Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I have thought about this. I think Microsoft now has an opportunity to get back on top if they price Scoprio low enough. Scorpio launching at $399 would really Sony in a tough bind.
MS was never on top though. US market only.

Yeah I have thought about this. I think Microsoft now has an opportunity to get back on top if they price Scoprio low enough. Scorpio launching at $399 would really Sony in a tough bind.
Like how the Zune destroyed the iPod. :yep2:

For Microsoft to eclipse Sony in this weird two-phase generation, Sony either have to lose millions and millions of customers to Microsoft or Microsoft have to attract millions and millions of customers while Sony does not. How is Scorpio going to achieve this? People with a PlayStation will have an investment in the ecosystem. People without either console will now suddenly buy Scorpio where they hadn't bought a One, PS4, One S, Slim or Pro because....... why?

Where is this massive market increase coming from?

256-bit wide buses have been in use for around 10 years. They're the norm. Also Microsoft can't really put slow RAM in there because they're targeting 320Gb/s bandwidth. What is this cheap RAM you refer too?
IT doesn't really matter how long buses have been in use. It depends on how many layers they need to add to the pcb and the amount of traces. This isn't a chip that they just buy and thel onger its been in production the cheaper it is.

Selling at a loss is one thing, selling low with the intention of land grabbing market share is not. That's what BRiT proposed and that is the essence of predatory pricing.
what other reason is there to sell at a loss than to gain market share ? WTF are you even saying right now.

THe ps1 , ps2 and ps3 were all sold at a loss to increase market share. So was the xbox and xbox 360 . The only console maker who doesn't seem to do this is Nintendo

IT doesn't really matter how long buses have been in use. It depends on how many layers they need to add to the pcb and the amount of traces. This isn't a chip that they just buy and thel onger its been in production the cheaper it is.
Well this is much precedent for technology and implementation of technology getting cheaper with age because of efficiencies learned from experience of having deployed said technology over time. But what do I know, I'm just a paid up member of the IEEE.

what other reason is there to sell at a loss than to gain market share ? WTF are you even saying right now.
Well there is preventing declining market share, maintaining market share, increasing market share and trying to grab market share through anti-competetive practices. I was only addressing the latter. On reflection I don't think that is what BRiT meant to imply but he can speak for himself.

Like how the Zune destroyed the iPod. :yep2:

For Microsoft to eclipse Sony in this weird two-phase generation, Sony either have to lose millions and millions of customers to Microsoft or Microsoft have to attract millions and millions of customers while Sony does not. How is Scorpio going to achieve this? People with a PlayStation will have an investment in the ecosystem. People without either console will now suddenly buy Scorpio where they hadn't bought a One, PS4, One S, Slim or Pro because....... why?

Where is this massive market increase coming from?

I just think Scoprio launching at $399 would be extremely competitive just from a hardware perspective....but also I think Xbox's rolling compatibility will be enticing to a lot of people. I still have Xbox 360 and the fact that some of the games I own will be there in my library playable on Scorpio is nice.

I didn't think they'd do illegal things, but to just use the prior pricing strategies (razor and razor blade model) that Sony and MS used where the hardware is sold at a loss because that enables them to make a profit from software sales to many more consumers.

I just think Scoprio launching at $399 would be extremely competitive just from a hardware perspective....but also I think Xbox's rolling compatibility will be enticing to a lot of people. I still have Xbox 360 and the fact that some of the games I own will be there in my library playable on Scorpio is nice.

$399 would be competitive but I'm not seeing an immediate reason why Scorpio will result in a sudden market share shift. Compatibility is an arguable point now but I do think it'll be important in the future as people gradually build larger and larger libraries of games.

$399 would be competitive but I'm not seeing an immediate reason why Scorpio will result in a sudden market share shift. Compatibility is an arguable point now but I do think it'll be important in the future as people gradually build larger and larger libraries of games.

Microsoft has been slowly building up Xbox 360 compatibility library and all Xbox One games will BC automatically on Scorpio. I think they are stealthily "locking" a lot of people into the Xbox ecosystem now but people don't truly realize it..

