Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I say this but I think they are "adding" bandwidth there.
They are not giving individual bandwidth figures for CPU, GPU or memory type.

Quite likely but over 200 GB/s is still more than the previously rumored 170 GB/s.

So, which got bumped up? Memory or eSRAM or something else that isn't being accounted for in the VGLeaks information?

Regards,
SB

Just listened again. He definitely said over 200GB/s in the memory subsystem, fwiw. The 2Gb/s was for Kinect data transfer.

I'll believe that when I see some hard data, is it possible they have upped the clocks on the esram?

Let's hope for gaming's sake they have used 6t sram, some GCN 2.0 action wouldn't go amiss either.
Over all I'm under whelmed, it looks to me they pushed back the reveal to change the marketing, to counter the ps4 they concentrated on cloud computing to inflate the performance and give them something to gush about to the media.
I'm not convinced any of this cloud mumbo jumbo will make much of a difference in the next 18 months, by which time it's competitor will have a substantial IQ/resolution advantage.

The only thing I'm still quite interested in is what type of sram it is using, what the bandwidth is for both sram and total system, latency savings over gddr5.. Oh kinect seems to be really advanced and included in every box.

I'm eager to see what games will look like between the two.

@expletive & Silent_Buddha

Or they are rounding it.
Given that they are not telling us anything about the actual specs it sounds strange to throw in the bandwidth but not say word about the actual memory type, the actual amount of ESRAM, etc...

These 200GB/s come from where?
Nowhere for what they tell us.
Have I not read VGleaks I would've guessed they are using GDDR5 but hey they din't say word onit.

They are saying "Xbone has 200GB/s bandwidth" but that is really as nebulous as "PS4 has around 2TF" from AMD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite likely but over 200 GB/s is still more than the previously rumored 170 GB/s.

So, which got bumped up? Memory or eSRAM or something else that isn't being accounted for in the VGLeaks information?

Regards,
SB

Maybe they're adding in certain cache bandwidths, or it's an "effective" bandwidth number accounting for the Move engines.

Also, it appears Kinect 2.0 is basically what Microsoft wanted for Kinect before they ended up licensing some of the tech from another company.

So in theory, despite Kinect 2.0 being far more capable than Kinect 1.0, it's entirely possible that the cost for Microsoft will have gone down since there is at least one less middleman adding to the cost.

Regards,
SB

From the vgleak diagram, the "memory subsystem" block has a sum of bandwidth of 102(esram) + 68(ddr3) + 30(CPU) == 200.
If the GPU can read from all 3 sources at once, the creative maths adds up. Or they counted the move engines (which wouldn't be very honest).

Obviously but it still leaves roughly 40GB/s unaccounted for from what we know.

68GB/s + 102GB/s = 170GB/s from leaks

So 30GB/s, maybe they increased the clock on the eSRAM? There isn't really any headroom on the DDR3. Maybe he is just counting the same bandwidth twice, like adding the Move engine bandwidth and some other stuff to the other numbers.

Also, it appears Kinect 2.0 is basically what Microsoft wanted for Kinect before they ended up licensing some of the tech from another company.

So in theory, despite Kinect 2.0 being far more capable than Kinect 1.0, it's entirely possible that the cost for Microsoft will have gone down since there is at least one less middleman adding to the cost.

Regards,
SB

Disappointed they didn't have any Kinect gameplay or tech demos to show how much better it actually is. Considering the way it resolves the depth buffer is totally different, it would have been nice to see.

I don't think they countered their opponent at all.. they really acted like they didn't even exist. The second presenter should have showed us him PLAYING Forza then going back to movie. All the presenters should have had gamers come on stage and play the games in front of us... Much like their WP8 reveal with Kids corner, they make interesting presentation choices which their core doesn't really get...

MS had all the cards in their hands and still didn't know what to do with them.

That said I do like the all in one feature set of the box... I'm more interested in the tech than the games these days. I'll probably sell my 360 in the next week or so.

'Phase change' heat sink sounds fancy. That's the thing that sounded waaay space age and fancy for a console in 2013 during the WiiU hardware speculation, right?

20130514-XBOX-ONE-004-660x440.jpg

Is it my imagination or are the buttons extremely shallow?

Looks like the buttons on Razer's 360 controllers - that's a good thing, they're far more responsive, tactile and less mushy to press that the regular controller's buttons.

So did Ken Kutaragi, only he called it the "grid". Cloud processing is a total red herring they're using to justify the online verifications that are happening.

The difference being the #1 software company in the world with billions vested into Cloud Computing or Krazy Ken and Krew that didn't have a fuckin clue about software as evident by the abortion that was PSN when it launched.

From the vgleak diagram, the "memory subsystem" block has a sum of bandwidth of 102(esram) + 68(ddr3) + 30(CPU) == 200.
If the GPU can read from all 3 sources at once, the creative maths adds up. Or they counted the move engines (which wouldn't be very honest).

Yeah, like reading from the L2 cache on the CPU. I think it's a ginned up number. That's more likely than a 30% overclock on the SRAM.

If they are using 6T eSRAM, though this hasn't been confirmed and I haven't seen it from any of the leaks, they've spent more silicon on an individual pool of memory than they have on their entire GPU.

@expletive & Silent_Buddha

Or they are rounding it.
Given that they are not telling us anything about the actual specs it sound strange to throw in the bandwidth but not say word about the actual memory type, the actual amount of ESRAM, etc...

If they were rounding it up they wouldn't have said over 200 GB/s. About 200 GB/s or nearly 200 GB/s or something else like that would have been the statement. But using the over X amount terminology means they are actually rounding down.

Maybe they're adding in certain cache bandwidths, or it's an "effective" bandwidth number accounting for the Move engines.

Those are certainly possibilities. I'm just curious as to what constitutes that bandwidth number. While completely unlikely, it's possible they could have gone with lower speed GDDR5 for a small bump in bandwidth. Lower speed GDDR5 would also be cheaper than what Sony is likely using for the PS4. Personally, I don't think this is the case and IMO wouldn't make sense if you wanted the console to be cheaply manufactured 4 years from now.

Widening the cache bus by adding more cache would work as well, but I'd imagine that would be fairly expensive. As well, doubling it to 64 MB would also potentially increase that to 272 GB/s. At which point I'd imagine they'd be more likely to round it and say up to 300 GB/s. Perhaps upping it to 48 MB of eSRAM? That could in theory just up the combined bandwidth to 221 GB/s which would be over 200 GB/s. But again, expensive and that would require a significant change in silicon making it extremely unlikely.

Perhaps one of the media outlets will be able to weasel out some more information in the next few hours while they are presumably getting more information from Microsoft.

Regards,
SB

maybe they doubled the ESRAM to 64 MB? That would take care of the "missing transistors" and the memory bandwidth.

If they invest 3.2B trannies to EDRAM and less than half that for the GPU, I'll go down there and choke them myself. (kidding of course, but wow would that be stupid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back