Killzone 2 pre-release discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, back to that E3 nobody thought we would get it 4 years later !
Cliffy b. demoed Gears, Sony showed KZ2 ans I really thought both games would release almost at the same time.
For me, the funny thing is I could have been overhyped by that gameplay demo but the infamous trailer destroys that. All I have in mind is "not as good as the trailer." If they had shown only gameplay from the beginning, I'd probably be considering buying a PS3 for KZ !

It WILL!, even at this early stage it already match the E3 trailer. In fact, I say this right now, the final version of Killzone 2 WILL surpass the 2005 E3 trailer.

Trust me

It cannot surpass 2005 E3 KZ2 trailer or even match what the KZ2 trailer does technically. Not counting the extreme IQ of the trailer, the whole thing is CGI, the models aren't using any sorts of mapping they are fullblown 1-10 million polygon models. You simply cannot match something like that technically, it would be rendered at 0,1 fps if you tried, you can however fake the same level of detail with reasonable success.

I think many people here underestimate the power of the PS3. I mean just look at the PS2, if sony show a trailer of God War 2 back in 1999 would people believe that the PS2 is capable of producing visual like GoW2?

You never know, the PS3 is capable of far more than you think:smile:. The 2005 E3 trailer look great, but nothing that the PS3 can't achieve or surpass.:smile:

I think many people here underestimate the power of the PS3. I mean just look at the PS2, if sony show a trailer of God War 2 back in 1999 would people believe that the PS2 is capable of producing visual like GoW2?

You never know, the PS3 is capable of far more than you think:smile:. The 2005 E3 trailer look great, but nothing that the PS3 can't achieve or surpass.:smile:

Dude we aren't underestimating anything, you would be lucky if you could do 5million polygons on screen at 60fps with a PS3. One of those gunships alone has 10++ million polygons. You do the math. Its impossible. Even if you took the top 5 developers from the top 50 dev teams and made a superdev team, they would never achieve that same detail. The hardware cannot keep up.

You know the polycount for a car in GT5P? 200k maximum. If the PS3 was capable of doing the KZ2 in realtime each car in GT5 would have 100 times the polygon count. And considering that Polyphony Digital is without doubt one of the best developers out there when it comes to graphics, i think this say everything that has to be said in this case.

Its not impossible to make a game that would fool you to believe it was just as good as the trailer (unless you really go in detail and study things bit for bit), but thats completely different.

In your example with GoW 2 thats compeltely different, while GoW2 looks very nice considering the hardware, everything it does is within its theoretical limits.

Anyways, this has been debated to death here, and everybody who knows anything all keep saying its impossible to match what the CGI trailer does technically. Practically its plausible (atleast close enough for fanboys to think they matched a trailer when they didn't), because you art and shaders can do alot to hide imperfections...

Yes, this discussion is a dead end. The exact achievements of the CG trailer won't be accomplished, full stop. The look and feel is the target, and in that respect GG are doing very well.

[modhat]Anyone persisting in saying PS3 will achieve the technical accomplishments of the offline rendered CGI will have their words deleted as noise, along with any follow-ups. It was three years ago! Talk about the game for what it is now, what is or is not being achieved.[/modhat]

Aiight ! Here's a MUCH better version of the trailer: http://www.filefactory.com/file/371b1b/ (133Mb .mov 720 x 405)

I can see the post processing (optical effects) clearer now. It is indeed a beauty to behold.
If you only watch one KZ2 video, see this one.

EDIT: Just watched it again. Guys, I am not kidding.

EDIT 2: Don't get too hung up over the E3 2005 trailer. I think it's irrelevant now. They have changed the look. I think I like the new look better (because it has gameplay element). YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there one on US PSN ? I checked yesterday but couldn't find it. This one is played by someone in the show (judged by background noise). I don't think it's the same.

Is there one on US PSN ? I checked yesterday but couldn't find it. This one is played by someone in the show (judged by background noise). I don't think it's the same.

Yeah, most everything from the press conference is. When you're at the EU or AU store, go to new content, then Playstation Day, then Playstation Day videos and they'll have about 8 or so videos there. I overlooked them because its a submenu and I didn't realize that. The Playstation day videos will be the first of the 5 links in the Playstation Day group.

Quality is great, by the way, of the videos on PSN. If, however, you have little patience for Reeves, as I do, be prepared to fast forward. :D

EDIT

Its the trailer that's up on PSN, not someone playing. I thought the video you linked was a trailer. But there is a high quality, direct feed, trailer there if you're interested.

I can't find the trailers anywhere. The playstation day menu is completely empty.:???: So far I really hate the new store.

Not really, I can't see any icons in the playstation day menu. I can't even select anything where the icons are supposed to be.

:/ UK store?

Anyway you're better getting the trailers from Gamersyde (ripped from these conference videos) since there's far too much padding in the Store versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back