Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll see the windows store and xbox one store as they are now. It's just that games will be single platform (uwp) from the start.

It does sound like the Xbox UI will be coming to Windows at some point though. Will probably be called "TV Mode" or something.

I thought it was announced a while ago that the "anniversary" addition of the W10 update would merge both the windows and xbox stores into one?

Partnership with Oculus would be smart.

I'd consider it almost inevitable. They certainly need VR capability to compete with Sony moving forwards and they already have a partnership with Oculus with regards to the control pad. That could well have been an early move to lay the groundwork for OR compatibility with Xbox. It's be great news for PC gamers too since it means much more developer support for the Rift (and hopefully other headsets) thanks to it's bigger market penetration and Microsoft exclusives.

Then why call it "xbox 10 tflop"? Also: no way it will actually have 10tflop this coming spring. No fucking way.
He never called it that, he said possibly 1.5 or whatever their going to call it. Paraphrasing.
someone mentioned 10tf in chat, he said he had no idea of the power etc.

I still like the idea of an Xbox Mini for streaming movie & games to other TVs in the house. Hopefully it's a full Win10 device. $100 seems like a lot, but it's likely to be competing against the Amazon Fire TV @ $100, Roku 4 @ $130 & Apple TV 4thgen @ $150. Will be interesting to see if they provide a full controller or media remote. Considering the rumor that the XB1 is getting a new default controller at E3. Maybe it has a built-in microphone for use with the new Cortana support coming this summer?

As for the rest of the rumors, about what I expected. Will be interesting to hear about the silicon in the Slim & whether or not the CPU/GPU have been shrunk or if they reduced the rest of the components & placed in a smaller enclosure. Hopefully they support a vertical orientation. Doubt we'll hear anything about XB2(too far out for that), but if it's more capable than the Neo, it wouldn't surprise me if somebody leaks some more details out.

Tommy McClain

And another story today. Everything seems to be leaking:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774294/xbox-one-slim-one-two-scorpio

Microsoft has two new Xbox consoles on the horizon, according to reports on Kotakuthat Polygon has corroborated with its own sources. Those sources also told Polygon that one of those new consoles will be over four times more powerful than the current Xbox One and that the announcement at E3 was triggered by, among other things, a faster-than-expected timeline for Sony’s own upgraded PlayStation 4. The other console, a slimmed-down version of the current hardware, will also be getting a redesigned controller.

Eh, seems a bit jumbled to me. The last bit states that the XB1 slim is also 4k capable (I guess really all that is needed is HDMI2.0?). It would make a bit of sense, as it would give people a reason to upgrade even while announcing scorpio was coming down the pike quickly.

I'm more interested in why the leaks are being allowed to happen today. Its nice to do it on a Wednesday so there's two news cycles plus it can dominate weekend news traffic, but we're still three weeks away from E3 and it seems like even it all of these rumors are true (even tflops!!!!!!), by letting the news out now and only confirming at E3, MS will once again "lose E3" in the eyes of many because they didn't announce anything that wasn't already known for weeks.

Eh, seems a bit jumbled to me. The last bit states that the XB1 slim is also 4k capable (I guess really all that is needed is HDMI2.0?). It would make a bit of sense, as it would give people a reason to upgrade even while announcing scorpio was coming down the pike quickly.

I'm more interested in why the leaks are being allowed to happen today. Its nice to do it on a Wednesday so there's two news cycles plus it can dominate weekend news traffic, but we're still three weeks away from E3 and it seems like even it all of these rumors are true (even tflops!!!!!!), by letting the news out now and only confirming at E3, MS will once again "lose E3" in the eyes of many because they didn't announce anything that wasn't already known for weeks.

Lol... you can't really think that MS cares about this? Nobody really cares about who "wins" or "loses" E3. Only what the pre-orders look like in the weeks after the show ;-)

Those sources also told Polygon that one of those new consoles will be over four times more powerful than the current Xbox One and that the announcement at E3 was triggered by, among other things, a faster-than-expected timeline for Sony’s own upgraded PlayStation 4.

The other console, codenamed Scorpio, is unlikely to be released until late 2017, according to Polygon's sources. It will likely be announced in the next month, though plans are somewhat in flux. Like the all-but-confirmed PS4 "Neo," Scorpio represents an evolution of console generations, one that straddles the line somewhat between an entirely new installment of the Xbox platform and a continuation of the existing Xbox One.

Power is a primary concern for Microsoft with Scorpio. The PS4 has remained a constant leader over the Xbox One in this respect, with games on the platform usually running at higher resolution and a higher framerate on the PS4 than their Xbox One counterparts. Microsoft is determined to end this narrative.

The Xbox One is believed to operate a peak target of 1.32 teraflops, compared to the 1.84 teraflop performance numbers attributed to the PS4. Meanwhile, per documents secured by Giant Bomb's Austin Walker — and corroborated by our sources — the PlayStation 4 "Neo," at approximately 2.25 times more powerful than the PS4, is likely to have a peak performance number of 4.14 teraflops.

The current performance target for Microsoft's Scorpio is approximately 6 teraflops.

6 Tflops GPU in 2017 at a reasonable (edit: console crowd affordable) price point?

I'll believe it when I see it, thank you very much.

As a secondary SKU, considering it would have full BC/FC it could work. For a price.

(not that I believe any rumors, ever)

6TF is more reasonable. Even then slightly not realistic, it still makes owning a pascal 1080 quite foolish imo. 900 CAD vs a complete 6TF console at significantly cheaper price. Hard to justify these GPUs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the slim will be "40% smaller" according to Tom Warren. Would put it a smidgen smaller than the PS4 in volume...

XB1- 343mm x 80mm x 263mm = 7216.72 cm^3 - 40% = 4330.03 cm^3
PS4 - 275mm x 53mm x 305mm = 4445.38 cm^3

EDIT:
Our sources also confirm that this will be the smallest Xbox ever made.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774294/xbox-one-slim-one-two-scorpio

Couldn't find 360 E dimensions(looks the same as the 360 S)..

270mm x 75mm x 264mm = 5346 cm^3

Tommy McClain

Last edited:
Lol... you can't really think that MS cares about this? Nobody really cares about who "wins" or "loses" E3. Only what the pre-orders look like in the weeks after the show ;-)

I think they will in so much they hope to get the bad taste out of their mouth from E3 2013. Good press(wins) will in turn give them good pre-orders.

Tommy McClain

I ll pretend that comment about the 6Tflops doesnt exist cause its BS

But I am pretty sure that if Sony was offered the chance to make the PS4 more powerful in the cheaper manufacturing process, the same opportunity was also present for MS.

Eh? Are those two comments meant to go together?

The article states the NEO is predicted at just over 4Tflops and that scorpio is "targeting" 6Tflops, and is also set to release some time later - 6 months maybe at earliest?

And aren't we seeing Sony's response to being offered the chance to make the PS4 more powerful in a cheaper manufacturing process with the NEO?

Microsoft targeting 6Tflops for a new console released in fall 2017 seems believable. It would basically put them over the neo (assuming it's ~4.2Tflops) by the same relative performance difference as PS4 is to Xbox One.

If true with 6 tflops I'd be very surprised if there is cross-compatibility in both directions (that would be stupid). I expect software emulated BC (like X360 on XB1), not 100% hardware. And obviously Scorpio games won't be able to run on XB1. It doesn't look like a Xbox 1.5, more like the true successor of Xbox One.

Call it a second pillar if you want...for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back