Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Rage's megatextures were a kind of PRT implementation?
Yes, but Rage has a pure software virtual texture implementation. We have a similar software virtual texture implementation also in Trials Evolution (x360 game). Hardware PRT is more efficient than software implementation (and also more easy to utilize efficiently, because you don't need huge indirection textures to have large enough address space). Just like Carmack, I have been waiting to get this feature to the hardware. And it seems that it's finally becoming true :)

I think that's the point. If you are making a play for the living room then it helps if you make it as similar as possible to other A/V components that you normally see an A/V cabinet.

Yes, but it doesn't have to be boring - the 360S design was much more interesting and still looked like a premium device (and one that should be mistaken for your set top box/DVR/Bluray player etc)

Sony's PS4 design looks like it'll be more interesting from the few glimpses we've seen.

Just listened again. He definitely said over 200GB/s in the memory subsystem, fwiw. The 2Gb/s was for Kinect data transfer.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-004-660x440.jpg

Is it my imagination or are the buttons extremely shallow?

6 transistors per bit.
6 * 8 * 1024 * 1024 * 32 = 1.6 billion
and that's just for the cells, from what I understand, there's a big additional overhead to make a complete array and interface it.
there's also a defect management necessary.

Sorry if I say this but I think they are "adding" bandwidth there.
They are not giving individual bandwidth figures for CPU, GPU or memory type.

Only way the specs make sense is if they plan on eventually moving the eDRAM off die to stacked memory to save costs, if that even saves any money. Otherwise the PS4 design is a much better use of the transistor budget.

Not really sure what they were thinking.

Not's not forget the total system bandwidth of the 360 according to Major Nelson.

This guy is talking about operations per clock in one breath, and then memory subsystem bandwidth in the next. This is not Majornelson.

Sorry if I say this but I think they are "adding" bandwidth there.
They are not giving individual figures for CPU, GPU or memory type.

Obviously but it still leaves roughly 40GB/s unaccounted for from what we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back