PS3's only killer app thus far is MGS4. While the PS3 has very strong exclusives, they aren't killer apps. Compare them to real killer apps on the 360 and Wii and you'll see what I mean.

Gears of War - sold 1 million 1st month in NPD (#1), pushed tons of units, 511k 360s sold, more than Wii's and PS3's sold in the month despite their launch months
Halo 3 - sold 3.3 million 1st month in NPD (#1), 360's sales doubled for the month and outsold the Wii
Gears of War 2 - sold 1.56 million 1st month (#1), pushed sales of 360 (along w/ pricecut) to more than doubled PS3's despite PS3 leading for the first half of the year

Mario Kart Wii - sold 1.12 million 1st month in NPD (#2), pushed Wii's to 714k or about twice the amount of 360 and PS3 combined in a month with GTAIV's debut.
Super Smash Bros - sold 2.7 million 1st month in NPD (#1), pushed Wii's to 721k, about 1.5 amount of 360 and PS3 combined
Wii Sports/Wii Play/Wii Fit - sold millions, obvious system sellers, slow burners so 1st month numbers not as useful here

Compare those with PS3's big hitters:

Uncharted - sold ~100k 1st month in NPD (out of top 10), didn't push systems (PS3 sales were up due to pricecut + holidays, still got outsold badly by Wii, 360, and even PS2)
LittleBigPlanet - 215k 1st month in NPD (#8), didn't push systems (PS3 sales only 190k, 1/2 of 360 and 1/4 of Wii)
Resistance 2 - 385k 1st month in NPD (#9), didn't push systems (PS3 less than 1/2 of 360 and less than 1/5 of Wii)
Killzone 2 - 323k 1st month in NPD (#5), didn't push systems (PS3 increased from 200k to 270k, small bump, still got outsold 3-2 by 360 and 3-1 by Wii)

MGS4 - sold 775k 1st month in NPD (#1), PS3 sales doubled from previous month, outsold 360 2-1

Clearly MGS4 is a killer app while the rest, unfortunately, are not.

Now, some people will blame it on the PS3's small userbase. However, Gears of War managed to sell 1 million on a small 360 userbase of about 3-4 million. Heck, Twilight Princess sold 412k on a Wii userbase of about 450k. So clearly that's not it. Killer apps will sell tons of copies (relatively) independent of the size of the userbase.

Others will blame PS3's high price. But again, Gears of War sold 1 million when the 360 was $399 at the time. MGS4 sold nearly 1 million and doubled sales on the same high-priced PS3. So it's not really about the price either.

Perhaps it is because of Sony's marketing. Or the timing of releases. Maybe if Killzone 2 released in November 2008 with a $50 price cut and better marketing it would have been a killer app. But as it stands it is not. For whatever the reason (quality of game, lack of marketing, etc.) Sony has not been able to produce a killer app for the PS3. It looks like the first Sony killer app will be Gran Turismo 5, which will probably release after the PS3 has been on the market for over 3 years. Isn't it a bit late by then?

Mod edit: Credit for above post to vicissitudes

Last edited by a moderator:
...I don't understood the sense of this topic :???: I though the success depending of the hardware marketing success and not for a simple k.a. game, just see the wii...and the k.a. on the ps2 exist because the ps2 hardware selling and not the opposite I knew.

I think it boils down to who bought the ps3.

I truly think a very large portion bought ps3 due to it being a cheap but high quality BR player.

Others bought it due to this factor along with it being a new games system, but they just aren't into games as much as they used to be, but the cost of the games portion was small enough to tack onto the BR price.

Now with BR costs coming down into the $200 price point, sales of ps3 are slowing.

This is my thesis on why software sales are so low on ps3. The percentage of owners that are "casual" gamers is very high.

I think it boils down to who bought the ps3.

I truly think a very large portion bought ps3 due to it being a cheap but high quality BR player.

Others bought it due to this factor along with it being a new games system, but they just aren't into games as much as they used to be, but the cost of the games portion as small enough to tack onto the BR price.

Now with BR costs coming down into the $200 price point, sales of ps3 are slowing.

This is my thesis on why software sales are so low on ps3. The percentage of owners that are "casual" gamers is very high.
Not exactly. The software sales and tie ratio of the games is proportional to media userbase and higher than the wii...

Wrong. The tie ratio of the games is proportional to media userbase and much higher then the wii...

Did you not just look at the OP?

Which game on that list sold a million in the first month?

Now go ahead and compare that to Gears 1 ... way back when there were less than 10 million xbox360's WORLDWIDE.