The best performance for multiplatform games could win them some market share if they can achieve that for not too much of a price difference. But the question will be if it makes up for coming a year late. We also don't know how well VR is going to do in the system. Additional performance there could help too if it just happens yo go mainstream around that time.

Well you've not 'locked' but it's like switching from iOS to Android or Windows to Mac, it requires a hefty software re-investment. No doubt the same thought has occurred to Sony.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you've not 'locked' but it's like switching for iOS to Android or Windows to Mac, it requires a hefty software re-investment. No doubt the same thought has occurred to Sony.
It's going to be interesting. All indications point towards a PS5 that will be a clean break without compatibility...at least from what you can glean from Cerny's comments. Meanwhile if Microsoft continues to expand 360 compatibility library and gets original Xbox compatibility going as well they would have nearly their entire xbox library available on Scoprio by the time PS5 releases.

It's going to be interesting. All indications point towards a PS5 that will be a clean break without compatibility...at least from what you can glean from Cerny's comments. Meanwhile if Microsoft continues to expand 360 compatibility library and gets original Xbox compatibility going as well they would have nearly their entire xbox library available on Scoprio by the time PS5 releases.

Yes, I've be posting for a while that I think Microsoft have a more promising long-term strategy in terms of persistent software libraries thanks to Xbox and Windows, DirectX and UWP. It's messy now but they're in transition. It's promising that games on One S just run better a bit better than One suggesting more elegant (and bullet proof) abstraction without any problems. Of course the numbers are on Sony's side but if Sony screw up a generational transition that's enough reason to consider Xbox. If Xbox brings it's software library across generations in future that's a bigger and bigger library to write off in terms of people wiling to leap into PlayStation from Xbox.

I'm sure PS5 will be compatible with PS4 unless AMD collapses somehow and nobody saves it (unreasonable).
Reading the eurogamer article on PS4 Pro where they interviewed Mark Cerny it seems that both from a "philosophical" perspective and technical perspective PS5 would be a clean break an entirely new generation.

They aren't going to change architecture away from x86 just for the fun of it. If PC-like remains the sensible choice, there should be an element of hardware compatibility. It'd then be down to Sony to provide a semi-BC solution if possible and appropriate. That said, even the moderate changes of the Pro have revealed firect hardware compatibility isn't realistic and an abstraction is necessary.

I mean, are people really going to look to play their PS3/360 era games on the next gen?

By then those games will be at least 5-6 years old?

I mean, are people really going to look to play their PS3/360 era games on the next gen?

By then those games will be at least 5-6 years old?
no substitute for a good game. It's true it's not like novels, where good books last the time of time. More like classic cars, where you don't have all the bells and whistles of the modern day, but you can still appreciate and enjoy the car that it is.

Like I'm err 'privileged' ?" lol" to be still driving a non power assisted steering car. I mean, how many people can enjoy that level of ... steering? Right. Old Games are sort of like that.

256-bit wide buses have been in use for around 10 years. They're the norm.

Actually, 256-bit wide buses have been in use on consumer graphics cards for around 14 years. Since the ATI R300 / Radeon 9700, in mid-to-late 2002. The Matrox Matrox Parhelia had a 256-bit bus also (it couldn't be used very well as they lacked the tech to make the most of the resulting bandwidth) but anyway..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/947/2
http://www.anandtech.com/show/947/3

The R300 chip itself has over 1,000 pins, more than AMD’s forthcoming ClawHammer CPU. Part of the reason for the increase in pin count is the move to a 256-bit memory bus, but a good number of those pins are power delivery pins to feed the massive chip.

Like the Matrox Parhelia, the R300 supports a 256-bit DDR memory bus made up of four individual load-balanced 64-bit memory controllers à la NVIDIA’s Crossbar architecture.

• 0.15-micron GPU
• 110+ million transistors
• 8 pixel rendering pipelines, 1 texture unit per pipeline, can do 16 textures per pass
• 4 programmable vect4 vertex shader pipelines
• 256-bit DDR memory bus
• up to 256MB of memory on board, clocked at over 300MHz (resulting in a minimum of 19.2GB/s of memory bandwidth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back