Killzone 2 pre-release discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the game :D ! Just played the initial two levels (am on the second one right now) and I must say - THIS IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN ! and I mean it................I had played the demo but nothing prepares you for what you are going to see........

i had seen countless videos, but had never imagined it would be THIS beautiful. In the second level, it looks as if it is rendered :D ! The lighting on the gun is something to behold and the guns themc=selves have such distinct feels ! The gameplay is rocking, very chaotic, very intense. Most of the chaos and intensity comes from the Most awesome sound design to ever to be implemented in a game. Its insane how many sounds you hear at once. The place is Just alive :oops: !!!
I had never thought that Killzone will Wow me more than MGS4, but it has.............and it has broken the roof! I don't think any game will be this beautiful for a loooooooong time !

THIS GAME IS SICK :devilish: !

If you read the info....this one is different:

I never said the ad would be rendered in 1080p. In fact from the beginning i assumed that the 1080p video file is just upscaled from 720p. I just said that i'm not sure.

I did the ironical 'bullshot' statement because you said:

There is no Killzone 2 1080p engine.

Isn't that phrased technically pretty wrong? I mean, yes, the game/ad probably doesn't run at 1080p. But what should stop the 'engine' from running at 1080p?

What you said sounded as if it wouldn't be possible to render the ad in 1080p because the engine would be limited to 720p.

I assume this is pretty wrong.

PS: while discussing about this, i remembered this: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1243496&postcount=6

I got the game :D !

Could you report to which output resolution the game defaults when 720p, 1080i and 1080p are all checked in the XMB? If it defaults to 720p, is it possible to force 1080i/1080p anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you report to which output resolution the game defaults when 720p, 1080i and 1080p are all checked in the XMB? If it defaults to 720p, is it possible to force 1080i/1080p anyway?

That has been answered for a while, in this thread. The answer is yes, 960x1080 if forced to 1080i/p.

That has been answered for a while, in this thread. The answer is yes, 960x1080 if forced to 1080i/p.

I assume this hasn't been confirmed for the retail version?

However, thanks for the reply.

And yeah, so much about:

Of course it's upscaled. This is rendered in the 720p engine. There is no Killzone 2 1080p engine.

:p:D;)

PS: i know 960 x 1080p is not proper/full 1080p though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the image quality in 1080p mode i think. Only thing that wories me is if performance is affected. Could someone with the full game try out 720p vs 1080p in a very demanding scene, and report if framerate is noticably different?

I assume this hasn't been confirmed for the retail version?

GG confirmed that KZ2 will run at 960x1080 if "forced" to 1080i/p only.

I prefer the image quality in 1080p mode i think. Only thing that wories me is if performance is affected. Could someone with the full game try out 720p vs 1080p in a very demanding scene, and report if framerate is noticably different?

I think someone tried already. 720p looks better and is the preferred resolution by the devs.

I haven't watched the vids yet, but the ad being in-engine does not mean real-time. There may be additional AA added and such. The playable version may not be exactly the same. I'm not saying it isn't though.

I love conspiracy theories as much as the next guy, but a few sentences down on the PS Blog they say they're going to release a playable version of the trailer, aka you'll be able to move around in 3D space using your controller in real time.

I think that pretty much confirms that the ad is 100% real time, or more specifically, the PS3 is able to render it all in "real time" (this phrase can also be skewed, I'm assuming it'll be the standard 30fps).

I just finished KZ2 on trooper (or whatever the hell the standard difficulty setting is called) and I thought it was a truly excellent campaign, and with a satisfying conclusion to boot. Sure it was a cliffhanger, but still. The final section was a wee bit annoying, but I still got my kill boss within 20 minutes-trophy, so it couldn't have been that bad really, especially since I'm not a big fps player. (I probably play a single fps per year at the most)
The game is truly a technical achievement unlike any other on the PS3, and it's a lot of fun to play too. Wow-moments-a-plenty, especially during the second half. I also never really noticed problems with the engine-performance. The underground refinery level seemed to run a little bit more sluggish in general, but it hardly affects the gameplay since you're armed with a ridicuously overpowered weapon that does almost all the hard work for you - just point vaguely into the right direction and hold down on the trigger. Umlimited ammo is the icing on the cake. Dumb ol' Sev should have kept the damn thing.
Long story short: Love the game, gonna replay it many times over.

I read that people that have the game said the controls is the same as the demo. Deepbrown seems to think otherwise. Until I personally play it myself I would know for sure.

The final word from Guerilla is that there will be no controller patch for the retail version.

I read that people that have the game said the controls is the same as the demo. Deepbrown seems to think otherwise. Until I personally play it myself I would know for sure.

The final word from Guerilla is that there will be no controller patch for the retail version.

Felt exactly the same to me.

What about the MP controls ?
[size=-2]Shoot, servers are probably not up yet[/size]

EDIT:

Yes, they also said MP controls have been tweaked during play testing.

Developer walkthrough of MP gameplay

Spectating and explaining KZ2 Warzone:

The dev is running a dev kit (He could switch between first person and third person views).

The bullet has to be raytraced for displaying such a quality of reflection, it must be some kind of tech demo done via KZ2's engine which might result to slightly better shaders and what not. If you're just controlling a camera and nothing else then it might just be possible for such a visual fidelity then.

I love conspiracy theories as much as the next guy, but a few sentences down on the PS Blog they say they're going to release a playable version of the trailer, aka you'll be able to move around in 3D space using your controller in real time.

I think that pretty much confirms that the ad is 100% real time, or more specifically, the PS3 is able to render it all in "real time" (this phrase can also be skewed, I'm assuming it'll be the standard 30fps).

The way it's worded, the ad could be recorded in engine at a very low frame rate. There is nothing that says the playable version will be 100% identical, just that it will be a playable version. That's all I'm saying. There could be additional AA and or post processing that could be removed for the playable version.

They could be 100% identical, and that's not meant to be a conspiracy theory. I rarely trust ad or pr materials, from any company, so I was just pointing out the way the statement was worded leaves them some wiggle room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back