The OP has a point. There isn't a killer app that has pushed sales. KZ2 could have been ... it was close, but it was missing something.

Now go ahead and compare that to Gears 1 ... way back when there were less than 10 million xbox360's WORLDWIDE.

But you're getting mixed up here. We've been over this over and over and over, but you're saying that PS3 owners don't really buy games, and 3rd party sales don't bear this out. That they're not really drawn in by first-party games, yeah, you'd have something there, though we've discussed that before too, I think.

The OP has a point. There isn't a killer app that has pushed sales. KZ2 could have been ... it was close, but it was missing something.

I know the software selling on the ps3 and only the first parties not selling on the ps3.

But you're getting mixed up here. We've been over this over and over and over, but you're saying that PS3 owners don't really buy games, and 3rd party sales don't bear this out. That they're not really drawn in by first-party games, yeah, you'd have something there, though we've discussed that before too, I think.

We're talking about killer apps.

Something that makes people go to the store and plunk down hundreds of dollars to say "I want to play that, now".

With that said, where is the killer app?

As I said years back, the more expensive the price, the better that experience needs to be.

Others were talking LBP and Ratchet and Clank ... I knew neither of these would move a $400 box. Those are "kid" type apps that most wouldn't run to the store and drop that kind of cash.

KZ2 on the other hand could have been.

MGS4 did to some degree, but not significantly.

Point is it would have to be something outstanding and targeted to an audience that could afford to drop $400 on a box and a grand on a HDTV.

In proportion to their userbase, ps3 owners are hardly busting down the doors to buy games.

At the minimum, one can say the ps3 userbase is less gamer oriented than the xb360 userbase. I believe this is directly related to BR.

The gift and the curse.

We're talking about killer apps.

Something that makes people go to the store and plunk down hundreds of dollars to say "I want to play that, now".

With that said, where is the killer app?

As I said years back, the more expensive the price, the better that experience needs to be.

Others were talking LBP and Ratchet and Clank ... I knew neither of these would move a $400 box. Those are "kid" type apps that most wouldn't run to the store and drop that kind of cash.

KZ2 on the other hand could have been.

MGS4 did to some degree, but not significantly.

Point is it would have to be something outstanding.

Well, probably, sony missing how like to ps3 fan. I mean 'probably' with an huge imho: killzone 2 is a fps , when a fps is a k.a. on the playstation? LBP is a game 'atypical' and I'm not surpriesd of its flop...combined with higher price on the market well...I'm not so surprised of these results at the end.

In proportion to their userbase, ps3 owners are hardly busting down the doors to buy games.

At the minimum,one can say the ps3 userbase is less gamer oriented than the xb360 userbase. I believe this is directly related to BR.

The gift and the curse.

No. You are wrong. EA & Ubisoft report not said that, sorry.

Most people blame the PS3's lack of hardware/software sales on price, and they overlook this.

It's a relationship really.

The lower the price, the lower the bar to bring people to the store, thus a midly interesting title can move systems if they are cheap enough.

The more expensive the box, the more impressive the software will have to be.

SOCOM

As for traditional high sellers, R&C?

SOCOM & R&C ? :oops: Selling good but not surely k.a. The only is GT; it remains only the third parties on the playstation. Playstation = third parties in the past. This is the reason of the unsuccessful I though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Assurdum is saying games in general sell proportionally well on PS3, so it's not generally a problem with user base. Perhaps the games listed are unfamiliar, or miss the mark where the user base is concerned.

It is also possible that the PS3 audience is older, and hence more busy and less likely to impulse buy unless the game managed to recall their childhood gaming experience. It could also mean that the audience balances their purchase in both Blu-ray movies and games, etc.

It means the game launched at the right time, was marketed well, and resonate with the user base.

You have to look at all the software to characterize the user base. A particular game like KZ2 may have its own inherent issues (see related KZ2 thread) that made it perform less than expected. LBP has a revolutionary but hard work mechanics; it is said to have long legs, and sell DLCs very well. R2 dissappointed its fans by changing the core gameplay; the backlash and inconsistent visual quality diluted its impact. Uncharted may be too new (and doesn't stand out to the hardcore players who may be looking for a different theme). Let some of these games run for 1-2 more rounds and we should be able to see clearer what they truely are.

No. You are wrong. EA & Ubisoft report not said that, sorry.

OK, well as of this months NPD we have:

32 titles that sold over 20k on xb360
17 for ps3

We also have many great ps3 games that were pushed with marketing dollars and were critically acclaimed, yet again, not one title pushed through a million in the first month.

Conversely, we have Gears that pushed through a million and grew from there on a userbase about half the size of ps3's current.

Back